Coolest running Intel CPU?

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

adder

Coolest running Intel CPU?

Post by adder » Thu Nov 06, 2003 5:25 am

Which of the following CPUs runs coolest

Celeron 1.8 with Willamette core
Celeron 2.0 with Northwood core
P4 with Willamette core

Any tables available anywhere?
I've singled these out cos they're all available at my local PC supplier!
TIA

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Thu Nov 06, 2003 6:07 am

From here.

Celeron 1.8 with Willamette core = 66W
Celeron 2.0 with Northwood core = 53W
P4 with Willamette core = 49W to 75W (for a 1.3GHz to 2.0GHz. Willemette's were available in this range)

I can't believe your supplier (in England, right? Not Uganda or some other third world country :D ) doesn't have something newer than what you've listed. Those Willamette P4's have been out of production for around 2 years now. That's an eternity in Computerland.

Look at the chart I linked. The P4 Northwoods run much cooler than those Willamettes. The 1.8A only puts out 50W and even the 2.4B only puts out around 60W. Either of them is waaay better than any of the ones you are looking at. The 2.4B is readily available and you can probably find the (discontinued already) 1.8A around if you look.

TomMM

Post by TomMM » Sun Nov 09, 2003 9:21 am

Celeron 1.7 and 1.8 are supposed to be very bad for their performance/heat ratio. Unfortunately, I bought one before I knew this.

Celeron 2.0 and above are better.

The best are supposed to be P4A's, eg. 1.6A, 1.8A, and 2.0A, but these are more expensive than the Celerons.

Tom.

ez2remember
Friend of SPCR

Post by ez2remember » Wed Nov 12, 2003 5:05 am

Ralf Hutter wrote: I can't believe your supplier (in England, right? Not Uganda or some other third world country :D ) doesn't have something newer than what you've listed. Those Willamette P4's have been out of production for around 2 years now. That's an eternity in Computerland.
Haha, it has been out of production here too, but maybe he has those CPU's lying around OR can get hold of it cheap as a second user.

I would go for the P3 1.4GHz (S) Tualatin core, you know about this one very well! :wink: ~32W. It's probably faster than many P4 1.8A..

You can get these on ebay quite cheap.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Wed Nov 12, 2003 5:11 am

ez2remember wrote:
Ralf Hutter wrote: I can't believe your supplier (in England, right? Not Uganda or some other third world country :D ) doesn't have something newer than what you've listed. Those Willamette P4's have been out of production for around 2 years now. That's an eternity in Computerland.
Haha, it has been out of production here too, but maybe he has those CPU's lying around OR can get hold of it cheap as a second user.

I would go for the P3 1.4GHz (S) Tualatin core, you know about this one very well! :wink: ~32W. It's probably faster than many P4 1.8A..

You can get these on ebay quite cheap.
You know I love the PIII-S's but it seems like everyone wants the "latest and greatest" even if it's not as good....

adder

Post by adder » Wed Nov 12, 2003 3:20 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys.
Those PIII 1.4s on ebay aren't that cheap!!
Think I've found a good one though - Celeron 1.3 with Tualatin core for £30 from a local supplier! and only 35w according to the charts!
Sound good?

ez2remember
Friend of SPCR

Post by ez2remember » Wed Nov 12, 2003 3:42 pm

adder wrote:Thanks for the feedback guys.
Those PIII 1.4s on ebay aren't that cheap!!
Think I've found a good one though - Celeron 1.3 with Tualatin core for £30 from a local supplier! and only 35w according to the charts!
Sound good?
I have found the P3 1.4s for £50 buy it now or you can make a bid for £30 and see if anyone else auctions for it. There was quite a few..

But be warned the motherboard is harder to get hold off, you need a motherboard that support upto the Ghz mentioned and also the Tualatin core. I have found a supplier again from ebay who sells a QDI motherboard which support this at £40 incl. free delivery.

The deal you mentioned is not bad, it really depends how much power you want. The celeron tualatin cores only have 256kb cache compared to the 512 in the P3-S.

adder

Post by adder » Wed Nov 12, 2003 3:54 pm

Yes didn't see them 1st time, but all those buy it now for £50 have been sold when you click on the link.
Is there really that much difference between this PIII 1.4 and the Celeron 1.3???

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Thu Nov 13, 2003 6:09 am

adder wrote:Yes didn't see them 1st time, but all those buy it now for £50 have been sold when you click on the link.
Is there really that much difference between this PIII 1.4 and the Celeron 1.3???
Yes, there's quite a noticeable difference. The biggest part of the difference comes from the PIII-S running at 133MHz while the Celeron only runs at 100MHz. The second part of the difference comes from the PIII-S having twice the cache of the Cleleron.

That being said, what I'd do (assuming I could find a Socket 370 mobo that OCed and supported Tualatins) would be to buy a 1.1A Celeron and overclock it to 133MHz. You can do that on stock Vcore easily. So you end up with a 1463MHz Celeron. It will run almost as good as a 1400MHz PIII-S for about 1/3 the price.

ez2remember
Friend of SPCR

Post by ez2remember » Thu Nov 13, 2003 8:47 am

adder wrote:Yes didn't see them 1st time, but all those buy it now for £50 have been sold when you click on the link.
Yes you are right, they all sold off like hot cakes! When I first saw them they were all available about 3/4 days ago.. I think I found about 5 or so @£50 B.I.N. I should stop advertising here, instead PM you with the info. I have a feeling a lot of potential buyers comes from SPCR, even though they may not be forum members. A just wonder how big the SPCR UK audience is?

marc999
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by marc999 » Thu Nov 13, 2003 10:34 am

My tb1 stepping 1.3 Ghz Tualatin Celeron OCs to 133 FSB at default voltage. And that utility, AIDA32 or whatever, lists its max speed as 2400Mhz. I don't know how reliable that information is, and even so it's obviously useless with the locked multiplyers of Intel CPUS and Tualatin MOBOs not supporting fixed AGP/PCI. Anyway, the point being, that if it's a tb1 you probably don't have to worry about going down to a 1.1 Ghz Celeron. I'm tempted to try buing a 1.4 Ghz just to see if it would work at 133 FSB!! :D

However, one mistake I made was that I wanted RAID SATA, USB 2.0 and Firewire. By the time I added all that up, I could have got a Canterwood PIV system for not much more (since it's all integrated into the MOBO). :cry:

Still, if you don't need the above, the Tualatin Celeron's are good preformers once OC'd to a 133 FSB (actually, even it not they're still pretty darn good).

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Thu Nov 13, 2003 11:50 am

marc999 wrote:My tb1 stepping 1.3 Ghz Tualatin Celeron OCs to 133 FSB at default voltage.
You've got yourself a very rare 1.3 there. Very, very few, even the tB1's OC to 133FBS even with healthy doses of Vcore. Even 1.2's generally need a fair amount of juice to get to 133MHz.

And the problem is if it won't get to 133MHz your AGP/PCI speeds will become an issue because most all the OC-able S370 boards use a 3:1 divider that doesn't change to 4:1 until 133MHz. So if you can only get to say, 124MHZ your AGP/PCI will be running at 82/41MHz which is too fast.

Jan Kivar
Friend of SPCR

Post by Jan Kivar » Thu Nov 13, 2003 2:29 pm

My Cel-T 1.3 GHz is currently running 1300 MHz, 1.15V. Haven't tried overclocking, as I run a BX board with four sticks of RAM. There is no point in overclocking if I have to run with <256 MB of RAM.

Plus, I don't think that my stock Intel HS/Papst NGL/FanMate ~7 volts -combo would give me much headroom... Hey, it's a quiet system, not HC OC station... :)

Cheers,

Jan

ez2remember
Friend of SPCR

Post by ez2remember » Tue Nov 18, 2003 2:31 am

niko wrote:Jan,
you run a tualatin in a BX board? - that is, using a powerleap adapter or what? Would like to know a little more ...
I believe you can run Tualatin on a BX board with a special adaptor. The only thing is you have to make sure, is your motherboard supports the right frequency. So if your BX board supports a max of 100mhz FSB then you can only get 100MHz Tualatin CPU's such as the Celeron tualatin. I have seen these advertise on ebay saying it works on almost all BX boards.. The adaptor cost about $10.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Jan Kivar
Friend of SPCR

Post by Jan Kivar » Fri Nov 21, 2003 1:11 pm

niko wrote:Jan,
you run a tualatin in a BX board? - that is, using a powerleap adapter or what? Would like to know a little more ...
Sorry for the late reply, I've been rather busy with my studies...

Yes, I do use the PowerLeap adapter. There are other adapters also, but PowerLeap has built-in VRM on the adapter, so the VRM on the board is not used at all. [VRM stands for Voltage Regulation Module, and is used for making the operating voltage for the processor; as the PSU supplies only 12, 5 and 3,3 V to the motherboard.]

Some say that the PowerLeap adapter has less overclocking potential, but as I don't OC, it's really nice to have total voltage control, thanks to the PowerLeap VRM (goes from 1,05 V to 1,8 V, 0,05 V increments). My ABit BX6-r2 goes only to 1,3 V, and I think that most BX boards don't have so low voltage settings.

Also, some BX boards have "underpowered" VRMs to use a Tualatin, so running a Tualatin might kill the board. PowerLeap is safer, as it has it's own VRM.

Here's couple of posts/threads (do look the entire thread, there might be more than one post) where I describe the computer:
One.
Two.
Three.
Four.

There might be even more, that's just what the search brought up.

If You have any more questions, please do ask them. I'll try to visit at least two times a week. [Compared to two times a day... that's what I normally do when I'm not this busy...]

Cheers,

Jan