I'm Green! I'm Green! I'm Green! I'm Green!

A forum just for SPCR's folding team... by request.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

riffst3r

Post by riffst3r » Wed Jul 30, 2003 1:24 pm

and i didn't even get some of that popcorn...

:)

wussboy

Post by wussboy » Wed Jul 30, 2003 8:42 pm

Sigh. All things must end. I am now white again. :( But damn! It was fun while it lasted!

Zhentar
Patron of SPCR

Post by Zhentar » Wed Jul 30, 2003 8:58 pm

I'm still orange.. but in the folding farm thread I said I'd be able to borg one last computer.... well it turns out I was wrong. That EVIL computer keeps on crashing, though I could've sworn I fixed it for good last time.

The only thing that can fix it is to install a window in one of the offices, so we can throw the computer out it (14th floor :twisted: )

lenny
Patron of SPCR

Post by lenny » Thu Jul 31, 2003 9:54 am

Zhentar wrote:I'm still orange.. but in the folding farm thread I said I'd be able to borg one last computer.... well it turns out I was wrong. That EVIL computer keeps on crashing, though I could've sworn I fixed it for good last time.

The only thing that can fix it is to install a window in one of the offices, so we can throw the computer out it (14th floor :twisted: )
Riff, still time for popcorn! :) Sorry to laugh at your misfortunes, Zhentar. But your experience has indeed been entertaining many of us (I guess I need to get out more :-) )

For the crashing machine, try memtest86. Do a google search. There's an ISO or floppy image. You boot into it, and it does an exhaustive test of your machine's memory. I found a problem with overclocking my CPU that way (intermittent cache coherency problems), and also with interaction between two sticks of RAM (needed to change memory timing - SPD settings didn't work). Since it runs on its own, it also isolates you from bad Windows drivers, Windows / Linux kernel issues, etc.

It's easy to use (just burn and boot), it's a very good test, and best of all, it's free.

Zhentar
Patron of SPCR

Post by Zhentar » Thu Jul 31, 2003 11:59 am

I already ran memtest86, one of the sticks pulled a few thousand errors, so I swapped it out. The new stuff works fine. And that didn't even fix the problems the first time through.

lenny
Patron of SPCR

Post by lenny » Thu Jul 31, 2003 10:05 pm

Zhentar wrote:I already ran memtest86, one of the sticks pulled a few thousand errors, so I swapped it out. The new stuff works fine. And that didn't even fix the problems the first time through.
Does it crash when it's not folding? Other suspects: marginal power supply, and after that just about everything under the sun (MB, CPU, drivers, hard drive, bad karma, sunspots).

Say a prayer to the PC gods and sacrifice a lamb or a chicken. If that doesn't work, a stick of dynamite might :-)

Zhentar
Patron of SPCR

Post by Zhentar » Thu Jul 31, 2003 10:13 pm

its not folding. I don't trust it to.

Already replaced PSU with one that I used with my system for a while, so I know it works. I ran prime95 for like 6 hours with no errors.

Bad karma and sunspots are the only ones that seem probable, but I'm gonna run a HD diagnostic some time.

Chicken? I guess I'll eat KFC tomorrow or something :)

riffst3r

Post by riffst3r » Fri Aug 01, 2003 1:13 am

yay. im green. i wanna be yellow now. hmph.

wussboy

Post by wussboy » Wed Aug 06, 2003 5:46 pm

I'm now have future conquests that are people who are still producing. In the past I've only challenged people who dropped out (were grey). Yay!

mormakil

Post by mormakil » Wed Oct 29, 2003 3:06 am

I'm green too :D . It won't last probably, but i'll try.

Watch out PaleMelanesian, I won't let you go far away. And top 100 here I go.

NeilBlanchard

I have rejoined the ranks of the...

Post by NeilBlanchard » Wed Nov 05, 2003 6:27 pm

Hello:

I have rejoined the ranks of the green! :) Which is excellent, though at one point (when I had two fast machines folding) I was well into the yellow zone... :roll:

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Tue Nov 11, 2003 12:32 am

I'm green today mates.

Congrats on hitting the Top 100 mormakil. Check your rear view mirror though. Frank is going to blow by you so fast you won't even notice, but hey, who is that W-A-Y back there...? :shock: :twisted:

David

mormakil

Post by mormakil » Tue Nov 11, 2003 2:35 am

JeJe. I can't fight with those yellow fellows.

But you wont catch me ever david :P (Probably you will remember this in the future and laugh about it :))

Both Frank and mas92264 are really helping the team. We are almost in the 70Ks a week.

PaleMelanesian

Post by PaleMelanesian » Tue Nov 11, 2003 9:43 am

Yeah, good job all of you. I don't stand a chance agains mas or Frank.

Sorry mormakil, but I've borged a few boxes at work now. They're not much - a 1000 and a 500, but they give a boost now and then.

mormakil

Post by mormakil » Tue Nov 11, 2003 1:33 pm

Yes, you have gone away from me PaleMelanesian, if only I could turn the Athlon XP 1800 24/7 on, I could keep you in sight.

I guess I'd make 700 points a week, but that's my mother's pc and making her understanding the Folding cause is a bit difficult :).

Meanwhile I'm getting used to have mine 24/7, but my Antec TruePower is really pissing me off. The 92mm fan is making some more wine noise than usual, I'm really thinking of moding it.

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Wed Nov 12, 2003 1:22 am

I'm still green and plan to STAY that way, maybe even be a shade of yellow from time to time. My teenage son has finally "convinced me" to build him his own PC. I have most of the "peripherals", left-overs from previous upgrades, including a case, psu, keyboard, mouse, DVD drive, cpu heatsink, case fans, and a video card, so I "just" need a motherboard, cpu, and memory. Well, and a monitor. And another copy of Windows XP. That'll give me a total of 10GHz of "folding power", and all of it will be mine. As an aside (since it has nothing to do with Folding), total disk space will be ~1 Terabyte. I fill up disks recording HD. My son fills them up with video from a digital camcorder.

I am now ranked in the top 65K Folders. :)

Mormakil - my overtake date has advanced to February 16. You got something in reserve? :wink:

David

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Fri Nov 14, 2003 12:22 am

mormakil wrote:But you wont catch me ever david :P
extremeoverclocking now predicts I will overtake you Jan 4. RUN!!! :wink:

I think it was just a huge coincidence that I had so many WU's complete yesterday. Today should be more normal. :roll: 8)

It's the "race" that's fun, so I hope you can keep me at bay past, oh, say mid December? :twisted:

David

According to the little stats box, I have advanced 15,000 places in two days, from a User Rank of 64,xxx to 48,751. I think I won't be able to maintain that pace. :lol:

mormakil

Post by mormakil » Fri Nov 14, 2003 2:01 am

Well, I'll try to have more pcs more time on, and avoid you to catch me :)

I think, Extremeoverclocking stats use the last seven days points to calculate how much do you make per day, so it's less prompt to daily variations. So if you keep with your progression and stay at 700 points per week, I'll have a lot of trouble to keep you away :)

Let's exchange information, these are my boxes:

1. Athlon XP 2500, this is my pc and now I'm used to sleep with it on (even with that noisy TP330) so it produces ~60 points a day.
2. Athlon XP 1800, my mother's pc, she usually forget to turn it off, so I'm lucky. I'll try to turn it on more often, but not at nights :(. Maybe 35 points a day if I turn it on all day (not night)
3. Athlon 900. My brother's. It's damm slow. It started a 70 points tinker some week and a half ago and it's still at the middle. If only it was on more often.
4. Athlon 1000. My father's. It's only on maybe less than 15 hours per week. It have only completed 2 WUs.

So, what do you have to fight me? :twisted: :)

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Fri Nov 14, 2003 3:26 am

mormakil wrote:Well, I'll try to have more pcs more time on, and avoid you to catch me :)

I think, Extremeoverclocking stats use the last seven days points to calculate how much do you make per day, so it's less prompt to daily variations. So if you keep with your progression and stay at 700 points per week, I'll have a lot of trouble to keep you away :)

Let's exchange information, these are my boxes:

1. Athlon XP 2500, this is my pc and now I'm used to sleep with it on (even with that noisy TP330) so it produces ~60 points a day.
2. Athlon XP 1800, my mother's pc, she usually forget to turn it off, so I'm lucky. I'll try to turn it on more often, but not at nights :(. Maybe 35 points a day if I turn it on all day (not night)
3. Athlon 900. My brother's. It's damm slow. It started a 70 points tinker some week and a half ago and it's still at the middle. If only it was on more often.
4. Athlon 1000. My father's. It's only on maybe less than 15 hours per week. It have only completed 2 WUs.

So, what do you have to fight me? :twisted: :)
I am a notorious lier, but here goes... :wink:

I haven't kept track of each machine's daily production, so my numbers are based on the current WU (all Gromacs) and Electron Microscope's estimate of the total time. I'm reporting 4 cpu's since the P4C has hyperthreading enabled, so I'm running two instances of F@H. The 4th machine has yet to complete it's first WU.

1. P4B 2.4 - 73 ppd. This is my "daily driver".
2. P4C 2.4 - 110 ppd. This is my HTPC, which by it's nature does nothing 99% of the time, so it makes a perfect folding machine. 110 seems like way too high a number, but EM reports it will complete a 53 pointer in 23 hours AND a 36 pointer in 14 hours, so at least for these WU's, that seems to be a good number. Certainly an impressive number!
3. Athlon XP 2000+ Shuttle XPC - 53 ppd. This seems a bit low, but a 51.4 point WU will take 23:15 according to EM. This machine may get "retired" since it's damn noisy and really does NOTHING except Fold.
4. P3 700MHz notebook. I have this one set to stop after completing it's first and only WU. 153 hours for 53 points (8 points per day) just doesn't seem worth the electricity. I mean, that's SEVEN TIMES slower than the slowest of the other three. There's no way that's a 700MHz cpu.

That's what, 236 points per day? Extremoverclocking says I have booked 154 points in the last 24 hours, 726 points in the last 7 days, or just over 100 points per day, so something isn't adding up. Maybe the numbers Electron Microscope reports are "optomistic"?

David

Edit: Part of the "mystery" of why the points don't add up has been solved - the HTPC only completed it's first WU on the 11th, so Extremeoverclocking stats don't reflect a full week at "full production". Mixed in have also been a few Tinkers, which really did take a long time to complete, for relatively few points.

dukla2000
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by dukla2000 » Fri Nov 14, 2003 4:01 am

haysdb wrote:... Maybe the numbers Electron Microscope reports are "optomistic"?...
Usually OK - ot is a simple multiplication of the time for the last frame * number of frames. But the base system against which points are assigned is an old Celeron (500?) with no SSE, so occasionally there are some really weird scores: I have had 57 pointer Gromacs that finish in half the time of 53 pointer Gromacs!

Certainly for 2.4 Athlons 70 points/day (on Gromacs) is about right, so your ballparks for systems 1 & 3 are plausible. I cant spell hyperthreading so dont know what is reasonable.

On the P3 - if it has SSE (mine does) you should be able to get about 25 points/day on Gromacs (I get about 40 from a 1.2M). Make sure all the power saving stuff is disabled. The good old "-advmethods -forceasm" options should reduce the Tinker hit and ensure any SSE/3DNow you have is used.

mormakil - same for your brother's/father's systems: if they have 3DNow they could be over 20 points/day (24hour) if you feed them Gromacs!

mormakil

Post by mormakil » Fri Nov 14, 2003 5:08 am

dukla2000 wrote: mormakil - same for your broter's/father's systems: if they have 3DNow they could be over 20 points/day (24hour) if you feed them Gromacs!
Yes, for sure. The problem is they can't be 24 hour on and that my brother's is still stuck in it's first Tinker WU :x .

David, it seems that only with your second machine you can beat me for sure. I guess I'll see you soon passing me at a good speed :(. But, that's good for the team.

Great idea the competitive aspect of the project. I wonder how much points will be losing them without that aspect?

Zyzzyx
Friend of SPCR

Post by Zyzzyx » Fri Nov 14, 2003 7:57 am

Hmm. All this proud chat of systems again. And here I am sad that I've lost a bunch.

No longer Folding: 3 P4-2.4, 2 Celeron-2.2, 2 P3-800

Leaving me with my one system at work and home systems.

P4-2.2
AMD 1600
AMD 1700
P3-566

Gonna be interesting to see how sharply my production drops. Already cut my daily in half from the day before. :(

I'll be back in the sights of Sbabb here fairly soon.

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Tue Nov 18, 2003 2:00 am

mormakil - The date has moved up to Nov 27, and I think this is now a reasonable date until I get the new PC put together.

I should hit the top 100 on Thursday. Yay! :D

David

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Fri Nov 21, 2003 12:08 am

Look behind you mormakil. :lol:

I celebrated my birthday with a 346 point day. I don't expect THAT to happen again for awhile. All the planets were aligned. I actually "cheated" a little, stopping one of the two clients on my Hyperthreading-enabled machine just long enough that the other WU would complete before midnight. 8)

What's interesting is that I am just two places behind you, and yet none of the next 6 people I will pass will be you, according the the "Upcoming Conquests" chart at extremeoverclocking.

I'm giving you a hard time, but not to be lost in the friendly bullshitting is that you are a "rising star" in your own right. Those 565 points in the last week is 25th best on the team. That ain't nothing to sneeze at. With another week like this one, you could be in the top 80.

David

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Fri Nov 21, 2003 12:21 am

Looking ahead (of me in the rankings), after my conquest of mormakil, all I see is boring gray and white ;) until 57th place, except for Frank Condron and PaleMelanesian, and I ain't catchin' THOSE two. Actually I am on Pele's "Potential Threats" chart, but I think that's an aberation caused by my big day today.

David

mormakil

Post by mormakil » Fri Nov 21, 2003 1:29 am

Yes, I still remember some words I said haysdb :D

With 7 CPUs I can't fight you. I've been trying to keep pcs more time on, but nobody seems to understand why :D. My 640 points week record it's that a record. I don't think I will be able to go up more than that. But I'll keep trying and at least I'll try to remain green. Now I'm going to turn on my 1800XP but it's stuck with one of that damm 70.90 points Tinker :evil:

About the future, after being passed by you :), I expect to keep climbing up slow but steadly, I have a boring time,as you said, but at the same time easy time of passing grey and low white people.

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Fri Nov 21, 2003 12:03 pm

"low white people" :shock:

:lol:

The "7 cpu's" number is misleading. The actual number is 4. One was a notebook computer that was more trouble to keep up and running than it was worth. It completed one WU and part of another and got shut down for good. The partially completed WU was "transplanted" to another machine and completed. "Two" of the CPU's are a P4C with Hyperthreading enabled. I don't know where the other one of the 7 came from. Maybe when I swapped CPU's from one motherboard to another. I don't know how they identify unique cpu's. Probably in another few days, since the other cpu's are no longer "active", the count will show 5 (the HT-enabled machine counts as 2).

David

PaleMelanesian

Post by PaleMelanesian » Fri Nov 21, 2003 12:22 pm

I had to stop one folder (xp2000), due to instability. It's at work, and it's not mine, and it has another purpose in life.

That leaves me with these:
p3 500
p3 1000
xp1800 *2
xp1900
xp2100

Unless I get more machines (doubtful), I think you will be passing me, David. It's more a question of when. It's been varying from next month to 2005, so it's hard to say. In the long run, we'll all be nice and cozy somewhere near the top.

mormakil

Post by mormakil » Fri Nov 21, 2003 12:31 pm

haysdb wrote:"low white people" :shock:

:lol:

David
I did not intend to make a joke but after all ... :). Now I'm reading "The Grapes of Wrath" so maybe it's my subsconscious fault :) (BTW I recomend it to all of you who have not read it, now that your pc is silent you can read it :)). Sorry for my bad English I'm back from a party right now and I must be making a lot of mistakes :).
Last edited by mormakil on Fri Nov 21, 2003 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FJC

Post by FJC » Fri Nov 21, 2003 12:50 pm

haysdb wrote: except for Frank Condron and PaleMelanesian, and I ain't catchin' THOSE two. David
LOL, I am blessed with quite a few computers (really, 4 good folders and a couple that are so slow they only complete a single WU per week).

I'll be bringing another 2Ghz system online within a week, and maybe more after that...