Fractal Define R5 Tested at Orfield Labs, World's Quietest

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

MikeC
Site Admin

Fractal Define R5 Tested at Orfield Labs, World's Quietest

Post by MikeC » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:33 am

In an obvious PR move, Fractal Design tested the acoustics of their Define R5 case in the anechoic chamber at Orfield Laboratories, widely described as the quietest place on earth. A comprehensive report is posted at their website: http://www.fractal-design.com/home/justsilence

The gist of their report can be reduced to this: A system that measures 28.7 dBA @ 0.5m in free air measures 7.5 dBA lower when installed in a Define R5 case. That seems like a good result, and we rate the R5 highly, but without any comparables, it's not exactly a definitive result. We don't know how much attenuation other cases would provide in the same test.

CA_Steve

Re: Fractal Define R5 Tested at Orfield Labs, World's Quiete

Post by CA_Steve » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:53 am

kewl. I'm guessing WAF will prevent SPCR's lab from upgrading to 0dB(A) reference level. :) "Honey, I need to excavate for a cellar".

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:03 am

CA_Steve wrote:kewl. I'm guessing WAF will prevent SPCR's lab from upgrading to 0dB(A) reference level. :) "Honey, I need to excavate for a cellar".
Having spent a couple days at PAX Seattle and subject to 90+ dB game sound effects most of the time, I think there's no need for any such thing. Our chamber's 10 dBA noise floor will already freak out most of SPCR's audience.

Tho I have to admit, my hon was reminding me this morn about when I used to fantasize about building a silent concrete bunker under our back yard. :lol:

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:34 am

See - you should have bought a house with a bomb shelter and repurposed that puppy. :D

It was interesting to note that Puget replaced the front Fractal 140mm fan with a Slipstream 120mm. Also, the effect of the window for 50% and 100% loads.

fyleow

Post by fyleow » Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:54 pm

CA_Steve wrote:See - you should have bought a house with a bomb shelter and repurposed that puppy. :D

It was interesting to note that Puget replaced the front Fractal 140mm fan with a Slipstream 120mm. Also, the effect of the window for 50% and 100% loads.
They use a custom internal fan mount to direct airflow to the graphics card. Older pictures show the internal fan mount uses the Scythe. Pictures of builds they do are posted on their website and it looks like they are using Noctua fans now.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/parts/phot ... kage-10044

Their smaller serenity case uses the SG10 which is interesting. The top 180mm fan is removed and blocked. No intakes are used, only a single 120mm exhaust.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/parts/phot ... kage-11117

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:56 pm

CA_Steve wrote:See - you should have bought a house with a bomb shelter and repurposed that puppy. :D
Much fewer of those in Canada than in the US. The ICBMs were supposed to crisscross go over us, not land here. :D
It was interesting to note that Puget replaced the front Fractal 140mm fan with a Slipstream 120mm.
Yeah, the Slipstream switch seems unnecessary, but perhaps it made some wee difference in the measurements.
Also, the effect of the window for 50% and 100% loads.
Really? 0.1 (at idle) and 0.4 and 0.7 dBA differences... I doubt I could hear them.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:10 pm

Heh. I must have misread the first time through - thought it was a few more dB.
The ICBMs were supposed to crisscross go over us, not land here.
So, our 1950's elementary school training for "duck and cover" (and then kiss your rear goodbye) would translate to "duck" for you. :D

ATWindsor

Post by ATWindsor » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:07 am

I am a bit surprised they where able to measure those levels with a Norsonic 121, isn't that below the capacity of that device?

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:25 pm

ATWindsor wrote:I am a bit surprised they where able to measure those levels with a Norsonic 121, isn't that below the capacity of that device?
???