New PSU

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Bearmann

Re: New PSU

Post by Bearmann » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:20 pm

karkee wrote:Yes I know, but why would I want that :D I rather have no noise than noise :p It runs nice now with the eco mode on, fan does not turn on. The EVGA is worth every penny. I hoped to be able to same the same about the 970....
Actually, I'd prefer the fan to run all the time if it's quiet, and I expect it would be. I'd rather have the fan running slowly and keep the unit at 30 degrees, rather than let it run at 49 degrees fanless and not start the fan until it hits 50 degrees, for example. Besides that heat in fanless mode is still entering the computer, and now the case fans may have to run faster to get rid of it.

Well, rereading the above posts it seems that the PSU fan may be louder than I would have thought. I'll get to experiment myself as I have an EVGA 650 platinum coming this week.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:17 pm

Bearmann wrote: Actually, I'd prefer the fan to run all the time if it's quiet, and I expect it would be.
Same here. I also prefer a steady, barely audible fan, than one that changes speed, or switches on and off.
Like Ron Popeil says, "Set it and forget it!"

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:10 pm

I think your chicken is ready.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:58 pm

" . . at least I have chicken!"
yeah, i went there.
:D

karkee

Post by karkee » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:16 pm

Bearmann wrote:
karkee wrote:Yes I know, but why would I want that :D I rather have no noise than noise :p It runs nice now with the eco mode on, fan does not turn on. The EVGA is worth every penny. I hoped to be able to same the same about the 970....
Actually, I'd prefer the fan to run all the time if it's quiet, and I expect it would be. I'd rather have the fan running slowly and keep the unit at 30 degrees, rather than let it run at 49 degrees fanless and not start the fan until it hits 50 degrees, for example. Besides that heat in fanless mode is still entering the computer, and now the case fans may have to run faster to get rid of it.

Well, rereading the above posts it seems that the PSU fan may be louder than I would have thought. I'll get to experiment myself as I have an EVGA 650 platinum coming this week.
No it runs pretty fast RPM without ECO mode, with ECO mode I think the fan ramps up slowly from the reviews I have seen but with like I5 6600K /GTX970/980 the fans should never turn on.

It is pretty much the same I think on the RMi Series™ RM1000i

I mean I don't know any PSU that has eco mode and also a very low RPM without :)

Bearmann

Post by Bearmann » Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:08 am

karkee wrote:
Bearmann wrote:

No it runs pretty fast RPM without ECO mode, with ECO mode I think the fan ramps up slowly from the reviews I have seen but with like I5 6600K /GTX970/980 the fans should never turn on.

It is pretty much the same I think on the RMi Series™ RM1000i

I mean I don't know any PSU that has eco mode and also a very low RPM without :)
Hmmmmmm. Interesting. Well maybe I'll be using ECO mode after all.

karkee

Post by karkee » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:27 am

I will probably never get to a load/temp where my EVGA 1000 P2 turns its fan on and even than its gonna start really low RPM (around 500w I found on https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/EVG ... 000/6.html ), and if I may believe that curve it starts almost on 300/400 RPM.

I have been thinking alot about the RM850i or RM1000i also , according to this it seems like it the 1000w version is also going to turn on the fan on only from 500w but at little higher ambient temp?

So don't know wich one would be the most silent from these.

So thats the only thing I still need to see :-)