Gigabyte GA-H77TN Thin Mini-ITX Motherboard

Want to talk about one of the articles in SPCR? Here's the forum for you.
Lawrence Lee
SPCR Reviewer

Gigabyte GA-H77TN Thin Mini-ITX Motherboard

Post by Lawrence Lee » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:28 pm

Mats

Re: Gigabyte GA-H77TN Thin Mini-ITX Motherboard

Post by Mats » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:05 am

AFAIK, that 7.4 mm power plug is common in HP's professional laptops.

drawz

Post by drawz » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:35 am

A few thoughts:
  • * the power connector is part of the thin-ITX spec from Intel. See here:
    http://download.intel.com/support/mothe ... atalog.pdf
    * They also provide a list of compatible power bricks. See page 7: http://download.intel.com/support/mothe ... atalog.pdf
    * The CPU location is essentially fixed so that cooling solutions that hang off the side can also be standardized. This is essential given the cramped space in an AIO PC. This also restricts the height of components on that side of the board and prevents a PCIe x16 slot from being used.
    * Cramped space with essentially no airflow through the case is also probably the reason they beefed up the PCH heatsink.
    * SATA power connections are necessary on the mobo since the PSU is external.
    * You mention "just" two video outs. One of the outputs is routed to an internal LVDS connection for the monitor part of the AIO. I don't think current Intel processors support more than 3 outputs.
    * The BIOS is likely kept simple because of the target audience of most AIOs

atmartens

Post by atmartens » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:10 am

What sorts of cases take this form factor? Are there are lot out there?

flemeister

Post by flemeister » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:28 pm

atmartens wrote:What sorts of cases take this form factor? Are there are lot out there?
Introducing my new project based on the thin mini-ITX form factor. Intel developed this thin version to support the AIO (All In One) PC market. It was in response to the popularity of the iMac which bundles the monitor and system into a single thin chassis.

I have other ideas for it.

drawz

Post by drawz » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:49 pm

list of cases in this intel document: http://download.intel.com/support/mothe ... atalog.pdf

Not sure if it's complete

slipperyskip

Post by slipperyskip » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:50 pm

flemeister wrote:Flightline, by slipperyskip
Introducing my new project based on the thin mini-ITX form factor. Intel developed this thin version to support the AIO (All In One) PC market. It was in response to the popularity of the iMac which bundles the monitor and system into a single thin chassis.

I have other ideas for it.
Thanks for the mention. Here's a photo for the link impaired...

The body is 40mm wide.

NeedRez

Post by NeedRez » Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:12 pm

My H77TN didn't read the mSATA, might be common problem. Ditched that mobo because Asus has a new Haswell motherboard similar form-factor, Q87T.

Registered for this forum just for this: I have found barrel connectors that work. They are 3-conductor, there is an inner and outer barrel connection and center pin (for communication?). I don't use the center pin but apply 19V to the inner(+) and outer (-) barrel and it works. I've run my board down to 15.75V before it quits, maybe 16.25V to get it running again, haven't been brave enough to find maximum voltage. Our company bought 1000 of these through China (online), 2 bags of 500, the minimum order. They are meant to be overmolded after soldering your own wires so look ugly without. Anyone want a bag of 500? The part number on the bag is 7406-27.2 if that helps anyone.