Side Case fan on Accelero S1/S2?

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

chico1st

Side Case fan on Accelero S1/S2?

Post by chico1st » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:34 am

Hi there I was wondering if anyone had any luck with using side case fans blowing over some of the large Accellero S1/S2?

I had previously tried to use the front middle fan on my P182 ( by the GPU) to blow air over my passive accellero with my 5770 but it didn't work out. I attempted using baffles etc as well but no luck.

I was thinking that maybe a large side fan would be a good solution. Has anyone attempted this?

m0002a

Re: Side Case fan on Accelero S1/S2?

Post by m0002a » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:08 am

I attached a 120mm fan directly to a Accelero S1 Plus using cable ties. I first placed some small pieces of felt type material that is sticky on one side to fan edges to cushion the fan against the heatsink fins. At that close proximity, I can run a fan at 750 rpm and still get very good good airflow.

chico1st

Post by chico1st » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:20 am

i was hoping to gain 2 things from this:
more space for pci etc cards (esp if i go crossfire)
fewer fans

I know you can put fans on the S1 but then it turns into a 3 slot card.

Right now I have the same and a fan bringing air into that GPU space, if I go crossfire then that would be 3 fans in the GPU area, but is a side fan would suffice then I can just use 1 fan for that whole area.

flemeister

Post by flemeister » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:22 pm

chico1st wrote:I had previously tried to use the front middle fan on my P182 ( by the GPU) to blow air over my passive accellero with my 5770 but it didn't work out. I attempted using baffles etc as well but no luck.
I've had exactly the same setup as this, hell even two 5770's in Crossfire, both with Accelero S1's. I had no trouble keeping both GPU temps ~90c or lower with Furmark running, with the 120mm fan set to ~400RPM.

http://i52.tinypic.com/34rbzhg.jpg
Last edited by flemeister on Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flemeister

Post by flemeister » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:24 pm

edit: double post

chico1st

Post by chico1st » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:08 pm

i hadn't thought of bringing the fan closer, thats a good idea.

did you have to glue/tape that foam down that holds the fan?

do you use your top fan? I currently have my CPU air ported out with a push-pull so i need the top exhaust but I was curious.

flemeister

Post by flemeister » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:21 pm

chico1st wrote:did you have to glue/tape that foam down that holds the fan?
Nope, friction alone kept it in place. Good enough for wheeling the rig around the house, but you would need to glue/tape it down for shipping etc. :)

I tend to change video cards quite often, and the GTX460's in there now are short enough to let me use the top hard drive cage as an air duct. Looks a fair bit neater now (see photos below). :)
chico1st wrote:do you use your top fan? I currently have my CPU air ported out with a push-pull so i need the top exhaust but I was curious.
In that photo, no, but I do use a top exhaust fan now:

http://i45.tinypic.com/ef4wk.jpg
http://i50.tinypic.com/qs4o0h.jpg

edh

Post by edh » Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:11 am

chico1st wrote:I had previously tried to use the front middle fan on my P182 ( by the GPU) to blow air over my passive accellero with my 5770 but it didn't work out.
I'm surprised this is the case. I've had some great success in doing this in a Silverstone SG03 with an S1 and previously an S2. What was the distance between the middle fan and the leading edge of the cooler? In mine it's perhaps about 30mm but there is also going to be much higher pressure involved due to the small case size and pure positive pressure setup being run.

chico1st

Post by chico1st » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:11 am

I was using the case mount at the front of the P182. So the distance was pretty big... many inches or a foot.
But i ducted the VGA area (to seperate it from the CPU area) so i thought there would be enough air flow which there wasn't.

I am currently trying bringing the fan closer as well as using a higher pressure fan (Flow 2 vs Slipstream M)

fliemister: do you think you need to have that duct at the front for that fan? i dont really see what it would do, unless you are using it as an air straightener from the 1st fan (are both of those fans on?)
How did you attach your fan to your hard-drive cage?

flemeister

Post by flemeister » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:11 pm

chico1st wrote:I was using the case mount at the front of the P182. So the distance was pretty big... many inches or a foot.
But i ducted the VGA area (to seperate it from the CPU area) so i thought there would be enough air flow which there wasn't.

I am currently trying bringing the fan closer as well as using a higher pressure fan (Flow 2 vs Slipstream M)
Not sure what the problem is here, considering that I was able to cool two passive 5770's with temps at or below 90c in Furmark. Hmm, have you testing without the front swing open doors as well as the dust filters? Tried this mod below?

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=44067&start=30
chico1st wrote:fliemister: do you think you need to have that duct at the front for that fan? i dont really see what it would do, unless you are using it as an air straightener from the 1st fan (are both of those fans on?)
No, the duct isn't necessary. I've mainly got it there for aesthetics.

And yes, both fans are on. Could be just me, but I feel as if combining both fans results in more airflow there. There's quite a torrent of air considering the slow RPMs (~550RPM) and noise level (extremely quiet). Feels like more airflow than a single fan (in either position).
chico1st wrote:How did you attach your fan to your hard-drive cage?
I just used some plastic coated wire. I got this case 2nd hand a few years ago, and it didn't come with the stock wire clips. If you're the original owner of your P182, then you may still have the wire clips around somewhere. :)

edh

Post by edh » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:32 am

Trying to feed an S1 from the front will be better than from the side when you consider the fin arrangement. Have you also tried treating the airflow at the outlet end by blocking up all openings in the area with the exception of the expansion slot bracket behind the S1? This will boost pressure and make the only outflow via (or near enough) the S1.