AMD Fury X fan looks...

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Tzupy
*Lifetime Patron*

AMD Fury X fan looks...

Post by Tzupy » Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:55 am

...Like a Scythe Gentle Typhoon (presumably with PWM)?
http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/amd-ra ... nline.html

Edit. This claims it's made by Cooler Master:
http://www.techpowerup.com/213416/amd-r ... ji-xt.html

lodestar

Re: AMD Fury X fan looks...

Post by lodestar » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:59 am

Ah yes, the ball bearing Gentle Typhoon... Don't know if you have picked it up yet but Scythe have gone back to ball bearings for their Slip Stream DB range.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:00 am

Tzupy wrote:...Like a Scythe Gentle Typhoon (presumably with PWM)?

I didn't checked twice, but at first glance it would like similar to the already seen Swiftech/Silverstone "Helix" design.

Tzupy
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Tzupy » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:46 am

quest_for_silence wrote:
Tzupy wrote:...Like a Scythe Gentle Typhoon (presumably with PWM)?

I didn't checked twice, but at first glance it would like similar to the already seen Swiftech/Silverstone "Helix" design.
Similar maybe but not identical. The blades are grey, not white or blue, and the hub looks like Gentle Typhoon.
The strangest part is that the GT is in the "Discontinued" section on the Scythe site (and IIRC never was PWM).
http://www.scythe-eu.com/en/products/fa ... 20-mm.html
Cooler Master have a Sickle Flow that looks similar, but again the hub doesn't match.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product

Edit. Only the first pic of the Guru3D article shows a Gentle Typhoon, the others show a different fan, with the AMD Radeon logo (GT logo was pixellated).
So the stock fan IS NOT the GT, sorry about this. I guess someone replaced the stock fan with a GT, for performance (or noise?) purposes.
I searched for the 7 bladed (and probably 15 mm thick) fan, that resembles the slim Silverstone (but which has 9 blades), and found none.

Edit2. I may have found the mystery fan, I think it's a Nidec servo D1225C GentleTyphoon, and 25 mm thick, not 15 mm as some reported:
http://www.nidec-servo.com/en/digital/pdf/D1225C_hi.pdf
Even the minimum stock (at 12V) speed on that fan is 3000 rpm, so I have no idea how it could be quiet. :shock:

Edit3. the D1225C12B7ZP-62 is not listed in the regular Nidec products, so I guess it's a special order.
While the maximum rpm is probably 3000, this is likely a PWM fan with a minimum rpm of about 600-700 rpm.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:25 am

+ better power efficiency
+ fixed the memory controller so memclock stays at idle for multimonitor 2D
+ low load temps

- still uses 50W more than the Nvidia equivalent at game loads
- idle/2D uses 20W, 66W for BD playback!
- review models have pump whine...supposedly fixed for production run.
- not SPCR levels of noise

Abula

Post by Abula » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:37 am

Would be interesting to see how does the GTX980Ti in terms of noise compared to the FuryX, personally not planning to upgrade, the GTX970 are doing fine, but who knows...... if i ever get away from blizzard/riot games.

atmartens

Post by atmartens » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:36 pm

Tzupy wrote:First Fury X reviews, and IMO looks like a flop... :(
Flop is a little much, no? It's right up there with the fastest Nvidia cards, and priced similarly. Plus, it's a much better value for gaming than any of the Titan cards ever were... were those flops as well?

I'm most intrigued by the upcoming nano card. AMD claimed even better performance per watt, and the form factor is great.

rhuebner

Post by rhuebner » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:45 pm

atmartens wrote:Plus, it's a much better value for gaming than any of the Titan cards ever were... were those flops as well?
They weren't, in their time, but they sure would be now. "Only slightly faster than the 980 Ti, but costs 50% more!" would not be a good sales pitch. As one of the reviewers said, the Ti stands for "Titan Irrelevant". The Titan's only real niche now is for those who truly need more than 6GB VRAM, and the price is way too high for that one niche feature. They've effectively been superseded.

Fury's main problem is that it came out after the 980 Ti. AMD seems to have planned the whole Fury thing without any knowledge or expectation of the 980 Ti, and without it, Fury would have been considered awesome. But now, instead of saying "Almost as fast as a Titan for 1/3rd less!", that line got grabbed by the 980 Ti, and Fury's reviews say "Not quite as fast as a 980 Ti, for the same price." And the way they stoked the hype beforehand, only to disappoint, certainly didn't help. It's like they were committed to the whole design and marketing campaign before the 980 Ti changed the landscape, and then failed utterly to adjust in time.

Whatever else you may think of them, NVidia did a masterful, textbook job of cutting AMD off at the knees. Their product design and timing were impeccable.

rhuebner

Post by rhuebner » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:20 am

Abula wrote:Would be interesting to see how does the GTX980Ti in terms of noise compared to the FuryX, personally not planning to upgrade, the GTX970 are doing fine, but who knows...... if i ever get away from blizzard/riot games.
I want to see a comparison between the Fury X's noise and a good, quiet non-reference cooler like MSI's Twin Frozr. But not until the main production units are on the shelf. The current ones are so horrible (have you seen this video?) that even normal, deaf^H^H^H^H non-aurally-sensitive people have noticed, and AMD even had to admit the problem and promise to fix it. But aside from that, what little I've seen about it so far says that the Fury X is louder than a reference 980 Ti at idle, but quieter under load. Which is backwards for me, I'm much more sensitive to the noise when I'm coding or surfing, and don't much care about fans while I'm gaming (as long as it's not drowning out the soundtrack).

But the good non-ref coolers set a much tougher standard, being pretty commonly now completely passive at idle (Yay! It's about damn time!) and still pretty quiet at load. Good luck having any AIO cooler compete with that. I've still never found any AIO's pump that was even close to inaudible, plus they need a fan pushing through a restrictive radiator too.

rhuebner

Post by rhuebner » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:07 pm

Delete