SSD bottleneck - new mobo, SATA controller or wait?

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Thomas

Re: SSD bottleneck - new mobo, SATA controller or wait?

Post by Thomas » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:14 pm

quest_for_silence wrote:
Thomas wrote:EDIT: The only reason for comparing the Core i7 2760 and FX8320, is that I have access to a laptop with this particular i7, and thus rin my beloved NX2 on that. So the comparision is only for getting an idea of what I can expect with CPU power like the Core i7 2760 ;-)
If it's possible, enter the laptop bios and disable the HyperThreading, then repeat your test with NX2: IMHO it could be interesting sharing the relevant details.
Very good suggestion here :-)

I tested, and... no difference (not enough that I could mesure it at least).

Thomas

Post by Thomas » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:19 pm

Abula wrote:Establish how much cpu power you need, specially if you will benefit from hyperthreading, most people dont, but some do into encoding or editing, but in my experience hypertheraded cpus run hotter on load, so something to keep in mind, specially to check if you need it or not.
Yup, I believe this is my single most important task, before continuing. I'll do some testing on the laptop, during my recent test with NX2, I digged around and some tasks requires more power than others. I'll try identifying the most power hungry ones and work from there. I got a sense that I need more power than the laptop got, so I gues that counts out AMD... :-)

Abula

Post by Abula » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:46 pm

Thomas wrote:
Abula wrote:Establish how much cpu power you need, specially if you will benefit from hyperthreading, most people dont, but some do into encoding or editing, but in my experience hypertheraded cpus run hotter on load, so something to keep in mind, specially to check if you need it or not.
Yup, I believe this is my single most important task, before continuing. I'll do some testing on the laptop, during my recent test with NX2, I digged around and some tasks requires more power than others. I'll try identifying the most power hungry ones and work from there. I got a sense that I need more power than the laptop got, so I gues that counts out AMD... :-)
The AMD chips are not bad, but really depends if the software you will use is well design for multicore use, specially above 4, else the intels will whip it, but if the apps do use all cores efficiently they are decent options.

Given that there are tons of benchmarks for cpus, one that its used a lot on Blue iris to compare CPUs is passmark, but this might not be significative to your particular case, you need to find if you software will use all cores or not.

Intel Core i7-2670QM @ 2.20GHz Average CPU Mark 6015
Intel Core i5-4690K @ 3.50GHz Average CPU Mark 7740
AMD FX-8350 Eight-Core Average CPU Mark 9022
Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4.00GHz Average CPU Mark 11345

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:21 am

Thomas wrote:I tested, and... no difference (not enough that I could mesure it at least).
So, apparently NX cannot exploit HT, therefore there should be no need for a Core i7.

I don't know whether an AMD FX-8XXX may be effective, however, given they are not true 8 cores CPU (as well as the Core i7, even if in a different way), your mileage may vary (not to mention FXs are usually not well suited for silent computing, as they're hotter even than your relatively hot current CPU).