Which one is the best fan of these?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Parim

Which one is the best fan of these?

Post by Parim » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:20 am

Hi all ! :D

I'm building a DAW pc, I'm making music so I want the most silent fan, without undervolting. After reading a lot of topics, I've found that a fan can't be silent after 1000rmp. So Here are the fans I can buy at the store (under 15euros) :
- Enermax T.B Silence 900rpm (8euros)
- Enermax T.B Apolish 900rpm (10euros)
- Scythe Slipstream 800rpm (10euros)
- Scythe Gentle Typhoon 800rpm (12euros)

My system will be :
- (EDIT) FSP Everest 85+ 500W (80+ bronze, but I don't know if the fan is noisy ?)
- AMD X6 1065t + Scythe Mugen 2 (no overclocking)
- 2x Samsung F4eg 2to (raid1)
- 8gig of ram

And no Graphic Card (I will use the 880g hd4200). I need just 3 fans (front/back/mugen2), I just need a gentle airflow to keep the system stable. Which fan is the most silent.

Thanks a lot !!! (PS : Sorry for the mistakes i'm french)

loimlo

Re: Which one is the best fan of these?

Post by loimlo » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:17 am

Well, I've Gentle Typhoon 1450RPM, Scythe Slipstream 1200RPM, Enermax CLUSTER 1200RPM(PWM variety), so I can share my thoughts about these fans.

They're all very quiet below 800RPM, it's difficult to discern it in a well-enclosed case like Antec P182.
1. I find GT's airflow is a bit low in comparison to other fans. That said, it's most smooth sounding fan from my experience.
2. Slipstream is fantastic in terms of airflow only if you don't plan on placing it horizontally.
3. Enermax's CLUSTER bearing, TWISTER—a magnetic driven bearing, is very very very interesting. It is neither Ball bearing nor Sleeve bearing and generates very low volume "hmm" sound if you are close enough to the fan(10cm). I can't hear the sound beyond 30cm.

Btw, I suggest you swapping FSP Everest 85+ 500W for something better. With the likes of Enermax/Seasonic 80+ Gold units, I just can't justify the decision of FSP purchase.
http://www.silentpcreview.com/Recommended_PSUs

Fire-Flare

Post by Fire-Flare » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:48 am

I too use a Mugen 2 on an AMD x6.

I'm using two Scythe Slip Stream fans in push-pull. At 675 RPM they're inaudible and all 6 cores claim to be near room temperature. (Touching the base and heatpipes with my fingers confirms that)

Parim

Post by Parim » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:25 am

Thank you guys, so they are quiet !!! I can't go wrong with any of them 8)
The Cpu fan will be placed horizontally, because I can't mount the fan vertically on the mugen 2 (the border of the heatsink is touching my old PSU). I have to avoid the slipstream for the heatsink because it will be mounted horizontaly, and the GT too because the airflow would be to low = mugen II + TB silence

For the case fan do I have to buy the Sliptream (10$) or the GT (12$), or the TB silence (8$) ?
Can I use only one case fan (air extraction) ?

The FSP here is so cheap for a modular unit 500W(68euro, 80+ bronze), the next is the cooler master Silent Pro M500 (85euros only 80+), seasonic m12II-520W (100euros), Modu87+ (120euros). I really want a modular unit, maybe I will take the cooler master it's a silentpcreview recommended psu.

Right ? :lol:

kuzzia
Friend of SPCR

Post by kuzzia » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:30 am

Why no undervolting?

thumbs up for Mugen 2 push-pull.

ces

Post by ces » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:40 am

Parim wrote:Scythe Gentle Typhoon 800rpm
The GT is the most flexible. But get a faster one, all of the GTs can be downvolted to run at 800 rpm.

The GT needs more RPM to generate the same CFM in free air than the others... but in high static situations it will deliver more CFM with less noise than the others.

Also it is the only one with real ball bearings, making it most suitable for horizontal placement.

Enermax has a neat magnetic bearing... but I would keep it away from hard drives. Also it has a reputation for noise at certain angles from either the intake or the exhaust side, I forget which.

fumino

Post by fumino » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:25 pm

the Scythe Slip Stream SY1225SL12LM-P is different from the normal slipstreams in that it has a FDB, as opposed to the standard sleeve. it too(like the GT) can be mounted in any orientation.

you can look up the stats in the scythe mugen review if you dont already know how quiet they can be. even if you only have one pwm header on your motherboard, i'd still go with this fan, just grab a pwm from someone like akasa or whoever.

plus, one will come with your mugen, so you only have to buy two more :D

johnniecache7

Post by johnniecache7 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:49 pm

fumino wrote:the Scythe Slip Stream SY1225SL12LM-P is different from the normal slipstreams in that it has a FDB, as opposed to the standard sleeve. it too(like the GT) can be mounted in any orientation.
Not according to Scythe, the Scythe Slip Stream SY1225SL12LM-P uses sleeve bearing and not the FDB bearing. I would stick to the GT, Scythe Slip Stream fans have tons of reports of dying randomly or lasting only six months.

http://www.scythe-eu.com/en/products/fa ... 0-pwm.html

Parim

Post by Parim » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:49 am

Thank you very much !!!!
Here is what i've found this morning (Soooooooooooo lucky lol !)
GT 800 :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17CO1-Wmd8g
Slipstream 800 :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tNyVa3XSDY
Enermax Appolish 900rpm (impressive !):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ozD8Np_Wao

But there is no TB silence, I wonder if it's the same as the TB Apollish ?... beacause it's 2$ cheaper lol
But you know what I think : maybe the GT is a bad sample (it screams a lot), and in some other vids it's dead quiet :(
Check this broken GT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIur2VcB0S4 (same noise character as the one in the shootout)

To my ears the TB apolish/Slipstream are smoother than the GT. The sliptream has the best airflow.
But I will go with the Enermax T.B because of the 100.000h (2 TB appolish + 1 Tb Silence)---> I will tell you if they are the same ;)

Thank you very much for your time !!!!

fumino

Post by fumino » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:35 am

johnniecache7 wrote:Not according to Scythe, the Scythe Slip Stream SY1225SL12LM-P uses sleeve bearing and not the FDB bearing. I would stick to the GT, Scythe Slip Stream fans have tons of reports of dying randomly or lasting only six months.

http://www.scythe-eu.com/en/products/fa ... 0-pwm.html
100% according to scythe. http://scythe-usa.com/product/acc/076/s ... etail.html

fwiw, the fdb is a variation on the sleeve concept, so that might have been lost in translation or whatever...

is there a way to tell by checking out the fan (i dont want to destroy it...)

AhamB

Post by AhamB » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:39 pm

fumino wrote:fwiw, the fdb is a variation on the sleeve concept, so that might have been lost in translation or whatever...
I think this is probably a simple case of human error (since the European page doesn't say it has FDB). Scythe's "real" FDB fans like the Kama Flex/Flow and S-Flex have a 120k to 150k hours MTBF, as opposed to the 30k hours for the sleeve bearing fans, from which you can IMO safely conclude that the PWM Slipstream has the same sleave bearing as the other Slipstreams.

fumino

Post by fumino » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:30 pm

yeah, youre probably right about that. scythes jp site says sleeve too. guess im glad/lucky that i didnt set up my mugen to blow out the top of my case.

AhamB

Post by AhamB » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:26 am

By the way, I have that Slipstream PWM on a CM Hyper+ 212 and it's always running at ~270rpm, inaudible. :)
The PWM control certainly is more flexible than what you can achieve with a potmeter.