Just made my first anechoic chamber! :D

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Behemot

Just made my first anechoic chamber! :D

Post by Behemot » Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:36 am

Man that was terrible work, I used about 5 square metres of molitan (local business name of PUR foam) and couple more of acoustic wavelet to cover the sides from inside. That cheap sound meter toy of mine shows 38.7 dB in silent room. Better than nothing I guess. I'll go to try the first PSU inside. If all goes well, I should also be able to measure PC cases there, though it won't be as good as it should be - there is not THAT much of space inside so it'll be about 20 cm only from the front of the cases to the meter. And don't tell me anything, the chamber is already huge as it is, designing it for the biggest cases on the market would be terrible. This old carton box from our 1990s Finlux TV set was the biggest thing I found anyway :mrgreen:

I don't aspire for any real sound measurement for the moment, more like comparison between different HW. But for a start, lets at least do it wannabe properly, not just sticking the meter somewhere around the device in ordinary noisy room, right? :D

quest_for_silence

Re: Just made my first anechoic chamber! :D

Post by quest_for_silence » Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:03 am

HA HA Pavel, you're unbelievable! :wink:

Did you take some inspiration from Mike's works? :roll:

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:09 am

What's the measurement outside of the chamber?

Abula

Post by Abula » Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:04 am

This is something that i do want to do in time.... and money allows.

Behemot

Post by Behemot » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:54 pm

quest_for_silence wrote:Did you take some inspiration from Mike's works? :roll:
Not really, I've read that when I was almost finished :) This is just a mobile box chamber…
CA_Steve wrote:What's the measurement outside of the chamber?
Slightly over 39. The room is absolutelly silent, as long as I an not deaf. I even took it to countryside to a house with thick walls, another nearest house is at least 30 m, during winter night at about 01:00 in another silent room again 38.8 dBA. I think the chinese toy I got (GM1358) just has very shifted lower treshold. It is very sensitive, but should measure from 30 dBA. I think it is not linearly sensitive, that's the problem. As normal speech should be about 60 dBA and that's where I am. Anyway, as I said, I do not aspire on providing valid absolute value of noise, more like comparing for the time being.