slk3700bqe psu fan is really noisy!!

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

adder

slk3700bqe psu fan is really noisy!!

Post by adder » Tue Dec 09, 2003 12:52 am

Now I know this is not just me because a few of you guys have already commented on it!
Does anyone reckon there could be just a dodgy batch going around?
Anybody swapped the fan out with a Panaflo and noticed a marked improvement but does this mean finding somebody who is good with a soldering iron?

Yours disappointed
:cry:

adder

Post by adder » Tue Dec 09, 2003 1:28 pm

I've narrowed the problem down a bit!
When it fitst starts up at circa 1200rpm the fan is pretty quiet, but after 5 minutes or so it's up to 1750rpm and making loadsa noise!

I've had a look at Speedfan but it seems unable to cap the fan speed.
I'm running a Duron 1.6 cos I read there were low power consumers and my temps are 46 for the cpu and 26 for the HDD (it's one of those quiet Samsung ones), so I'm not really bothered about that.

Any idea what I can do to cap the fan speeds before I decide on radical action like get an Intel chip and spend loadamoney on a copper cooler, etc

By the way I'm running a circa $10 Microflow cooler reduced to 5v!

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by JVM » Tue Dec 09, 2003 1:51 pm

adder wrote:I've narrowed the problem down a bit!
When it fitst starts up at circa 1200rpm the fan is pretty quiet, but after 5 minutes or so it's up to 1750rpm and making loadsa noise!

I've had a look at Speedfan but it seems unable to cap the fan speed.
I'm running a Duron 1.6 cos I read there were low power consumers and my temps are 46 for the cpu and 26 for the HDD (it's one of those quiet Samsung ones), so I'm not really bothered about that.

Any idea what I can do to cap the fan speeds before I decide on radical action like get an Intel chip and spend loadamoney on a copper cooler, etc

By the way I'm running a circa $10 Microflow cooler reduced to 5v!
How about a Zalman Fan Mate 1? You could drop the voltage down to 5 volts continuous if temperatures permit.

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by JVM » Tue Dec 09, 2003 1:54 pm

I don't know anything about that cooler you mentioned but maybe an upgrade is in order or just raising its voltage?

adder

Post by adder » Tue Dec 09, 2003 3:06 pm

jvm, thanks for the input.

Sorry, should have clarified the Microflow is on the cpu - I was just trying to emphasize what a cheap cpu/cooling solution this is and it seems to run pretty quick as well!

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by JVM » Tue Dec 09, 2003 5:16 pm

No problem.

Consider putting a Fan Mate on the rear case fan and undervolting to 5 volts. The stock Sonata fan running off a Fan Mate will be continuous RPM's without the jump up in speed that is bothering you now. The only thing is you will have to watch your temps to make sure everything is running well with reduced fan speed.

You will need a 4 to 3 pin adapter for connecting to a Fan mate as the Sonata is a 4 pin connection and Fan Mate is 3 pin both male and female.

RikA

Post by RikA » Wed Dec 10, 2003 1:55 am

I wonder if the UK versions of this case have a noisier PSU than the USA versions. I swapped out the supplied Antec PSU for a ThermalTake Silent Purepower supply (not sure how good it's supposed to be) and it was much, much quieter.

I'm glad it's not just me having this problem, anyway!!!

chylld

Re: slk3700bqe psu fan is really noisy!!

Post by chylld » Wed Dec 10, 2003 3:04 am

adder wrote:Anybody swapped the fan out with a Panaflo and noticed a marked improvement but does this mean finding somebody who is good with a soldering iron?
A soldering iron? I hope not. I have an 80L on my floor, I should be picking up my BQE tomorrow. (I bought the 80L as a psu fan replacement)

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Wed Dec 10, 2003 6:00 am

adder wrote:I've narrowed the problem down a bit!
Maybe your case temps are getting too hot? (although I doubt it if you only run for 5 minutes before your PSU spins up)

The PSU fan on my review sample never changed it's rpm, even under extended runs of Prime95 and CPUburn loading so maybe you got a bad one.