Smallest itx or mATX case that allows tower HS + 1 fan?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

ist.martin

Post by ist.martin » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:39 pm

I need to replace my current 0 dB system, and I plan on something very simple. It will likely be just an i3 2100, mb graphics, internal optical (slimline is fine), and a single SSD.

However, after my foray into 0 dB, and subsequent overheating and drive cooking, I'd like my new system to have a large tower heatsink, and a single internal low rpm fan.

So, starting with those reqs, what is the smallest, simplest case(s) that I should be looking at? I really am looking for something that is totally inaudible from 3 feet away - right now, the only moving part in my system is a spinning 2.5" HD and it is agonizingly loud :)

ces

Re: Smallest itx or mATX case that allows tower HS + 1 fan?

Post by ces » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:04 pm

Are you willing to go with a picoPSU?

JamieG

Post by JamieG » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:07 am

ces wrote:Are you willing to go with a picoPSU?
If you are willing to use a picoPSU - consider the Lian Li Q07. Mount a single low speed fan on the rear side of the tower heatsink and it will act as an exhaust.

SevenFour

Post by SevenFour » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:47 am

Or you could go with the Intel DH61AG motherboard. It requires an external power brick though (as does picoPSU).

ist.martin

Post by ist.martin » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:35 am

Yes, I think so. Although I've heard that the brick recommended by JohnnyGuru (PW-19v6A3) can be very noisy. Are there known silent bricks?

Also, just to cover all bases, what is the smallest case for a simple system, with a tower HS and one fan, that uses a full size ATX PS?

Thanks.

Abula

Post by Abula » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:34 am

You also have to realize that tower HS will limit small the case can be, there are low profile coolers that might allow smaller cases, but most of the time the towers heatsinks perform better, so its tradeoffs.

Personally for someone looking for 1 fan setup, i would go picoPSU + Lian Li Q11 (frontal 140mm fan, maybe swap it for a Noiseblocker NB-BlackSilentPro PK-1) + Thermalright HR02, the placement of the mobo (on most) will have the heatsink very close to the case fan, allowing to use the only case fan that the Q11 has for also cooling the heatsink. Here is a build with Q11, similar (as an extra comes with dedicated gpu), his intentions was to use only 1 fan on the setup and all passive cooling, mATX mobo in Lian Li Q11 mini-ITX build.
ist.martin wrote:
Yes, I think so. Although I've heard that the brick recommended by JohnnyGuru (PW-19v6A3) can be very noisy. Are there known silent bricks?
Can you link where you read its noisy? btw the link that the review used to send was to FSP 120AAB 19V, but now it links to a different brick, so idk what happen, probably they change supplies.

I run my setup on 150XT and 150W 12V psu from short-circuit, and i dont hear any noise from the brick.
ist.martin wrote:Also, just to cover all bases, what is the smallest case for a simple system, with a tower HS and one fan, that uses a full size ATX PS?
The Q11 and Q07 can fit standard ATX PSU with in a small box, but the PSU are mounted right on top of the cpu so you wont be able to use tower CPU cooler, you will have to find a low profile cooler.

Now if you want a more traditional tower case for micro atx that will fit a tall heatsink and standard atx psu, then check Fractal Design Define Mini (bottom mounted standard PSU on a micro ATX case) and Silverstone Temjin TJ08E top mounted PSU but its own compartment and its own dedicated hole on the top, and only uses one 180mm fan (not sure how its noise or how low can you undervolt it), the 120mm back is optional. This both are very wide cases, should allow the placement of the HR02 (check your mobo and memory to see if all will fit).
Last edited by Abula on Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

ist.martin

Post by ist.martin » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:38 am

SevenFour wrote:
Or you could go with the Intel DH61AG motherboard. It requires an external power brick though (as does picoPSU).
That's it! It is exactly what I want. A 19V external brick seems so practical, since most of the worlds laptop bricks will work.

OK, so what is the smallest case/HS for a DH61AG/i3-2100 where COOL and SILENT are the priorities. I.e., I'll go as large a case as I need to guarantee it's inaudible from 3 feet, and stays quite cool.

Thanks.

Abula

Post by Abula » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:12 am

ist.martin wrote:
SevenFour wrote:
That's it! It is exactly what I want. A 19V external brick seems so practical, since most of the worlds laptop bricks will work.

OK, so what is the smallest case/HS for a DH61AG/i3-2100 where COOL and SILENT are the priorities. I.e., I'll go as large a case as I need to guarantee it's inaudible from 3 feet, and stays quite cool.

Thanks.
Well if you are set on the mobo, just know that it just came out, starting to get in stock, seems canada computers has it for special order, Intel Desktop Board BOXDH61AG Socket 1155 Intel H61 Chipset 2x SATA 3.0Gb/s 1x eSATA GigaLAN 10-Ch HD Audio 10x USB 2.0 2x USB 3.0 Mini ATX

If you wish to read more about the mobo, check Missing remote Intel DH61AG Media Series Mini-ITX Motherboard and Core i5-2390T, just worth mentioning that this mobo has mSata port, so you could even go with small ssd that you mount inside the mobo, like Intel Solid-State Drives 310 series, i think ncix has it, but not sure its the same the pic is confusing, INTEL 80G MINI PCI-E MSATA SSD.

ist.martin

Post by ist.martin » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:25 am

Thanks for all the info.

I guess I have got the sequence backwards here.

My first step, given a board like the DH61AG with an external brick, should be identifying the 'smallest' heatstink/fan that can keep the system very cool, and be inaudible from 3 feet.

After that, I should identify the smallest case that can house that heatsink/fan.

I am unable to find the link to the poster who said the PW-19V6A3 brick was noisy, but I'll keep looking.

Also, I recently looked at a post on an SPCR forum where they listed detailed temperatures for a wide variety of heatsinks. I cannot find that from searching. Does anyone know the link I am talking about?