FT02 Build Advice

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

darunium

FT02 Build Advice

Post by darunium » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:48 am

Hi All,

I'm moving my rig to an FT02, but have concerns about VGA cooling. I emailed Silverstonetek about the Scythe musashi, and they said cooling performance would be decreased due to heatpipe orientation. Great. My stock VGA coolers have horizontally oriented heatpipes, but they exhaust mostly downwards (towards the bottom of the FT02), which they say decreases performance.

So I have two questions:

1) are there any VGA coolers that owners know works well in the FT02

2) One my cards takes up the 6th and 7th expansion slots. My optical drive clearance is fine but is it going to get enough airflow?

Thanks, any advice is appreciated. Should I just get an Antec 1200 and be done with it?

Anatorax

Re: FT02 Build Advice

Post by Anatorax » Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:50 am

Hi,

1) For the first issue see this topic: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=61186

2) I have heard on some forums that it works generally fine in those slots. Check a topic about FT02 on hardforum. It has over 100+ pages, I bet you will find answer on anything there.

Arbutus

Post by Arbutus » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:56 pm

darunium wrote:...cooling performance would be decreased due to heatpipe orientation...any advice is appreciated...
I suspect that the cooling performance will remain above a safe threshold with an adequate safety margin.

darunium

Post by darunium » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:22 pm

sorry I forgot to update here, thank you guys for the insight, I also posted over at the infinite hardforum FT02 thread.

I ultimately decided to pull the trigger on it. My investigation leads me to believe that the stock cooling solutions I have will work admirably in the case, and that my current setup will work inside the FT02 nicely. If I so desire I may investigate after-market cooling solutions that have a high probability of success, for example the AC Accelero Twin Turbo Pro looks like it would work nicely on a card in either position, but in particular I am considering trying to use it as a passive cooling solution on the middle card, since the lower AP181 has direct access to it, and I imagine may funnel air right up across those fins. I don't know if it would work, and am hesitant to try (in reality the air may just avoid the fins, given how tight they are, and move around them), but it's a possibility.