How quiet / noisy are the TIVO series 2 standalone DVRs?

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

mshan

How quiet / noisy are the TIVO series 2 standalone DVRs?

Post by mshan » Sun Dec 07, 2003 4:50 pm

Anybody know the make and model of the hard drives in the 40 GB and 80 GB TIVO series 2 digital video recorders?

Also, how loud is the exhaust fan?

More generally, how is the build quality and reliability of these DVRs (do they only differ in harrd drive capacity?)

mrtransistor
Patron of SPCR

Post by mrtransistor » Tue Dec 09, 2003 10:43 am

I have a 40GB Series 2 DVR. I've had it for about a month. So far, I'm pleased with the quality. It's incredibly easy to use and it does exactly what it's supposed to do. How many products can make that claim?

The noise level is a bit of an issue. The fan in the back is fairly loud. The unit is in my living room, so it doesn't really bother me. If it were in my bedroom, I'd go nuts. I'd say the noise is about the same as a cheap-o case fan, which to me is pretty bad. Now, these are personal observations and I'm rather sensitive to noise. YMMV.

mshan

Post by mshan » Tue Dec 09, 2003 10:46 am

Is there any hard drive whine or is it just a small, high rpm exhaust fan that is problematic?

Also, any idea what the actual make and model of hard drive are used in the TIVO series standalone DVRs?

mrtransistor
Patron of SPCR

Post by mrtransistor » Tue Dec 09, 2003 11:10 am

I can't hear any hard drive whine. All the noise seems to be coming from the fan. I'm not sure about the make and model of the drive. I'll look throuhg the manual when I get home. I don't want to take the thing apart.

wisefool
*Lifetime Patron*

Tivo

Post by wisefool » Mon Jan 19, 2004 2:20 pm

Finally got a TivoDirectv box (HDVR2). It has a stock panaflo FBL06A12L.

Ratings are 15cfm, 3200rpm, 24dBA.

My tivo box sits 9-10 feet from my seat, in a closed cabinet (glass doors). I really cannot hear it at this distance.

That said, when I get my new HD upgrade, I'll poke around and see if I get away with undervolted fans.

mpteach

Post by mpteach » Mon Jan 19, 2004 2:28 pm

I bought a $50 TV-tuner/recorder card. It came with an ir sensor and a remote congrol. Compro Video mate. It can pause tv like a tivo and im only limited by the size of my hard dirve.

flyingsherpa
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by flyingsherpa » Mon Jan 19, 2004 3:47 pm

Ok this thread is a month old but I just saw it...

My Tivo series 2 standalone has an 80GB Western Digital drive in it and a 60mm fan. The drive says WD800 on it... it almost looks like WD made these just for Tivos. There is actually a red stamp on the drive that says "Tivo".

I've had the unit for about 9 months now... it was initially very quiet but in the past 2-3 months it has gotten louder. I took it apart to see the components and it seemed liked i was getting both drive and fan noise. but my box is still under warranty so i didn't want to mess w/ it too much at the time. eventually i'll probably replace both the drive and the fan. i've seen pics of people using a 60-80mm adapter and using a 5V panaflo-ish fan... but then it sticks way out the back of the unit.

you don't really notice the noise while using the tivo... but i wouldn't want to sit and read in the room that its in.