Cooler Master Hyper T4 Failure

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

fastturtle

Cooler Master Hyper T4 Failure

Post by fastturtle » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:18 am

I'm thankful that the Haswells are such cool running when under clocked as my Hyper T4 cooler totally failed me. Turns out you can not/shall not/do not ever want to mount them in the vertical position (mounting rails facing up/down) as the problem is vibration. The cooler eventually slid down the bracket and completely uncovered the CPU heat spreader. That's right, my system was fully on air w/o a cooler and the only reason it survived was a combination of a locked multiplier at 16 (1600mhz) and temps in the near freezing - room was comfortable probably due to the cpu.

Investigated due to an ever increasing CPU fan noise as I was using a custom cooling profile with 25% fan speed at 45c. CPU multiplier at 16 (1600Mhz) underclock the CPU didn't even hit that 45c until it slid down and uncovered the CPU completely. Must have had sufficient air flow across the CPU itself (true air cooled) to keep it down to 50-55c range and saving my ass. Thanks Intel for such cool running CPU's.

Currently using the stock Intel cooler and I'm not happy with it because it's far less effective then Hyper T4 (even at idle cpu is hitting 45+c with fan at 1062 rpm).