Mini-itx case project

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

chero

Mini-itx case project

Post by chero » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:43 pm

Attached is a first draft of a minimalist case I've been wanting to do for a long time.

It's designed based on my own requirements, so it may be a little simple for most people. The top cutout is for a 140 mm fan, which could be mounted either way (and will probably be changing to a circle cutout). There's no power button yet, but I was thinking of putting it on the back. I plan on using a PicoPSU, and also allowing for use of low-profile expansion cards.

Any comments or suggestions? Does anyone else have similar requirements to me?

James
Last edited by chero on Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ces

Re: Mini-itx case project

Post by ces » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:57 pm

See

Small Lian Li ITX Motherboard
http://www.lian-li.com/v2/en/product/pr ... s_index=64

Here is a better view of the form factor - these are very small cases that you can easily hold in your hand.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811112292

And

New Noctua short-short downdraft heat sink
http://www.silentpcreview.com/files/ima ... octua1.jpg
http://www.silentpcreview.com/Fans_Noct ... putex_2012

Or even better, the Noctua NH-L12 with just an underfan. With the right motherboard apparently you can fit in a 120mm underfan. Or in the alternative, you can add on the top a 140mm fan that mounts as a 120mm fan (such the Scythe 140 and SPCR's 140mm Noctua reference fan)

chero

Post by chero » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:34 pm

Thanks for the links, both very nice products. Don't know if mine will look quite that nice ;) I'm planning on starting with 0.8 mm galvanized steel and paint it. Aluminum would be nice... hmmm...

Do you think using something like that low profile Noctua would make a case fan unnecessary? That's one of the things I was conflicted about. I'm hoping to have a prototype soon so I can start testing it.

Also, I believe I have about 62 mm from the top of the motherboard to the bottom of the case fan (including thickness of fan guard), which should allow for the stock cooler.

ces

Post by ces » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:27 pm

chero wrote:Do you think using something like that low profile Noctua would make a case fan unnecessary?
That is the whole idea.

In fact I think you should start with the motherboard and a top down cooler... then build the case around that.

I think there is something to be said for using a top down cooler with two fans... and no case fan. That means even if one fan fails you still have cooling.

chero

Post by chero » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:44 am

ces wrote: That is the whole idea.

In fact I think you should start with the motherboard and a top down cooler... then build the case around that.

I think there is something to be said for using a top down cooler with two fans... and no case fan. That means even if one fan fails you still have cooling.
That's similar to what I had in mind. My thoughts were to allow for a large top down cooler (i.e. Big Shuriken) *if* the case fan was removed. The large hole in the top kinda ruins that though. I may have to rethink that, or make two different styles! :)

I like the idea of using two fans with a top down cooler.

chero

Post by chero » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:04 am

Here's some pics of a *rough* prototype. I'm still thinking about doing a variation without a case fan. With the case fan blowing into the case, the front vent acts as my own personal fan! :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by chero on Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.

chero

Post by chero » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:55 pm

Have to increase the length - the PicoPSU cables interfere with the HDD. Wish they went up instead of outwards.