How hot will you go...

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Cod

How hot will you go...

Post by Cod » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:22 pm

How hot do y'all let your GPU get before letting the GPU's fan(s) be heard?

Personally, I keep my GPU's fan speeds below 45% (inaudible) until the GPU reaches 70C. At that point, the GPU fans bump up to 50% and can be slightly heard. From there, I bump up the % by 10 for every 5 degrees above 70C (so 60% for 75C, etc.).

Keep in mind, I'm not talking case fan speeds...just GPU fan(s).

Cistron

Re: How hot will you go...

Post by Cistron » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:09 am

Cod wrote:How hot do y'all let your GPU get before letting the GPU's fan(s) be heard?

Personally, I keep my GPU's fan speeds below 45% (inaudible) until the GPU reaches 70C. At that point, the GPU fans bump up to 50% and can be slightly heard. From there, I bump up the % by 10 for every 5 degrees above 70C (so 60% for 75C, etc.).

Keep in mind, I'm not talking case fan speeds...just GPU fan(s).
I think that would strongly depend on the cooling system and your card.

edh

Post by edh » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:09 am

0rpm all of the way. :D

Clearly your fan curve isn't working most effectively if you have to bump up by another 10% for each 5C. If the extra 10% was sufficient, it wouldn't get another 5C hotter and have another increase in fan speed.

Spoon Boy

Post by Spoon Boy » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:55 am

Forgive me if i sound dumb :lol: but isn't that the idea of a curve ?
That it goes up as it gets hotter until the fan is spinning just fast enough to keep the card from down clocking or crashing ?

kuzzia
Friend of SPCR

Post by kuzzia » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:07 am

As long as it's under 90 C then as silent as possible.

Cod

Post by Cod » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:34 pm

kuzzia wrote:As long as it's under 90 C then as silent as possible.
That's the kind of answer I was looking for. I get nervous when my GPU gets above 70C, which is why I let the fans be heard at that point.

edh

Post by edh » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:40 am

Spoon Boy wrote:Forgive me if i sound dumb :lol: but isn't that the idea of a curve ?
Technically this isn't a curve, it's a straight line. :wink:
kuzzia wrote:As long as it's under 90 C then as silent as possible.
This depends on card. I've had some which only give artefacts at 115C and others that give artefacts as low as 80C. I think some more modern cards are more fragile and will be damaged with no previous artefacts or underclocking to protect them.

Spoon Boy

Post by Spoon Boy » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:15 am

edh wrote:Technically this isn't a curve, it's a straight line. :wink:
Well technically all curves are straight lines if you get close enough :lol:
edh wrote:This depends on card. I've had some which only give artefacts at 115C and others that give artefacts as low as 80C. I think some more modern cards are more fragile and will be damaged with no previous artefacts or underclocking to protect them.
All cards onward from Nvidia 500 series and AMD 6000 series now have built in power regulator circuitry as well as the ability to down clock when things get to hot.

edh

Post by edh » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:47 am

Spoon Boy wrote:Well technically all curves are straight lines if you get close enough :lol:
They might be apprantly staight lines but they are in reality curves. A curve can never be a straight line.
Spoon Boy wrote:All cards onward from Nvidia 500 series and AMD 6000 series now have built in power regulator circuitry as well as the ability to down clock when things get to hot.
A little longer than that actually, it's been in Geforce cards since Geforce FX although some lower end cards without temperature monitoring exclude this as do some cards with certain BIOS settings.

Spoon Boy

Post by Spoon Boy » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:07 am

edh wrote:They might be apprantly staight lines but they are in reality curves. A curve can never be a straight line.
My head just popped like a balloon when i read that :P
edh wrote:A little longer than that actually, it's been in Geforce cards since Geforce FX although some lower end cards without temperature monitoring exclude this as do some cards with certain BIOS settings.
Load of card before the Nvidia 500 series and AMD 6000 could underclock, but AFAIK its only from the Nvidia 500 series and AMD 6000 that included the power regulatory circuitry.