Sub-$20 CPU Coolers: A Reader's Roundup

Want to talk about one of the articles in SPCR? Here's the forum for you.
MikeC
Site Admin

Sub-$20 CPU Coolers: A Reader's Roundup

Post by MikeC » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:40 am

CA_Steve

Re: Sub-$20 CPU Coolers: A Reader's Roundup

Post by CA_Steve » Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:19 am

Nice article. Sound is a funny thing as shown by the difference between perceived loudness vs measured. Or taken another way, what's a few dB between friends. :)

bastiaan

Post by bastiaan » Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:55 pm

This article was a very interesting read. It is somewhat surprising that an cooler named 'Arctic GT' performs worse than Intel's stock cooler in both the 'quiet' and 'max' profiles. Fortunately most of the cheap coolers do better.

Would you guys (SPCR) be interested in putting a selection (maybe the three winners according to Andrew) through the regular testing process so that we can see how they compare to the higher-priced models that are usually reviewed here?

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:01 pm

bastiaan wrote:Would you guys (SPCR) be interested in putting a selection (maybe the three winners according to Andrew) through the regular testing process so that we can see how they compare to the higher-priced models that are usually reviewed here?
Good idea. I was wondering whether/how to run all these models through the SPCR test process... obviously no need to do them all! 8)

btw, the stock cooler is actually better, imo, than Andrew thinks. Listen to the MP3s, then consider the high/low cooling performance. It's actually not bad.

dragoth

Post by dragoth » Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:15 pm

Hey, Mike! Thanks again for running with my crazy idea.

I think I may have an uncharacteristically bad sample of the stock cooler, as that's the only one of the dozen I didn't send you.

Although, after all that testing.... *That's* what's on my HTPC right now. Threw a resistor on it and it's just fine.

You're right, it really isn't that bad of a cooler, all things considered. But $20 *can* get you better, it turns out. Not best, but better.

frenchie
Friend of SPCR

Post by frenchie » Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:03 am

Very nice article !!
Thank you Andrew and Mike, very nice write-up.

kevith

Post by kevith » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:10 am

Very nice article, thnx. :)

BillyBuerger
Patron of SPCR

Post by BillyBuerger » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:46 am

This was a good read even if there was no real surprises. A mix of another persons perspective with some SPCR goodness to top it off. I've used a handful of AC Pros over the years for simple and cheap replacements for the stock coolers and have been happy with them. So my experience fits with the results.

nagi

Post by nagi » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:18 am

Hey there, just popped in to say nice review and good idea.

loimlo

Post by loimlo » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:36 pm

Though too late, I'd like to express my appreciation to both of yours.

Btw, a few things for addendum.
1. SilenX Effizio's manufacturer is PCCooler in China. It's VERY popular in china. PCCooler made a HUGE variety of this design of downward air cooler(LED , No LED/Color, No Color/Fast, Slow FAN etc) .... PCCooler also made lots of inexpensive, side-blowing HDT tower coolers.

I got mine (2500RPM fan ver) at USD5 when I'm on a business travel in china. You can check below web-links for further information(in Chinese).

http://www.pccooler.cn/products/pc-1/cpu-2.html
http://www.pccooler.cn/products/pc/cpu/ ... 8%9F3.html

2. Deepcool, a local maker of air cooler, is second to PCCooler in china. It also made lots of inexpensive HDT tower coolers in china. I've had mediocre experience with their "high-end" air cooler in the past ........ Their low-end / budget offering is better in terms of price / performance.

kuzzia
Friend of SPCR

Post by kuzzia » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:07 am

It's great to here that my AC Pro does well in your test.

I have one myself, cooling an AMD Athlon X3 425 @stock and I can wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone who needs a very quiet, budget cooler.