Zotac IONITX-T-U vs. ASUS AT5IONT-I

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

snakyjake

Zotac IONITX-T-U vs. ASUS AT5IONT-I

Post by snakyjake » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:27 pm

What are the differences between Zotac IONITX-T-U vs. ASUS AT5IONT-I?

Looking at HTPC CPU/motherboard options and came across mini-itx.

Thanks,
Jake

ces

Re: Zotac IONITX-T-U vs. ASUS AT5IONT-I

Post by ces » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:43 pm

Will it run at idle most of the time?

If so, have you considered using a low end Sandy Bridge on an ITX board? At idle the 4 core version of the chip uses about 4 watts. Even if the Atom cpu uses 0 watts at idle, there isn't that much difference in power utilization.

In terms of work per watt, I believe the Sandy Bridge is substantially superior. Plus it provides you as much horsepower as you need, when you need it, for whatever goofy operating system that MS might come up with in the future.

My recollection of the total cost difference including motherboard cost is about $100 if you are talking about a 4 core SB and even less if you are talking about a 2 core SB.

snakyjake

Post by snakyjake » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:04 pm

I've been looking at the i3 2100T too. But I want a fanless system for HTPC. I'm assuming the ATOM/ION2 is the way to go.

nzdcoy

Post by nzdcoy » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:10 pm

Mainly onboard WIFI.

Will 2 Sata ports be enough?

I say atom or fusion if HTPC (playback) is the most taxing thing it is going to be used for.

re: price,
Titus wrote:Even going with the most expensive E-350 on Newegg, you'd save about $100 on the Motherboard+CPU combo
^^that was re: 2 core SB

ces

Post by ces » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:41 pm

snakyjake wrote:I've been looking at the i3 2100T too. But I want a fanless system for HTPC. I'm assuming the ATOM/ION2 is the way to go.
Maybe.

If you do a 2 core SB with a Thermalright HR-1 Plus, you could comfortably go fanless... even with a 4 core SB will do well passively with the HR1-plus. Some tested the HR1-plus fanless with a hotter older generation 4 core.... my recollection is that even then it somehow hung on (barely) even under benchmarking conditions that your cpu would never see and if it did, wouldn't generate the heat of the older generation 4 core.

Even under playback conditions it will not generate much more heat, if any, than an Atom. And there is no Atom heatsink that can even approach the heat wicking capability of the HR1-plus which was designed to operate fanless, but can still keep up with todays top tier heatsinks if you mount a fan to it.

And it is my understanding that many, most or all of the motherboards with the built in atom, don't give you an option to go fanless without some tricky mounting modification..... ie they come with crappy non-standard cpu heat sink fans.

Also look around the forums here, maybe here,
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=61485
to see why is isn't worth wasting your money on the 2100T. Just get the cheapest SB. I think you can get the 2400 for about $150 at Microcenter. Hook is up to a fanless Thermalright HR-1 Plus... you will do well.

For about $100 and a handful of watts you will have a green computer that will be able to do anything you might ever ask of it... something you really can't say about an atom.

Intead of relying on estimates why don't you go to Microcenter and Newegg and price out two systems. See what you find. Let us know what you find.

nzdcoy

Post by nzdcoy » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:02 pm

ces wrote: Just get the cheapest SB. I think you can get the 2400 for about $150 at Microcenter.
For about $100 and a handful of watts you will have a green computer that will be able to do anything you might ever ask of it...
Huh?

do you mean $100 more?

ces

Post by ces » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:45 pm

nzdcoy wrote:do you mean $100 more?
Yes. I should have made that more clear.