New concept for smal footprint HTPC system

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Zygmunt

New concept for smal footprint HTPC system

Post by Zygmunt » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:08 pm

Hi Guys

I like to know what do you think about this concept.

It will be offered as separate items, so you can choose components you need.

Footprint - exactly like ITX2 - 197x197mm

Please look at it here: http://perfecthometheater.com/perfectho ... forums.jpg

frenchie
Friend of SPCR

Re: New concept for smal footprint HTPC system

Post by frenchie » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:28 pm

as far as looks are concerned, why not... maybe another color ?
How about functionality, inside layout, compatible harware... ?

HFat

Post by HFat » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:42 pm

The ideal setup is to have a NAS or a server hidden somewhere where the noise won't bother anyone and to have a much smaller silent streaming device pulling multimedia from the network.

Ideally, you also do not want to select an amplifier based on its size or to make it run in such a stack.

Other than that, your concept is fine. It's going to look high-end and presumably have a fairly high-end price tag. The trouble is that it's not going to be high-end (see above) but showy and overpriced.
Apologies if you can make it cheap. In that case it would be nice.

Zygmunt

Post by Zygmunt » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:10 am

HFat wrote:The ideal setup is to have a NAS or a server hidden somewhere where the noise won't bother anyone and to have a much smaller silent streaming device pulling multimedia from the network.
I agree, but different people have different requirements.

Ideally, you also do not want to select an amplifier based on its size or to make it run in such a stack.
This is 2.1 amplifier considered for small spaces (bedroom, den) where is no place for full receiver/amp.

Other than that, your concept is fine. It's going to look high-end and presumably have a fairly high-end price tag.
No. It will be reasonably priced. It is designed to work with ITX2 as well.
The trouble is that it's not going to be high-end (see above) but showy and overpriced.
Apologies if you can make it cheap. In that case it would be nice.
I should know prices after or even before Hong Kong Electronics Fair.

chero

Post by chero » Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:30 pm

I love your concept!

Sometimes you only need the streaming unit (this houses the motherboard right?), depending on the application (i.e. work/development) or room in the house.

How will the modules/units be connected? For example, are you forced to stack them vertically, or if connected by cable can you put them side-by-side if the cable is long enough?

ntavlas

Post by ntavlas » Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:31 am

I think the exterior is tastefully done. Perhaps I would incorporate the odd into the main unit to reduce cost/complexity. While there would be an increase in height, the footprint should remain the same.
The ideal setup is to have a NAS or a server hidden somewhere where the noise won't bother anyone and to have a much smaller silent streaming device pulling multimedia from the network.
Agreed, though his modular setup does allow this short of flexibility, at least in concept. It would take an extra logic board and power supply though, increasing cost.