Why always honeycomb grills?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

supernewbie666

Why always honeycomb grills?

Post by supernewbie666 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:02 am

Why do even the most expensive and highest quality silent cases have to use honeycomb fan grills? Why don't they use wire grills?

Its fairly annoying to remove those damn honeycombs! Same with their stock fans that always need to be replaced (except maybe for casual users).

I am so angry!

flemeister

Re: Why always honeycomb grills?

Post by flemeister » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:20 am

Because they're cheaper, and the majority of buyers are perfectly happy with stamped fan grills and cheapo stock fans.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:42 am

They have the greatest open area vs the metal area of any stamping. Wire grills are marginally better, but they cost a lot more, I would imagine.

flemeister

Post by flemeister » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:24 am

Ooh, I just remembered reading this nice article recently: Effects of Grill Patterns on Fan Performance/Noise

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:26 am

supernewbie666 wrote:Same with their stock fans that always need to be replaced (except maybe for casual users)
Sharkoon, who seem to only market in Europe, have introduced cases with no stock fans at all. They are tagged, not surprisingly, as an 'Economy' variant such as this one http://www.sharkoon.com/?q=en/content/t9-economy. This particular case is relatively cheap, around €40 or about the same price as an Antec VSK-2000.

ntavlas

Post by ntavlas » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:11 am

Another reason is EMI shielding. Gaps/holes can only be up to a certain size for the grille to block EMI.
I don`t know how important this is in practice (many people remove the grills or run computers in wooden cases with no problems) but I think there are regulations regarding EMI which leave manufacturers with little choice.

Wire grilles were designed to prevent injury to the user from the fan`s blades.

edit: Some atx power supplies use wire grilles. Perhaps PSUs are considered internal devices and thus are subject to more lax regulations?