Serenity i7 Sandy Bridge PC, SPCR Edition, by Puget Computer

Info & chat about quiet prebuilt, small form factor and barebones systems, people's experiences with vendors thereof, etc.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

DaveLessnau

Re: Serenity i7 Sandy Bridge PC, SPCR Edition, by Puget Comp

Post by DaveLessnau » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:55 am

Interesting. My son called me and said he needs a new computer. Since he doesn't consider building a computer to be a fun hobby, I pointed him to the reviews of the Puget system. I told him there'd be a premium over building his own very similar system and buying the pre-built system. He'd also want a somewhat different configuration, but still have a quiet system. So, I went to Puget, brought up the SPCR system and modified it somewhat. This is a semi-cut-and-paste job of that configuration:

System Core
- Motherboard Asus P8P67-M Pro
- CPU Intel Core i7 2600K QUAD CORE 3.4GHz 95W
- Ram Kingston 4GB DDR3-1333 (2x2GB)
- Video Card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1024MB

Storage
- Hard Drive Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB SATA 6 Gb/s
- CD / DVD Asus 24x DVD-RW Lightscribe SATA (black)

Case / Cooling
- Case Antec P183 V3 (Gunmetal Finish)
- Power Supply Antec CP-850 850W Power Supply
- CPU Cooling Gelid Tranquillo
- Additional Cooling Case Fans Upgrade Kit (quiet)
- Case Mods AcoustiPack Acoustic Composite Sheet Package

Software
- OS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit OEM
- Software: Security Microsoft Security Essentials [NO SUPPORT]

Accessories
- Services Warranty: Lifetime Labor, 1 Year Parts

That system is priced at $1,867.07. I then went to Newegg and priced components as close to that as I could figure out (not really possible since the P67 motherboards are all off the market for a while). I assumed the three Scythe Slipstreams were the SY1225SL12M versions, didn't include the AcoustiPack, and changed the OS from OEM to full. Of course, there's also the difference in labor, build quality, testing, tweaks, warranty, etc.. The price from Newegg for the components is $1,428.36. A difference of about $440. Now, this isn't the SPCR system. But, a $440 difference for what looks like a very nice, quiet computer seems very reasonable.

ame

Post by ame » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:36 am

DaveLessnau wrote:That system is priced at $1,867.07. I then went to Newegg and priced components as close to that as I could figure out (not really possible since the P67 motherboards are all off the market for a while). I assumed the three Scythe Slipstreams were the SY1225SL12M versions, didn't include the AcoustiPack, and changed the OS from OEM to full. Of course, there's also the difference in labor, build quality, testing, tweaks, warranty, etc.. The price from Newegg for the components is $1,428.36. A difference of about $440. Now, this isn't the SPCR system. But, a $440 difference for what looks like a very nice, quiet computer seems very reasonable.
That IS very resonable.

Anand's reviewer must have done the math wrong. He had 2500K, 8GB RAM, SSD, Asus P8P67 pro and ATI 5770. How on earth did he get to "a little over $1,000 in parts " ? :?: ? I think he needs to retake that trip to newegg. I did the math and got to 1500+ and not even including dampening kit or shipping.

I feel really bad about agreeing with him without checking for myself first. :cry:

I think they should be notified about it, so they can change their review and give Puget an Editor's Choice Award, as they suggested they would if the price difference was "a couple of hundred" lower. Well as it turns out its $500 lower.

vatan007

Post by vatan007 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:15 pm

Hey guys, whats up.

Cooler master is making new cases for the silent market. Won't this be a good competitor for that antec case used by puget? I mean, 850 watts is also overkill, right? Isn't it a smart thing to get 140 mm fans? Why are the front holes so big, why the extra hole in the top? You know? Im just concerned with the psu, it sucks air from underneath and blows it out in the back.... the fan is close to the case itself, so maybe sound will be audible. the antec case features a fan in the middle bottom of the case, right behind the psu, making the sound issue less of a problem.

Look here for a fantastic PREVIEW of the case by people from the netherlands who went to the actual cebit event, with lots of pictures. Get google to translate for you. http://tweakers.net/reviews/2048/cebit- ... ent-m.html

What do you guys think?

Bakkone
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bakkone » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:18 am

Anyone over in the US feel like ordering one of those fan covers for me, and then send it to Sweden?

Puget doesn't want to ship internationally and I would really like to have one of those covers.

Metrodusa

Post by Metrodusa » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:47 am

The Puget Serenity system has inspired me to build my own system, since they do not ship to Europe. I managed to get app. the similar system with a better graphic card, the only thing bugging me is how to install the insulation foam.

I have Be Quiet Universal Midi Foam but I'm not really sure how to cut it.

Does anyone have the dimension for padding the Antec P183 V3?