p4p800 standby fan noise!!!

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

soundOFsilence

p4p800 standby fan noise!!!

Post by soundOFsilence » Fri Dec 05, 2003 11:05 am

I see that many people here have the p4p800Deluxe,

When my p4p800 deluxe goes into standby, the OS is put on standby fine, but all the fans including the PSU keep running. What can I do such that when the PC is on standby, it is silent? Even the CPU fan keeps running, which runs off of the mobo.

Do you all get the same thing? What can I do to cure this issue?

Thanks!!

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Fri Dec 05, 2003 11:24 am

What? In standby mode the fans are suppose to keep running arent they. I mean the computer is still on right, and therefore still producing heat. Maybe I misunderstood the question.

soundOFsilence

Post by soundOFsilence » Fri Dec 05, 2003 11:50 am

My previous 2 PCs would turn all fans off when in Standby. But they were both HPs, not custom built like this one, maybe that was the reason. 2 laptops I worked with would turn everything off as well, but, those are laptops...

I guess there is no way around this? This is an XP Media Center PC, and I want it to stay in standby and be silent, and only wake up to do TV recordings, then go back to sleep. So, it will have to constantly hum in the background? I will need to make it real silent if that is the case :) One of my previous PCs was an HP m300y, 2.4c, 5200, Barracuda 7200.7, although it was noisied than this when operating, it would be completely silent when in standby.

I may need to experiment with hibernation, but I am not sure if XPMCE can wake up computer from hibernation to do a recording.

lenny
Patron of SPCR

Post by lenny » Fri Dec 05, 2003 12:10 pm

Are your fans powered off motherboard headers? If so, is Q Fan (or whatever Asus calls it) enabled?

I don't think a computer can wake itself from hibernate, at least not without hardware intervention. Hibernate is essentially shutdown while saving RAM state to disk. There's BIOS alarm, serial port Ring signal, Wake on LAN, IPMI on server boards. There might even be some USB signal that might wake up a computer from hibernate / power off state. I wonder how my Creative Digital VCR does it (haven't used it in ages) - gotta go back and check the manual.

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Fri Dec 05, 2003 12:33 pm

i have a p4p800 non deluxe and the fans only go off when i turn the computer completely off. I never heard of going into hybernate turning the fans off. This is all new to me.

soundOFsilence

Post by soundOFsilence » Fri Dec 05, 2003 1:01 pm

Thanks for the replies. I guess I will have to live with it. I wonder how the HPs pulled it off. The m300y was an off brand microATX motherboard.

I will need to get a quiet power supply for sure, because the one I have is definitely not silent. It is a 120mm Works Power PSU, www.workspower.com. I would also want to add a filter to the intake fan so that the PC does not suck all the dust in from the room since the fans would be on 24/7. Anything else to watch out for on a 24/7 PC?

canthearyou

Post by canthearyou » Fri Dec 05, 2003 1:23 pm

There is an option, I think, in the bios, to turn off the MB controlled fans, I suppose the CPU, during standy/hiberante for my A7V133. It's been a long time since I saw it. I an unsure of how wise that would be, so never tried it.

lenny
Patron of SPCR

Post by lenny » Fri Dec 05, 2003 1:25 pm

For fans powered off the MB headers, if the BIOS doesn't support it, you'd need to hack the BIOS. This is so way beyond my experience (not since Apple II days - am I dating myself?) that I won't comment further on it.

Alternatives : variable speed fans that will actually switch itself off, custom fan control circuitry.

I did check the Creative Digital VCR manual. It's wake up from Standby. There's a sentence or two that says "not all computers support scheduled wake up from standby mode" or something to that effect so no help there.

I wonder how easy it is to build a standalone network programmable device that will send wake-on-lan signals on demand. Maybe you can also google for how to alter BIOS wake up alarm from Windows (if possible).
soundOFsilence wrote:Anything else to watch out for on a 24/7 PC?
UPS. And if you have inquisitive children at home, something to lock the keyboard / mouse.

Wedge

Post by Wedge » Fri Dec 05, 2003 9:14 pm

I have asked the same question here.

soundOFsilence

Post by soundOFsilence » Sat Dec 06, 2003 6:59 am

Ok, I have solved the issue for the most part. I have set the S3 (suspend to ram) option in the bios. When I select standby, now the system suspends to ram and turns all fans off. This works as fast as an S1 standby, and not like s4 hibernation.

I have checked, and the XP Media Center TV recorder does wake the pc from this state to do a scheduled tv recording. Yay!

However, I cannot get USB devices (remote control) to wake the system up from this state. p4p800 has a set of jumpers to enable this, I have set them to allow this, to no avail. When I go to device manager, USB2.0 hub has the "allow this device to wake pc..." grayed out. I downloaded updated usb 2.0 support from microsoft, I also checked there does not seem to be a bios update to enable this. What gives? (I actually do not have a floppy disk drive, how do I flash bios without a floppy drive? can I use a usb ms reader?)

Anyhow, just thought I would update. p4p800 CAN run silent in standby after all...

soundOFsilence

Post by soundOFsilence » Sat Dec 06, 2003 7:14 am

Solved that last bit too. Copied:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\usb]
"USBBIOSHACKS"=dword:00000000
"USBBIOSx"=dword:00000000

(copyright crazy @ thegreenbutton.com :))

into usb.reg file in notepad, and double click to add to registry. Voila! Now USB devices wale computer up from S3 standby.

lenny
Patron of SPCR

Post by lenny » Sat Dec 06, 2003 7:34 am

Thanks for the update.

lenny
Patron of SPCR

Post by lenny » Sat Dec 06, 2003 8:19 am

I tried it on my system. Results:

1. Enable BIOS STR : fans still on.
2. Control Panel, Power Options, Power Schemes set to Minimal Power Management : fans still on.
3. System Prop., Dev Manager, Mouse, Power Management, uncheck "Allow this device to bring the computer out of standby" : success!

If I don't select Minimal in (2) fans remain on.

But now I need to press Power on keyboard to wake it up. Previously Space Bar would do. Oh well. Little loss, much gain. Have not tried registry hack for mouse wakeup.

Reinstalling XP is most definitely NOT required.

Wedge

Post by Wedge » Sun Dec 07, 2003 12:03 am

@soundOFsilence,

Glad to see you got it sorted, and btw, good tip on the registry hack, thanks.

@lenny

The choice for using the power button or the space bar are both options in my BIOS for bringing the PC out of standby using the keyboard, as well as a couple other optional keys. So, maybe yours is configurable from there as well.

Incidentally, I finally DID re-install my operating system, and it most definitely did work for my setup. It may not be required for all, but with my configuration it worked by having the BIOS settings in place before installing XP. All fans now go off when in standby. Glad you found a fix for yours.