Another SPCR recommended list: Cases

Want to talk about one of the articles in SPCR? Here's the forum for you.
QuietCat

Post by QuietCat » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:56 pm

Sorry, Mike, don't want you to feel unappreciated for all your hard work. I'm just cranky after cleaning the Solo for the umpteenth time.

KayDat

Post by KayDat » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:25 pm

Mike, the link on the bottom of page 3 to Cases and Dampening is broken; Chrome says you linked http://section11.html.

Edit:
QuietCat wrote:FYI - The link for the Fortress FT01 review is broken:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/silverstone_fortress_ft01

That page is the first page of the case overview by another name. Which cryptically has 'Silverstone Fortress FT01: Positive Pressure Case' as the headline. However, if you click through the pages foolishly hoping to read something about the FT01 and get to page 5 and click on the FT01 link from the recommended table you arrive back at page 1 of the case overview where you can navigate to page 5 of the article and click on the FT01 link from the recommended table arrive back at page 1 of the case overview and so on and so on.

Not to be negative, but is this deliberate, as the FT01 is a positive pressure case and you wanted a tantalizingly close, yet unrequited recursive display so that peeps would give up and go back to those negative pressure dust-sucking cases like the Solo? :wink:
Did some digging, and here are Google cache backups of the article. Most of the images are missing, but you at least have the text to read. =]

Page 1
Page 2
Page 3
Page 4
Page 5
Page 6
Page 7

Edit2: The images still reside on the SPCR server...so you could save the cached page on your computer and open that, but then you'd lose the theme. Oh well, can't have everything. We can just wait for Mike to fix it I guess... :wink:

QuietCat

Post by QuietCat » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:14 pm

Good sleuthing, KayDat. Thanks for the search. It's all good 'cept for page 5 which links to the FT02 article.

I'd be happy to put the pages and pics back together again, but I think spcr is using a CMS, so the dynamic sidebar content would be lost. But, we could party like it was 2009. :lol:

KayDat

Post by KayDat » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:23 pm

Hm, strange. The link I gave was indeed incorrect, but I just searched again, and page 5 should theoretically be here, but it doesn't seem to exist. I got to the Google caches of the pages by searching "site:silentpcreview.com Silverstone ft01 article953-page5", changing the page number as I went. So I can get a listing, but the cache isn't working.

frenchie
Friend of SPCR

Post by frenchie » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:19 am

I have to add something to the GPU length debate : a Gainward 9800GTX+ DOES fit in a Solo (see link in my sig for pics).
However it will block one or two hard drive bays.

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: Another SPCR recommended list: Cases

Post by Das_Saunamies » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:57 pm

Just a quick heads-up: the site rearrangement has broken the P180 review link (as found in http://www.silentpcreview.com/article75-page6.html; link is http://www.silentpcreview.com/article_index.php#cases, should be http://www.silentpcreview.com/section9.html I guess).

Suggest linking to http://www.silentpcreview.com/article255-page1.html, which is the main review, part 2. There people can find links to the rest of the material.

Came across this while looking up the P180 specs in anticipation of my move to the Fractal Design Define Mini.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:23 am

Update, 13 Feb 2012: Some recommendation changes based on reviews over the past year, some minor enhancements in the text.

NT

Post by NT » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:17 am

Thank-you Mike.

zoob
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by zoob » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:58 am

Finally a refresh!

Noticed some typos in the SOLO2 segment:
The PSU remains oin the top back corner, but access to is is improved. HDD elastric suspension mounting still remains...

Guessing someone didn't have their morning coffee ;)

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:59 pm

Two small typos:

The comments of the "In Win Dragon Rider" and "Coolermaster Cosmos II" both say February 2010, instead of 2012.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:28 am

Thanks for the sharp-eyed volunteer proof readers. 8) I think I caught & corrected them all.

tweakt

Post by tweakt » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:36 pm

UK_Peter

Post by UK_Peter » Sat May 31, 2014 7:31 am

This is a fantastic list of cases. Does the date mean there haven't been any recommended cases since 2012? Looking for a mATX case around 25-35l very few made it onto the list, and I'm wondering if any newer cases have appeared that would be recommended as there's quite a few that size.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:04 am

nizer

Post by nizer » Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:14 pm

Thank you Mike, great read and important update!

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:49 pm

woo!

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:23 pm

MikeC wrote:28 Sept 2014: Complete overhaul -- http://www.silentpcreview.com/Case_Basi ... mendations

Thanks a lot Mike!

As an added bonus, given that there's no chart, I can't make any complaint about! :wink:

Xyvotha

Post by Xyvotha » Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:03 pm

MikeC wrote:28 Sept 2014: Complete overhaul -- http://www.silentpcreview.com/Case_Basi ... mendations
Thanks a lot for the great job! :D :D :D

At the bottom of page 2 there's a missing link for the Silverstone GD05 ;)

Spawn

Post by Spawn » Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:24 pm

Fractal Design Define Mini might be worth mentioning. I understand the position of Solo II, but still (btw, Solo II has 42.4L).

whispercat

Post by whispercat » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:35 am

Just an update: The CoolerMaster Silencio series is no longer available. (maybe CM have gotten out of the quiet case market?)

http://us.coolermaster.com/

Pappnaas

Post by Pappnaas » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:21 am

That might just be a decision of the US department or a website glitch:

http://eu.coolermaster.com/de/product/Lines/mid-tower/

Do US buyer not care about the noise their PC makes? :?: :shock: :mrgreen:

PS: No offense intended, but sometimes the world does not spin around the USA alone :D

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:56 am

Pappnaas wrote:Do US buyer not care about the noise their PC makes? :?: :shock: :mrgreen:

PS: No offense intended, but sometimes the world does not spin around the USA alone :D
It's just what happens when cookies on your browser automatically take you to the US site. And less about what buyers want; more, methinks, about what the marketing/PR guys think buyers want.

Pappnaas

Post by Pappnaas » Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:52 am

Yes Mike, it's a business before everything. It boils down to sales numbers, import costs and such. I agree, the subsidiaries of global companies react to what they think sells in every market and cancel or push different product lines according to local numbers.

Silent computing has reached a broader audience, but afaik there's far more revenue to make with gaming and bling-bling products, since marketing people have the opinion that gamers are far more interested in keeping up with the latest hardware available and are more willing to spend money on new systems than Joe Average does.

Different markets have different rules, i. e. Scythe is well situated in the european market and seems to have problems catering US buyers.

Then we have the whole OEM market, leading to a chinese manufacturer selling one product to different companies in different markets, like those Jonsbo cases, sold by Rosewill in the US and by Cooltek in Europe or the Superflower/Kingwin twins.

To us here at SPCR, some decisions seem more or less stupid, but it has been that way since the early days and in general i think that the situation/development/deployment silent or queit PC products has improved over the last 5 years.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:54 am

Pappnaas wrote:Silent computing has reached a broader audience, but afaik there's far more revenue to make with gaming and bling-bling products, since marketing people have the opinion that gamers are far more interested in keeping up with the latest hardware available and are more willing to spend money on new systems than Joe Average does.
Silent Computing as a market segment was more clearly visible & thus specifically targeted in earlier years of SPCR -- say from about 2 years after SPCR was created, for upwards of 7~8 years, maybe longer. But with so much of the PC user based affected by mobile computing expansion -- laptops, tablets, smart phones -- and also with real improvement in the noise of mainstream PCs (no, HPs and Dells aren't silent, but they're a lot quieter than they used to be) Silent Computing isn't as sharply demarked as a segment any more, low noise is just one of many parameters that's useful for almost anyone to boast in a list of features. (A key fact is the people just don't spend as much prolonged time at noisy PCs any more; they work on those, then switch to a laptop, a tablet, a phone....) The main point is that it's a much less clear market segment than PC gamers.

In contrast, at IDF in San Fran in in Sept, this static was bandied about: There are 770 million PC gamers in the world. One out of every 10 people in the world, at least, is a PC gamer. Now I'm not clear on exactly where this stat came from, but it is indicative of a real phenomenon. Hardware sellers and makers I spoke with (CPUs, mobos, video cards, etc) say they experienced a boost in sales this year, and it came mostly from gaming enthusiasts. Aside from that & storage, there's still virtually no growth outside mobile computing.

Hence the focus on gaming.

But half the queries in SPCR forums are from gamers wanting to quiet their gaming rigs. lol!

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:58 am

MikeC wrote:But half the queries in SPCR forums are from gamers wanting to quiet their gaming rigs. lol!
Step 1) I want to play this game!
Step 2) I built something I heard was good to play games with!
Step 3) Why can't I hear myself think anymore?

:lol:

As an aside, people do seem more aware of quiet and silent options now. However, they still make bad purchasing decisions because the silent option is too expensive or too exotic, so they don't know if they want to invest in it - and get something mediocre and 'safe' instead. Same with mini-ITX and previously micro-ATX, as we are on the topic of Cases.

It still takes a surprising amount of convincing to sell people on not having a large, loud metal object - i.e. an ATX computer case with 'gaming' parts and an HDD farm in it - next to them while they're trying to get work done or enjoy themselves.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:16 am

Thanks for the update!

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:08 am

In case you missed it....

Update June 29, 2015 - A slew of additions to the recommended lists, including cases used in our silent build guides, and some text changes. All changes marked by darker/different colors.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/Case_Basi ... mendations

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:57 pm

Looks good! Should the Shopping Links in the case table have an actual hyperlink?

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:01 pm

Das_Saunamies wrote:Looks good! Should the Shopping Links in the case table have an actual hyperlink?
They do, but if you use a browser addon like NoScript, it'll block the two or three scripts from Amazon that are required to make the links work.

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:05 pm

CA_Steve wrote:
Das_Saunamies wrote:Looks good! Should the Shopping Links in the case table have an actual hyperlink?
They do, but if you use a browser addon like NoScript, it'll block the two or three scripts from Amazon that are required to make the links work.
Ah. I have ABP turned off for SPCR but I never turn off NoScript and Blur, too many jerks out there. :wink: