A list of positive pressure cases?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

CoolColJ

A list of positive pressure cases?

Post by CoolColJ » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:37 am

I have a Silverstone FT02 case, which is postive pressure, and I love the fact no rubbish gets sucked into cracks of the case.
So I'm a positive pressure convert for life now :D

Just wondering what other good positive pressure cases are there? Or normal cases that can be made to run well as positive pressure?

kuzzia
Friend of SPCR

Re: A list of positive pressure cases?

Post by kuzzia » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:37 am

The answer for your question is that any case that can have more intake fans than exhaust fans are positive pressure cases.

Most SilverStone cases has a positive pressure airflow. The Antec Solo II is also what I would consider a PP case since it can hold two 120 mm front fans (intake) and only one 120 mm rear fan (exhaust). But as I've said. I consider any case with a sufficient amount of possibilities for front and bottom fans as a PP case. It all depends on how you position the fans. :D

CoolColJ

Post by CoolColJ » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:42 am

Ok let me clarify :wink:

What cases have a similar vertical venting deisgn of the FT02?

I find this very effecient when combined with positive pressure.
Infact I dont really need to turn on the top fan, which creates the most noise - even the Scythe Sliptreams at 5-6v makes too much noise - although I will try a Noctua case fan that can run at 18/10/6.5 db

Some things annoy me on the FT02, so if there is something better, quieter and more modern, I'm all ears :mrgreen:

edit - I think maybe some of those Corsair cases could be made to work like this with all that opening at the top...

Olaf van der Spek

Post by Olaf van der Spek » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:32 am

What annoys you?

CoolColJ

Post by CoolColJ » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:43 pm

Olaf van der Spek wrote:What annoys you?
The deep case design. Harder to place in the room, and a lot of cables from my Seasonic M12D power supply are bit of the short side to reach the front mounted drives.
If they had tilted the design to be more vertical it would have worked better IMO - especially since the connections will be at the back and not have to fit under the top cage cover

The terrible 3.5inch HD rack - flimsy, doesn't absorb the HD vibrations - ie case resonates and drones.
And doesn't lock the drives in securely

My old Antec Sonata has a much more effective and solid HD mounting system - just a rubber pad under each drive on the cradle you screw the HD onto, then slide and lock that into the cage - simple, yet I never heard any drones from the same HDs in it

Everything else is superior to the Sonata though :)
But I've been able to get the Sonata to be so quiet that it's hard to tell if it's on. Not so on the FT02 just yet
But I think once get rid of the HD drones with suspension mounting, I will be there, which will be easy as you can pull all the HD cradles out and suspend each drive vertically sideways in the cage, in their original positions, using the holes above and below them to run the elastic cords.

Or replace all my HD with SSD :)
My OS is already on a 240GB Intel 520 SSD. I have a 512GB Crucial M4 coming to replace my Audio and music making partition (need the fast read and random access times for the gigabyte large sample libraries) , since they have dropped dramatically in price. Under $400 now!
All of my main partitions on my HDs are 500GB each - so the plan is to eventually replace each of them with a discrete 512GB SSD when the prices drop and when specials come up :wink:
Plus it's more secure this way, if one goes down, it doesn't take out the rest...

And swap out the 570GTX fan/heatsink - although it's pretty quiet now with a modded firmware to run the fan at much slower speeds.
My Sonata system had a Radeon 9800 with a Zalman heatpipe that is just about passive, with a tiny 50mm fan that moves enough air to make it work, but is inaudible.

CoolColJ

Post by CoolColJ » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:29 pm

Also how the 5.25inch drive bay things overhang that side of the motherboard. Just an inch more space would have been nice

Thumb screws for the PCI slot covers would be nice too