My Opinion About Thermalright TY-140 fan (little Review)

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Lele81

My Opinion About Thermalright TY-140 fan (little Review)

Post by Lele81 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:33 am

My Opinion About Thermalright TY-140 fan

Hi,
yesterday I bought one of those fans, I think someone would appreciate a little personal opinion about it!

Well, the fan, as you know, is a 140mm PWM, with 120mm holes without any adapter included in the box. Actually there's nothing else but the fan itself in the package!
But I appreciated the ECO-Material Box, that is entirely composed of....PAPER. Very very good, thermalright!
The dimensions are 140mm x 160mm x 25mm, so, not all the 120mm holes will be goot for fitting the fan.

But let's talk about performance/ noise:

The fan is FANTASTIC.
There is no clue of ticking noises or something annoying, both in vertical or orizontal placement....the only thing you'll hear, is the sound of the air that is moving.
At low RPM is dead silent...you can barely hear it at 800rpm, but at the same time it moves air!
At full speed of 1300rpm it makes some noise, but it is still very quiet, considering the air that moves and the pression of it!!!

The only bad notes are the sequent:
the noise raises very much if you place the fan where there is something blocking the intake of the air. To be clear: if the fan push air in a radiator or in a grill....it's ok, but if the fan TAKE air FROM a radiator or a grill, the noise raise very very much, and I don't know why.
And the other note is that the power cable is too short.

So, the fan is wonderful, performant and silent, but you can't place it for example in the front of the case.
You can place it on top of the case, only if you put the fan pushing air versus the grll and not taking air from it.

That's all...11 euros that surely WORTH!

Bye ;-)

frenchie
Friend of SPCR

Re: My Opinion About Thermalright TY-140 fan (little Review)

Post by frenchie » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:55 pm

Thank you for the review ! (maybe it should have been in the review subforum ;) )
I wonder if those fans are in the next fan round-up... :?:

Garak

Post by Garak » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:47 pm

Could you be more specific about the length of the power cable please?

I am thinking about pairing one with a Silverstone NT06-E, if anyone reading this has any comments about that.

Lele81

Post by Lele81 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:10 am

Those fans have been reviewed in the last 140mm fans roundup from X Bit Labs...I hope Silentpcreview will test it too, because I think that today this is the best PWM fan (and not only, also one of the best buys for 140mm fans....or 120mm it depends if you have adapters or not).

Garak: of course, the length of the power cable is exactely 25 centimeters, connector included!

I don't know those Silverstones, sorry :-)

Frank Benign

Post by Frank Benign » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:27 pm

Lele81 wrote: The fan is FANTASTIC.
There is no clue of ticking noises or something annoying, both in vertical or orizontal placement....the only thing you'll hear, is the sound of the air that is moving.
At low RPM is dead silent...you can barely hear it at 800rpm, but at the same time it moves air!
At full speed of 1300rpm it makes some noise, but it is still very quiet, considering the air that moves and the pression of it!!!
Yes, they are great fans. I have 2 of them on my Thermalright Silver Arrow cooling an i7-875K. Idling @ 600 RPM. Much quieter than the 2 Noiseblocker 120mm BlackSilent XLP pwm case fans idling @ 1300 RPM.
Lele81 wrote: The only bad notes are the sequent:
the noise raises very much if you place the fan where there is something blocking the intake of the air. To be clear: if the fan push air in a radiator or in a grill....it's ok, but if the fan TAKE air FROM a radiator or a grill, the noise raise very very much, and I don't know why.
Thanks for the tip. I was about to add a 3rd fan to my heatsink to double as an exhaust fan (it would be quite close to the rear fan grill), and thus replace the 120mm Noiseblocker, but now I'll keep things as they.
Lele81 wrote: And the other note is that the power cable is too short.
Mine are connected to the CPU fan header via a PWM Y-cable, which is quite long.

Lele81

Post by Lele81 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:17 am

You are welcome :D

By the way, if you want you can try one of the fan you have on the heatsink to tell us an opinion, two is better than one :wink:

About the cable, yeah, surely thermalright thought at this fan as a CPU fan only....but...if it is greaT, why not to use it anywhere else? :wink:

Frank Benign

Post by Frank Benign » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:06 pm

Lele81 wrote:You are welcome :D

By the way, if you want you can try one of the fan you have on the heatsink to tell us an opinion, two is better than one :wink:

About the cable, yeah, surely thermalright thought at this fan as a CPU fan only....but...if it is greaT, why not to use it anywhere else? :wink:
I'll try to put one of the fans in a pull configuration some time later this week. I have to open the case to bake in one of these anyway. With the mega heatsink that I have, closing the side panel is a challenge. There are dents in the panel, and it bulges somewhat when in place. Sigh... I wish the Antec P183 would be able to accomodate 140mm fans as case fans. They are much quieter.

danimal

Post by danimal » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:01 pm

Frank Benign wrote: With the mega heatsink that I have, closing the side panel is a challenge. There are dents in the panel, and it bulges somewhat when in place.
been there done that... what you have to do is to cut a couple of small oval holes in the black plastic material that's on the side panel, to accomodate the tips on the cooler pipes... one of those little battery-powered $10 die grinders from harbour freight works great, just make your careful measurements ahead of time.

the side should fit fine when you do that, although the way that your motherboard positions the cpu cooler could be different from my i7-920... i don't have the dents in the metal panel, it barely cleared.

fwiw, the tips on the silver arrow are fastened on with something like rubber cement, so they are removeable to some extent... i know that because i was doing some testing without any fans on the cooler, and it got so hot that the tips came loose :-0 they were o.k. once everything cooled off.

i doubt that you will need the indigo, unless you are doing some really serious overclocking.

Frank Benign

Post by Frank Benign » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:20 pm

danimal wrote:
Frank Benign wrote: With the mega heatsink that I have, closing the side panel is a challenge. There are dents in the panel, and it bulges somewhat when in place.
been there done that... what you have to do is to cut a couple of small oval holes in the black plastic material that's on the side panel, to accomodate the tips on the cooler pipes... one of those little battery-powered $10 die grinders from harbour freight works great, just make your careful measurements ahead of time.

the side should fit fine when you do that, although the way that your motherboard positions the cpu cooler could be different from my i7-920... i don't have the dents in the metal panel, it barely cleared.

fwiw, the tips on the silver arrow are fastened on with something like rubber cement, so they are removeable to some extent... i know that because i was doing some testing without any fans on the cooler, and it got so hot that the tips came loose :-0 they were o.k. once everything cooled off.

i doubt that you will need the indigo, unless you are doing some really serious overclocking.
I think the tips are not attached with any sort of adhesive. I can take mine off without any effort. I bought the Indigo stuff out of frustration. I had high idling CPU and VRM temps reported in the BIOS. I kept reapplying the thermal grease using a bazillion methods (line, drop, cross, 2 lines, etc..). Nothing worked. While I was waiting for the Indigo pads to arrive, I installed Win7. The temps reported by Intel Desktop utilities were much more reasonable. It was hardly breaking a sweat after hours of Prime95. I think it's an issue with the motherboard BIOS.

Lele81

Post by Lele81 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:08 pm

Frank Benign wrote:Sigh... I wish the Antec P183 would be able to accomodate 140mm fans as case fans. They are much quieter.
Well, that is not true :!:

120mm fans are quite always better than 140mm....there are so many examples about it :wink:

Frank Benign

Post by Frank Benign » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:53 pm

Lele81 wrote:
Frank Benign wrote:Sigh... I wish the Antec P183 would be able to accomodate 140mm fans as case fans. They are much quieter.
Well, that is not true :!:

120mm fans are quite always better than 140mm....there are so many examples about it :wink:
Well, bigger fans rotate slower, so any noise they make will have a lower pitch. The only reason I bought a new computer was because the tiny fan in my laptop was driving me up the wall.

Lele81

Post by Lele81 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:10 am

Frank Benign wrote: Well, bigger fans rotate slower, so any noise they make will have a lower pitch. The only reason I bought a new computer was because the tiny fan in my laptop was driving me up the wall.
That is true on the paper, but in the real world, nowadays 120mm fans are quieter than 140mm, even if they rotates a little bit faster (rpm).
There are a huge amount of reviews on internet that confirm that.
The reason is that 120mm fans are more optimized, 140mm fans exist since a little time, they are not optimized and also there is no such a big choice of 140mm fans

MajinWu

Post by MajinWu » Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:31 pm

Frank Benign wrote: With the mega heatsink that I have, closing the side panel is a challenge. There are dents in the panel, and it bulges somewhat when in place. Sigh... I wish the Antec P183 would be able to accomodate 140mm fans as case fans. They are much quieter.
I just ordered a Silver Arrow for use in my P183... could elaborate on the fit more? Is it so bad that you see protrusions from outside the panel? Also, the TY-140 fans have a standard 120mm fan hole mounting pattern you should be able to mount them standard 120 fan brackets. Why can't the P183 use them as case fans?

Frank Benign

Post by Frank Benign » Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:57 am

MajinWu wrote:
Frank Benign wrote: With the mega heatsink that I have, closing the side panel is a challenge. There are dents in the panel, and it bulges somewhat when in place. Sigh... I wish the Antec P183 would be able to accomodate 140mm fans as case fans. They are much quieter.
I just ordered a Silver Arrow for use in my P183... could elaborate on the fit more? Is it so bad that you see protrusions from outside the panel? Also, the TY-140 fans have a standard 120mm fan hole mounting pattern you should be able to mount them standard 120 fan brackets. Why can't the P183 use them as case fans?
The case is black and is sitting under my desk, so I don't have much time to fret over it. But a bulge is definitely there. If you tap it, you get a solid thud ie. the heatsink is right up against the panel. The panel does close with a lot of swearing. I have no idea how this impacts the heatsink-cpu interface. My guess/hope is that it doesn't, since the Silver Arrow mounting is very solid. The worst thing about it is that it makes me reluctant to open the case. For example, I've had Indigo Xtreme thermal pads sitting on the shelf for more than a month.

WRT the fans, having 120mm mounting holes is not enough. There is just not enough space around the case fan grills to mount anything bigger than 120mm fans.

MajinWu

Post by MajinWu » Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:56 am

Frank Benign wrote: The case is black and is sitting under my desk, so I don't have much time to fret over it. But a bulge is definitely there. If you tap it, you get a solid thud ie. the heatsink is right up against the panel. The panel does close with a lot of swearing. I have no idea how this impacts the heatsink-cpu interface. My guess/hope is that it doesn't, since the Silver Arrow mounting is very solid. The worst thing about it is that it makes me reluctant to open the case. For example, I've had Indigo Xtreme thermal pads sitting on the shelf for more than a month.
So it is the caps themselves that are hitting your panel?
I've read around (see: http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1567463) and thought the caps themselves don't hit the panel.
If it's the fans that are hitting the panel, maybe you have the fans lifted up on the clips too much?
Frank Benign wrote: WRT the fans, having 120mm mounting holes is not enough. There is just not enough space around the case fan grills to mount anything bigger than 120mm fans.
Is this the case for all the fan mounts in the case... wish I knew this before I went ahead to buy 140mm fans

Frank Benign

Post by Frank Benign » Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:01 pm

MajinWu wrote:
Frank Benign wrote: The case is black and is sitting under my desk, so I don't have much time to fret over it. But a bulge is definitely there. If you tap it, you get a solid thud ie. the heatsink is right up against the panel. The panel does close with a lot of swearing. I have no idea how this impacts the heatsink-cpu interface. My guess/hope is that it doesn't, since the Silver Arrow mounting is very solid. The worst thing about it is that it makes me reluctant to open the case. For example, I've had Indigo Xtreme thermal pads sitting on the shelf for more than a month.
So it is the caps themselves that are hitting your panel?
I've read around (see: http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1567463) and thought the caps themselves don't hit the panel.
If it's the fans that are hitting the panel, maybe you have the fans lifted up on the clips too much?
I don't think it's the fans. I specifically bought non-fancy RAM to make sure it's not in the way.
MajinWu wrote:
Frank Benign wrote: WRT the fans, having 120mm mounting holes is not enough. There is just not enough space around the case fan grills to mount anything bigger than 120mm fans.
Is this the case for all the fan mounts in the case... wish I knew this before I went ahead to buy 140mm fans
You can have up to 3 fans on the Silver Arrow. I don't remember if there would be enough room between the third fan and the exhaust fan. If there is, there may be turbulence between them. If not, you could use the third fan as the exhaust fan. This was my plan, until I learnt from this thread that the TY-140s are noisy when pulling air. I may still go ahead with it. I was even thinking of running a makeshift duct to the exhaust grill.

danimal

Post by danimal » Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:51 pm

Frank Benign wrote:The case is black and is sitting under my desk, so I don't have much time to fret over it. But a bulge is definitely there.
the silver arrow/p183 fit together fine for me, NO CASE BULGE, all i had to do was dremel out a couple of small holes on the inside of the black plastic on the side panel, NO METAL DENTED on the inside of the panel.

but i run a different cpu/mb combo than you do, it's possible that your cpu socket sits higher up than mine does.

given your 1156 motherboard, i would also question whether or not your silver arrow is hitting that black plastic rim inside the side panel.

Lele81

Post by Lele81 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:46 am

ALERT:

The fan placed on the TOP of the case, started to do a TICKING noise in the speed range from 950 to 1150 rpm!!!
At other speeds it's silent.
I really don't know if this thing started now or if it was from the beginning and I didn't notice.

The other fan (front case) is ok

flarkit

Post by flarkit » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:18 pm

Lele81 wrote:ALERT:

The fan placed on the TOP of the case, started to do a TICKING noise in the speed range from 950 to 1150 rpm!!!
At other speeds it's silent.
I really don't know if this thing started now or if it was from the beginning and I didn't notice.

The other fan (front case) is ok
I can confirm this too. I put a TY-140 in the top of my CM-692 case and after a month I've started noticing a light ticking coming from there too. It seems to go away after while, which may either be because the RPM's reach a point where the ticking stops, or because the parts have warmed up enough to stop ticking?
:?:

Akustyk

Post by Akustyk » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:25 pm

I realize I am late with my reply, but I just stumbled upon this post. I have to completely agree. The Thermalright TY-140 is a fantastic fan. I am using it with the Shaman VGA cooler; the combo is silent and efficient at cooling my NVIDIA card. I am going to order another for a CPU cooler. I'll report on my impressions once I get it installed. BTW, thanks for the review.

ces

Post by ces » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:52 pm

Lele81 wrote:the noise raises very much if you place the fan where there is something blocking the intake of the air. To be clear: if the fan push air in a radiator or in a grill....it's ok, but if the fan TAKE air FROM a radiator or a grill, the noise raise very very much, and I don't know why.
That is very interesting. Seems like it was purpose built for CPU coolers... but maybe not the best to use for a case fan sucking air in through a filter.

Akustyk

Post by Akustyk » Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:15 am

I now have two of these fans. One sits on my Shaman VGA cooler and is doing a phenomenal job cooling my video card quietly. The other, however, does not fit inside my Antec P183 case. I tried putting it on the Thermalright HR-02 cooler, but, if I do, I cannot close the side panel of my case. Disappointed. I put the trusty Scythe fan on it, instead. So now I have a spare TY-140. What should I do with it? Still not sure. Perhaps I'll sell it. I would love to put it in another rig at some point. Such an awesome fan.

Abula

Post by Abula » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:27 am

Akustyk wrote:I now have two of these fans. One sits on my Shaman VGA cooler and is doing a phenomenal job cooling my video card quietly. The other, however, does not fit inside my Antec P183 case. I tried putting it on the Thermalright HR-02 cooler, but, if I do, I cannot close the side panel of my case. Disappointed. I put the trusty Scythe fan on it, instead. So now I have a spare TY-140. What should I do with it? Still not sure. Perhaps I'll sell it. I would love to put it in another rig at some point. Such an awesome fan.
The TY-140 is uneaven, has one side that measures 140mm and the other 152mm, have you tried placing the 140mm side facing the side panel?

Akustyk

Post by Akustyk » Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:54 pm

Abula wrote: The TY-140 is uneaven, has one side that measures 140mm and the other 152mm, have you tried placing the 140mm side facing the side panel?
Thanks for the tip. Yes, it would fit that way, but I wanted to create a sort of push-pull effect with the HR-02, with the TY-140 pushing and the case rear exhaust fan pulling, as it is so close to the cooler. By the way, the HR-02 is perfect for my needs. I can easily get away with fan RPM below 500 on my 2600K, for most of my computing. The only thing I don't like about it is the fan mounting clips. A bit flimsy.