Yate Loons ticking, after years of good use

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

nutbar

Yate Loons ticking, after years of good use

Post by nutbar » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:07 pm

Two or three of my five orange Yate Loon D12SL-12 fans have begun ticking recently. Actually, I've noticed it for a few months, but it's suddenly become louder since yesterday, enough to be quite bothersome to a picky quiet-computing-nut like me.

Are the currently available black D12SL-12 YLs just as good as the orange ones? If so, will they be fine for horizontal use (blowing upward)?

Also, I want to pick up a hardware fan controller. Is the Scythe KAZE MASTER ACE KM02 a decent controller?

I'd like to get some Nexus or S-Flex units, but can't justify $15+ per fan right now, with the YL's priced at $3.20.

ces

Re: Yate Loons ticking, after years of good use

Post by ces » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:10 pm

nutbar wrote:Also, I want to pick up a hardware fan controller. Is the Scythe KAZE MASTER ACE KM02 a decent controller?
Scythe controller have a good reputation.

But Take a look at these. The nice part about them is that whatever you set our fans at, it is easy to replicate exactly without fiddling around with knobs or other adjustments that are difficult to replicate and return to. They make experimenting so much easier:
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/ ... s_id=25981
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/ ... s_id=21287

loimlo

Re: Yate Loons ticking, after years of good use

Post by loimlo » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:08 pm

1. If you try to oil fan's bearing, the thing may recover from ticking symptom.
2. I found Yateloons' quality weren't that consistent among batches. You may need to carefully pick out the best one from a dozen fans.
3. Scythe KAZE MASTER ACE KM02 should be a potent fan controller. That said, I've been using the least expensive solution, 5V trick, which controls my fan fairly well.

Just my 2 cents.