Interesting Video of Corsair and JonnyGuru

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Abula

Interesting Video of Corsair and JonnyGuru

Post by Abula » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:02 am

A little marketing... but to me was interesting to some point into talking about PSUs,

Overclocker Ronaldo Buassali Interviews Jon Gerow, aka JonnyGuru

jonnyGURU

Re: Interesting Video of Corsair and JonnyGuru

Post by jonnyGURU » Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:32 pm

The guy on the left is an ass.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:12 pm

jonnyGURU wrote:The guy on the left is an ass.

Yeah, they would have to send either Wolfie or Tazz in your place... :mrgreen:

tim851

Post by tim851 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:10 pm

From a journalistic point-of-view I think jonnyguru.com should make it apparent that the site founder (and I presume current owner) is working for Corsair - it's a GIANT conflict of interest!

jonnyGURU

Post by jonnyGURU » Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:03 pm

tim851 wrote:From a journalistic point-of-view I think jonnyguru.com should make it apparent that the site founder (and I presume current owner) is working for Corsair - it's a GIANT conflict of interest!
Welcome to the Internets: http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9216

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:00 am

tim851 wrote:From a journalistic point-of-view
OMG: I was teasing tim, as JG did: you're really german...

jonnyGURU wrote:Welcome to the Internets: http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9216
...I beg your pardon for my post, JG: I meant it as an innocent joke, but it wasn't enough: I'm sorry.

tim851

Post by tim851 » Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:06 pm

jonnyGURU wrote:
tim851 wrote:From a journalistic point-of-view I think jonnyguru.com should make it apparent that the site founder (and I presume current owner) is working for Corsair - it's a GIANT conflict of interest!
Welcome to the Internets: http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9216
Ah, okay then.
Might wanna update the "About Us" page.
quest_for_silence wrote:
tim851 wrote:From a journalistic point-of-view
OMG: I was teasing tim, as JG did: you're really german...
The hell?!
I didn't even understand your post. It had absolutely nothing to do with what I wrote. Neither has my citizenship.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:46 pm

tim851 wrote:Might wanna update the "About Us" page.

I guess it's already up to date: "Whenever Jon has employment that creates a conflict of interest, he bows out of the participation in doing reviews, but he's a permanent fixture in the forums."

tim851 wrote:Neither has my citizenship.
As I've quoted the entire JonnyGURU.com staff, as you don't quote any single word of any previous post, as your post is right after mine, I've done my educated guess of why you're writing so: in my opinion, it was a lack of sense of humour (that's why your citizenship may matter).

Said that (i.e. your post has nothing to do with mine), if you ever watched that video, Jon Gerow clearly stated what he do, and what he did in the very first minute and there's nothing to misunderstand in those words: so "from a journalistic point of view", strictly referencing to the words you actually used, your post seems even more gratuitously sloppy, if possible.

Have a nice time.

jonnyGURU

Post by jonnyGURU » Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:34 pm

Ok guys.. it's all fun and games until someone cramps a finger. Let's be nice and move on. :D

tim851

Post by tim851 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:02 am

quest_for_silence wrote:As I've quoted the entire JonnyGURU.com staff, as you don't quote any single word of any previous post, as your post is right after mine, I've done my educated guess of why you're writing
It was a guess alright...
I guess it's already up to date: "Whenever Jon has employment that creates a conflict of interest, he bows out of the participation in doing reviews, but he's a permanent fixture in the forums."
So?
If Jon was still the boss at the site, not participating in a review would not mean Corsair products wouldn't get preferential treatment from other reviewers.
in my opinion, it was a lack of sense of humour (that's why your citizenship may matter).
Maybe Germans would get the joke if Italian humor was less silly.
if you ever watched that video, Jon Gerow clearly stated what he do, and what he did in the very first minute and there's nothing to misunderstand in those words
In the video -at least the first couple of minutes- Jon only states he works at Corsair. He does NOT state, that he is no longer involved with jonnyGURU.com, on the contrary, it sounds like he was.

That's why I wrote what I wrote.
so "from a journalistic point of view", strictly referencing to the words you actually used, your post seems even more gratuitously sloppy, if possible.
A quick forum post is not journalism, is it?

But considering the state of the Italian press, I'm not shocked you can't tell the difference...

bastiaan

Post by bastiaan » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:49 am

I personally would appreciate it if the discussion were to involve the content of the interview rather than the person(s). I don't care about jonnyGURU's affiliations, so long as they are clearly stated (they were).

As such, I'm having trouble deciding whether his recommendation to buy a bigger PSU to get a quieter system is accepted among the SPCR crowd, although I could easily see that Corsair would prefer to sell a bigger PSU due to (presumably) higher margins.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:26 am

Stop beating each other with sticks in public, guys. Further inflammatory posts will be deleted or possibly edited with amusing results.

bastiaan: My generic recommendation to people that could only keep one suggestion in their head used to be 'buy one with twice the wattage of your expected gaming/app load'. Before there were passive or semi-passive designs, one constant was fan ramp accelerated around 50% load. So, if you bought a 500W class PSU for a PC that consumed ~250W while gaming, chances are the PSU fan noise wouldn't be dominant in the system. Plus, a smaller PSU might not have all the PEG connectors your video card needs. For more astute builders, you can look at the fan rpm/SPL levels at your expected load and see if it meets your needs. Fan profiles are all over the place these days.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:09 am

bastiaan wrote:As such, I'm having trouble deciding whether his recommendation to buy a bigger PSU to get a quieter system is accepted among the SPCR crowd, although I could easily see that Corsair would prefer to sell a bigger PSU due to (presumably) higher margins.

Well, IMO/IME it depends of the specific platform: what it's probably true is that nowadays PSU fan controllers can be used more "creatively" than in the past.
Just for instance, with reference to Corsair lineup, IMO for the (three) RM-series, that recommendation isn't all that true, while for their AXi-series more likely the bigger are also quieter.
For the new HXi-series I don't have enough data on fan profiles from independent sources, but the 1kW unit would seem to sport a very relaxed fan curve.
With reference to top-tier OEMs (Seasonic, Super Flower), broadly speaking I don't think that recommendation can be accepted without noise-penalty, but it strongly depends of the power level of choice.

jonnyGURU

Post by jonnyGURU » Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:13 am

"quest" is correct. It really depends on how the PSU's fan controller is programmed.

One thing's for sure... if you buy a PSU that's "just enough" for your build, that PSU is going to be loud as bonkers at full load.

Take these articles with a grain of salt.. since I work for Corsair and everything... but Dustin and I did some experiments using the same build in the same environment, changing only the PSU....

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/blog/2014/ ... fan-speeds

Here you can see the 1200i is FAR quieter than the 760i at the same load.

When we did the same thing with the RM, however:

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/blog/2014/ ... _fan-speed

The results were all over the map!

The 550W was quieter than the 750W.... and much quieter than the 650W! The 850W was the same as the 750W (of course, they're pretty much the same PSU) and the 1000W was completely silent... which makes sense since the load was only around 450W.

Certainly no blanket statements to be made from this. :lol: