Problem wiring case fans to motherboard-need help (fractal)

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

monkey12

Problem wiring case fans to motherboard-need help (fractal)

Post by monkey12 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:33 pm

Hi,

With my new Fractal Define R5 build, I'm having problems figuring out the best way to connect the case fans.
The motherboard has 4 pin male case fan headers, and the stock Fractal case fans have 3 pin female connectors.

I would like to have motherboard software control the fan speed for quietness using PWM or whatever is the best option for noise. The motherboard manual says:

4x4 pin Chasis fan connectors for both 3 pin (DC MODE) and 4 pin (PWM) fan control. Does this mean I need a fan with a 4 pin plug for PWM. I read somewhere on Toms that the 3 pin fan would be on full speed all the time if I plug it in and I need to upgrade to a 4 pin fan.

What 4 pin fan would you recommend over the Fractal Case fans?. I need something as quiet or even quieter with similar air flow.

Thanks
Monkey
Last edited by monkey12 on Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

quest_for_silence

Re: Problem wiring case fans to motherboard-need help (fract

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:19 pm

monkey12 wrote:What is the best way to set this up?

With reference to an ATX board, 3 pin fans are mechanically compatible with 4 pin fan headers (they are keyed the same way).

So hook up those Fractal fans to the relevant motherboard headers, then run into the UEFI and change the headers control to DC mode. Eventually tweak up the relevant fan curves, either using the UEFI interface itself (usually less flexible), or some suitable piece of software (like SpeedFan, or like the utility supplied with your mobo).

monkey12

Post by monkey12 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:23 pm

quest_for_silence wrote:
monkey12 wrote:What is the best way to set this up?

With reference to an ATX board, 3 pin fans are mechanically compatible with 4 pin fan headers (they are keyed the same way).

So hook up those Fractal fans to the relevant motherboard headers, then run into the UEFI and change the headers control to DC mode. Eventually tweak up the relevant fan curves, either using the UEFI interface itself (usually less flexible), or some suitable piece of software (like SpeedFan, or like the utility supplied with your mobo).
Thanks Luca,

Is it worth upgrading to a 4 pin fan so I can use PWM? Will that help for quietness?

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:25 pm

Had to do a search for the other thread where you name the motherboard...Asus Deluxe WS X99.

The 4 pin motherboard headers will be labeling something like: + / Gnd / sensor / PWM
in your manual. Your three pin fan plugs will fit onto the + / Gnd / sensor part of the header.

Go into your UEFI's (BIOS) section for the fan control and set these headers for voltage control. Then, set the waypoints as you like or use Fan Xpert s/w.

monkey12

Post by monkey12 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:37 pm

CA_Steve wrote:Had to do a search for the other thread where you name the motherboard...Asus Deluxe WS X99.

The 4 pin motherboard headers will be labeling something like: + / Gnd / sensor / PWM
in your manual. Your three pin fan plugs will fit onto the + / Gnd / sensor part of the header.

Go into your UEFI's (BIOS) section for the fan control and set these headers for voltage control. Then, set the waypoints as you like or use Fan Xpert s/w.
Thanks to you too.

So, Is Voltage Control adequate for case fans or will PWM control be better? I could always upgrade to a 4 pin fan, like the Noctua (the one that is on the CPU). The manual says PWM control with 4 pins. I'm looking for the quietest solution that I can get with adequate air flow.

Thanks

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:45 pm

monkey12 wrote:So, Is Voltage Control adequate for case fans or will PWM control be better?

Voltage and PWM control are just different, there isn't a "better" one: there are just good or bad fans, either PWM or voltage controlled ones.

Those stock FD GP2 fans are good sounding 3 pin ones, so apparently there's no need to improve: but all in all, you have just to try them.

Whether you'd end up not completely satisfied by your tests, then you might swap them with other fans, even PWM ones, like the Phanteks PH-F140HP.

monkey12

Post by monkey12 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:05 pm

quest_for_silence wrote:
monkey12 wrote:So, Is Voltage Control adequate for case fans or will PWM control be better?

Voltage and PWM control are just different, there isn't a "better" one: there are just good or bad fans, either PWM or voltage controlled ones.

Those stock FD GP2 fans are good sounding 3 pin ones, so apparently there's no need to improve: but all in all, you have just to try them.

Whether you'd end up not completely satisfied by your tests, then you might swap them with other fans, even PWM ones, like the Phanteks PH-F140HP.
Thanks, but that fan got a bad review on newegg - someone claims it is noisy.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:55 pm

monkey12 wrote:
quest_for_silence wrote:

Thanks, but that fan got a bad review on newegg - someone claims it is noisy.
bad units of any product do exist. and so do shoddy reviews by competitors, and the clueless.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:19 pm

You should at least try the stock case fans and see if they meet your needs before chasing perfection.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:19 pm

monkey12 wrote:Thanks, but that fan got a bad review on newegg - someone claims it is noisy.

Which fan? I quoted two.

Btw, NewEgg's comments just suck, usually, while all the quoted fans got glowing reviews by SPCR: so who do you trust more, an anonymous kid on NewEgg, or the SPCR reviewers?

Eventually, those (already given) are our advices: if you don't like us, don't ask us, right? :wink:

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:39 am

FWIW, the stock fans on the R5 case are about as quiet as any we've ever come across. They really push the case value up quite a notch.

suchageek
Friend of SPCR

Post by suchageek » Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:44 pm

^^^
They are pretty darn quiet. There is a 5v option on the built-in fan controller. If you need more airflow, bump it up to 7v. At least try them. I know someone who ordered a third one and he could have ordered anything else and he chose to stick with the Fractal ones.