2002-2012: A Decade of SPCR (EDIT: now 12 years)

Want to talk about one of the articles in SPCR? Here's the forum for you.
MikeC
Site Admin

2002-2012: A Decade of SPCR (EDIT: now 12 years)

Post by MikeC » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:47 pm

CA_Steve

Re: 2002-2012: A Decade of SPCR

Post by CA_Steve » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:40 pm

Happy Tenth Anniversary!

I stumbled across SPCR in 2005 for the usual reason - my PC sounded like I was on an airport tarmac. I've learned a lot along the way. Thanks for all the great articles and for the awesome forum community! I look forward to the next 10.

AuraAllan
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by AuraAllan » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:21 pm

Happy Tenth Anniversary!

Thank you for all the informative articles :D

KadazanPL

Post by KadazanPL » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:35 pm

Long live SPCR!

Thank you for those ten years! We wish you a hundred more!

roadie

Post by roadie » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:17 pm

Amazing stuff. This site has really been at the forefront in one of the most important factors in the usability of PCs. Well done!

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:54 am

Grab your pitchforks! Get th...

oh wait.

Happy birthday :mrgreen:

martinreed22

Post by martinreed22 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:02 am

Congratulations! SPCR has been a daily visit for longer than I can remember. My thanks to Mike and all who have contributed, quite literally, to a quiet life.

martin

mkk

Post by mkk » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:20 am

SPCR has helped me learn so much in a field previously dominated by witchdoctor mumbojumbo. Okay, there's still a lot of that out there but I really think that SPCR has helped modern science spread out into the dark. ;)

ChrisH
Friend of SPCR

Post by ChrisH » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:23 am

My time and interests have wandered elsewhere over the last few years, but I still come back to keep up with the latest reviews on SPCR. I've learned a lot from this site. Thanks for all the hard work.

ryboto
Friend of SPCR

Post by ryboto » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:00 am

SPCR was the first PC hobby forum I joined! keep up the great work guys!

dukeymo

Post by dukeymo » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:18 am

I've only been browsing the forums for about a year, and have been registered for only a few months, but the amount of information about power efficiency and noise that I have gained in that time has been invaluable for me; I'm in the (never-ending for me...) planning stages of building a new PC, and I can't really over-emphasize the help I've gotten from this site in terms of putting together a small (microATX or miniITX) PC that I never really thought possible before. My PC life has been forever changed by this site, and I'm so glad I stumbled upon this site one day.

Here's to another decade and beyond of SPCR! :mrgreen:

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:37 am

Congratulations Mike! Now I feel older than I used to...

b3nbranch
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by b3nbranch » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:41 am

Hurrah for SPCR! I'm looking forward to the next decade.

cloneman

Post by cloneman » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:10 pm

Great writeup :^) The kind of narrative and viewpoint that keeps me coming back to SPCR. Sums up everything pretty nicely, can't say I disagree with anything mentioned above.

On a personal note, I'm proud of having more or less raised the issue of laptop coil whine to SPCR :)

webs0r

Post by webs0r » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:28 pm

Congrats Mike :)
Wishing you another 10 fantastic years!

Devonavar
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Devonavar » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:37 pm

Congratulations SPCR! 10 years is significant — a recognition of a positive contribution to the internet.

I was proud to be a regular part of SPCR for about three years. I wrote over 100 articles, and wrote the bulk of the content on the site while I was active. SPCR wasn't just a job for me, though it was my first employment after university, and my first sense that I wasn't going to be stuck working retail for life. SPCR was like a family for three years, and it taught me that I had something to offer to the world and all of you.

I joined SPCR at a time when the need for silent computing had already started to penetrate the consciousness of the enthusiast community, and the big manufacturers were starting to respond. I built on Mike's expertise, having been a daily reader for over a year, but I didn't experiment like he did; most of that work was already done. What I did was begin to apply the expertise that Mike had developed to a wider range of products, and for a while we were testing a significant portion of every power supply, heatsink, and hard drive on the market.

Of all the articles I wrote, two or three stand out in particular. My favourite article is one that recently saw an update: Power Distribution within Six PCs. I did this on a whim, since at the time we knew that PCs didn't use as much power as advertised, but we had no idea what a realistic load distribution was. This is one of the few contributions I made where I brought something new and original to the table, and the response was immediate: It garnered over 100,000 views in less than a week. NOBODY else had thought to do this, and it was linked to widely across many of the bigger name sites.

Other memorable articles include the massive three-part P180 review — we spent the better part of two months on it making sure that is was both complete and as fair as we could make it. With Mike's involvement in its design, we worked hard to make sure that it was rigorously tested. The article is still #5 on the top viewed articles of all time, with close to 1 and a quarter MILLION views. It staggers me to think that my work has been read so widely.

I also have fond memories of the various fan round-ups that I did. #2 has over 1.5 million views. This task was years in the making, and we spent months working on a methodology that would test fairly. Even now, I don't think we ever figured out how to test for airflow properly, and we eventually dropped it from our testing. More importantly, we learned that airflow isn't really that relevant. What you need is enough airflow. Enough meaning this: Enough to carry the amount of heat coming off the heatsink. Less than this amount, and the system would cook. More than this, and you basically increase noise with minimal benefit to cooling. There's a specific amount of airflow that any given heatsink needs to operate efficiently, and trying to push more airflow than is optimal simply doesn't benefit cooling that much.

The last article that sticks out to me is memorable more in hindsight than for the article itself: Our original review of the Scythe Ninja. The Ninja was a stunningly good heatsink — at least our sample was — and it remained our benchmark heatsink for years. In fact, our praise of it probably helped launch Scythe to its dominent position today. But, in subsequent tests (of which there were many, since we used it to calibrate every time we switched test beds), we always had difficulty reproducing consistent results. One mounting would duplicate the original results, and the next would be 5° hotter. The problems got worse once we had multiple samples floating around the lab. In the end, we concluded that our sample was probably exceptional, and the average case was not quite as good as ours was. But, it took us over three years to find this out, by which time even its exceptional results had been surpassed by bigger, beefier competitors. In the end, it was a lesson about precision of results — the error tolerance for heatsink testing can't be better than two or three degrees either way, with variance coming from different samples, different mountings, and different ambient conditions. Ergonomics, fin-spacing, and weight all matter more than raw test results, but none of these can be quantified or ranked in quite the same way that thermal results can, so thermal results continue to get top billing even though the top performing heatsinks can all be considered equal within the margin of error.

I'd like to finish with a LOUD shout out to Mike Chin, who truly is the heart and soul behind SPCR. He is the man who didn't just complain. He fixed the problem and then he wrote about it: He put the issue on the map prominently enough that an entire industry changed to address it. Most of that had already taken place by the time I came along, but his knowledge and his fascination about acoustics rubbed off on me. He has been a mentor to me in more ways than one.

I have Mike to thank for my subsequent career in location audio in the film industry — listening to computer noise for three years taught me how to listen critically and how to solve acoustic problems in a scientific manner. Working with him was also my first exposure to business, and I probably would not be running my own business (Storybubble Pictures) if he had not always been there working in the background, showing me that there is FAR more to maintaining a website than just writing articles. From day one, participating in the SPCR forums was part of my job, and it was a pleasure learning how a community functions and why people wanted to read what I wrote in the process. Lastly, I am proud to call Mike a friend — and that friendship is truly the legacy of my time at SPCR.

Congratulations Mike. 10 years is an accomplishment. Good luck, wherever the next 10 takes you.

Devon Cooke

whispercat

Post by whispercat » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:03 pm

Happy 10th Anniversary !!

Congratulations to SPCR !

Keeping the dB/@1m down low since 2002 !

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:53 am

My thanks to all the well-wishers, some of whom have been actively involved in SPCR for nearly its entire existence: I cannot overemphasize the importance of the SPCR forum community. And what a nice post, Devon, though the past couple paragraphs make me wonder whether time has made rose-tinted earplugs... :lol:

Jay_S
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Jay_S » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:11 am

I found SPCR when trying to quiet a Willamette P4 CPU, and bought a Zalman CNPS6500B-AlCu based on the favorable review in SPCR's original P4 cooler roundup. As others have written, I owe much of what I know to SPCR and the SPCR community.

Thank you and happy anniversary!

mg1394

Post by mg1394 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:26 am

And what a great job SPCR has done for all of those 10 years. Thank you, Mike (and others).
Have some of your favorite beverage to celebrate.

And here's to all of us that seem to have a "joined" date of August 11, 2002 :D :D

-marsha

Reachable
Friend of SPCR

Post by Reachable » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:53 pm

A quiet computer was little more than a pipe dream (and an almost desperate one) until this site came along. I would never have imagined that I would build a computer (and it takes more knowledge than some here might remember to learn about the science, history, lingo, components, acronyms, supply sources -- to go from zero to minimal proficiency in a short time takes more study than a challenging college course.) But now I have a new hobby and the confidence to repair my own and others' computers. So that is a blessing of SPCR for me, along with the treasure trove of information. Thank you!

ame

Post by ame » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:43 am

Congradulations to SPCR ....10th! 8)

Thanks Mike, and all other contributors for changing the world, one db at a time.

Keep up the good work

fwki
Patron of SPCR

Post by fwki » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:04 am

Still my favorite site and forum.....took me from overclocker to undervolter and launched me into computer-based DIY Audio. Thank you Mike.

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:25 pm

Happy and glorious 10th for SPCR, the only website I have contributed to a great deal, and I am happy and willing to continue to help my fellow silent computing enthusiasts by passing on my experience to others as Mike and SPCR has done for me for many years.

I don't need to spell out all of the help that SPCR has done to my silent (quiet) computing experience, not least the other forum members - the SPCR community is as Mike always says "invaluable". FYI I found SPCR whilst googling for a review of the brand new "Antec Sonata" (original) case (that is sat next to me right now in all of its SPCR modified form). I was hooked on silent computing - the rest is history, in my case over 7-years of history.

Andy

Wibla
Friend of SPCR

Post by Wibla » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:56 pm

Happy tenth anniversary for SPCR! one of the best enthusiast sites on the internet, and probably one of the most influencal ones with regards to the changes to quiet/silent computing since its inception.

cmthomson

Post by cmthomson » Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:38 pm

Happy 10th! :D

I'm pleased to have been able to give back by writing the "superquiet superclocked" DIY articles based on what I learned here, and turned into a hobby. (500,000+ reads!)

I'm still running that system (upgraded a bunch of times), and it's still the quietest appliance in my house.

frenchie
Friend of SPCR

Post by frenchie » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:38 am

Happy birthday SPCR !!!
Thanks to you, I now listen to my quiet computer as a hobby :)

continuum
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by continuum » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:44 pm

Congrats on ten years!!

Tephras

Post by Tephras » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:48 pm

Congratulations to SPCR, the avant-garde of silent computing!

colin2

Post by colin2 » Mon May 28, 2012 11:30 pm

I'm happening on this late, but hopefully still in time for a note of appreciation. Part of what I have valued about this site is its commitment to data and thoughtful testing. How does a PC really function? Much care and hard work went into that, probably a lot that is not visible to us. Link that to the creativity of hobbyists and the participation of a few businesses, and you got a nexus of innovation.

The site provided a minimalist discipline of PC-building that I found stimulating, and lots of help in actual construction. When I first thought about rolling my own, about eight years ago, it was the only site I found that was not dominated by kids building fast gaming machines (not that there's anything wrong with that).

There's a quiet, careful, persistent quality to this site that's very Canadian!