92mm fans

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

takeawaydave

92mm fans

Post by takeawaydave » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:16 pm

Looking to try and get some confirmation on a couple of fans I plan to get soon.

I have a dual 1366 Xeon setup and the Supermicro heatsink came with some pretty noisy fans which I hope to replace so I was thinking of

Noctua NF-B9 Fan (92mm)

These need to be this format to fit in the heatsink plastic fan holders.

I couldn't find any thing else that was sleeve bearing and quiet referenced... Any one able to help out with a suggestion?

SebRad
Patron of SPCR

Re: 92mm fans

Post by SebRad » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:13 am

Hi, I've used NF-R8 fans and while they were fine there wasn't anything 'special' about them from my point of view. I don't know how the NF-B9 is. I have used Arctic Cooling F9 fans in 3pin and 4pin PWM formats and really like them. They seem very smooth and quiet, they have some sort of 'fluid bearings', long warranty and low price.

Regards, Seb

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:17 am

SebRad wrote:Hi, I've used NF-R8 fans and while they were fine there wasn't anything 'special' about them from my point of view. I don't know how the NF-B9 is. I have used Arctic Cooling F9 fans in 3pin and 4pin PWM formats and really like them. They seem very smooth and quiet, they have some sort of 'fluid bearings', long warranty and low price.

+1 (I own the R8, the B9 and F9): IMO the B9 aren't the best fan around, while I would also recommend Nexus 92mm (NOT the transparent PWM ones).

But priorly check which type of fan header your mobo has, as maybe you'd better to pick a fan controller.

axee

Post by axee » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:24 am

I had great experience with Noiseblocker Blacksilent 92mm fans few years ago.

http://www.blacknoise.com/de/products/i ... ntFan_92mm

jfeldt

Post by jfeldt » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:22 pm

I just put together a dual 1366 system last week and got the Noctua 4U heatsink fan combos. I am only using one 92mm fan per heatsink and I'm happy with how quiet they are even at full voltage.

I've run the white bladed Nexus 92mm fans as case fans in the past and have been happy with those as well.