Silverstone Mammoth MM01.

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Spoon Boy

Silverstone Mammoth MM01.

Post by Spoon Boy » Fri May 01, 2015 8:32 am

Even though SilverStone are targeting this case at harsh environments does anyone think it could be re-purposed as a silent case?

http://silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=525

It seems with baffled intakes and exhausts along with HEPA filters it could possibly do a good job of keeping sound inside the case, Techspot have a review of it here.

Thoughts?

quest_for_silence

Re: Silverstone Mammoth MM01.

Post by quest_for_silence » Fri May 01, 2015 9:05 am

Spoon Boy wrote:Thoughts?

The sub-par thermals lead to fast-paced fans spinning: so apparently it isn't well suited, IMHO.

Spoon Boy

Post by Spoon Boy » Fri May 01, 2015 11:03 am

Yea i thought the same thing until i read they used the CPU cooler in passive mode and only used the two intake fans, in the wrap up they say the following...
If you install a 120mm exhaust fan as well as a fan on the CPU cooler, temperatures would be reduced further and chances are the case's low fan speed setting would suffice.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Fri May 01, 2015 11:10 am

Spoon Boy wrote:Yea i thought the same thing until i read they used a Prolimatech Megahalems in passive mode, and only used the two intake fans.
In the wrap up they say the following...
If you install a 120mm exhaust fan as well as a fan on the CPU cooler, temperatures would be reduced further and chances are the case's low fan speed setting would suffice.
Indeed, but they are talking of two 180mm fans, which are not that quiet even at their low setting (and even if they are the more advanced AP182, they also have to deal with a very peculiar filter): actually it should be tried, but personally I wouldn't bet on a flying-colours outcome.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Fri May 01, 2015 5:32 pm

Spoon Boy wrote:...
In the wrap up they say the following...
...the case's low fan speed setting would suffice.
Problem is if they are not SPCR, then they dont have our test chamber. so you basically can toss what they say out the window.

whispercat

Post by whispercat » Tue May 22, 2018 3:47 pm

Linus recently reviewed the Mammoth: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Af6bhAkZF0

Abula

Post by Abula » Tue May 22, 2018 7:45 pm

Seems a case more oriented for people that live on environments with tons of dust.

Its a very niche product imo, none the less i like the inverted layout (reminds me of the TJ08E) weather its can be cool off quietly its something that i doubt, the hepa filter seems very restrictive, but not all hardware needs a ton of cooling, so to me this case is only worth it for people with heavy dust environments.

Olle P

Post by Olle P » Thu May 24, 2018 3:48 am

I'd love to have that case!
I've considered mounting HEPA filters on the intake of my current chassis, but not gotten around to it.
The dust entering past my pollen filters stick fairly hard to all heatsink surfaces...