Quiet HTPC build advice

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

birthdaymonkey

Quiet HTPC build advice

Post by birthdaymonkey » Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:19 pm

I'm building an HTPC, and of course I want it to be as quiet as possible. I'm looking for advice or input on the parts, especially the video card.

So far I've ordered or already own these components:
Pentium G620
4GB DDR3
Asus P8Z68-M Pro (needed SPDIF and eSATA)
Vertex 2 50GB
2x WD Green 2TB
2x Nexus 120mm
1x Noctua S12B-ULN 120mm
PCI Slot 3-fan controller

I've currently got a Lian-LI PC-V354, which will be replaced on my birthday (Feb) with a Silverstone GD05. I'm going to try the stock Intel HSF (maybe undervolt the CPU), and see how loud it is. If it's too noisy, I'll replace it with a Noctua C12 or C14 and run passive.

The part I'm agonizing over is the video card. I like madVR for rendering my videos, so I need adequate power. I'd prefer a fanless AMD GPU (had playback issues in my current HTPC/gamer machine with an NV card) but if there's a really quiet 6570 or 6670 with a fan, that would also be good. I've been looking at the HIS iSilence 6670 (http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as ... 6814161392), but am concerned that it might be too tall to fit in Lian Li or the Silverstone or that the heatsink on the back might interfere with a big Noctua top-down heatsink on a mATX board.

If anyone would care to weigh in on my dilemma, I'd be grateful.

Thanks!

EDIT: Forgot to mention I've also already got a Seasonic X-560 PSU.

Abula

Re: Quiet HTPC build advice

Post by Abula » Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:57 pm

Im still new to HTPC world, and i build mine for Media Player Classic - Home Cinema + MadVR, LAV Splitters, LAV Audio decoder & LAV CUVID. I went for nvidia mostly for CUVID decoder that uses CUDA, and the GTS450 is more than enough for it, but the bare minimum they asked was for GT440 with gddr5, and the one you are chosing seems to be ddr3, so im not compelty sure it would be enough, but my suggestion is to post on AVSForum Home theater Computer Section as they should know a lot more than me, specially with AMD/ATI GPUs and madVR. In case they suggest a GPU with GDDR5, there is a fanless in case you are interested, SAPPHIRE Ultimate 100326UL Radeon HD 6670 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card, but it might not clear the GD05 height :(

birthdaymonkey

Post by birthdaymonkey » Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:36 pm

Thanks for the advice, Abula. I will make a post over on AVS forums. I was looking at that Sapphire "ultimate" 6670 card, but unfortunately it is too tall to fit in the GD05. :(, as you say.

Abula

Post by Abula » Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:00 pm

birthdaymonkey wrote:Thanks for the advice, Abula. I will make a post over on AVS forums. I was looking at that Sapphire "ultimate" 6670 card, but unfortunately it is too tall to fit in the GD05. :(, as you say.
NP, this is exactly why i didnt go for HTPC case, i wanted to fit a big end tower cooler and the passive cooler of the GTS450 is taller than what most HTPC style cases like the GD05 can fit. There is one that probably can in case decide to go for a different case, Antec Fusion Remote Max, either way hope you find what you looking for in AVS.