Anyone have any experience with Thermalright Le Grand Macho?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Abula

Anyone have any experience with Thermalright Le Grand Macho?

Post by Abula » Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:34 pm

Just looking for more info into the new offering from thermalright, Le Grand Macho, seems extremely similar to the HR22, but with some slight changes, one less pipe, and brought by fellow spcr forum Shaderr, it has better cooling capabilities in this two reviews,

Xtreme Systems, Thermalright Le Grand Macho
Tomshardware Thermalright Macho Le Grand: passive cooler for high-performance CPUs

Now in my personal testing, the HR22 was slightly better than HR02, but couple of degrees, and so is the SilverArrow IBE was a degree or two better on load at around 1k rpms. But i always though the HR22 should have perform better with its massive size, what i though was there were some diminishing returns into the size, specially not increasing the size of the CPU socket or transfer area, that said i still though it should have perform better, but maybe its more efficient with this new type of pipe arrangement (maybe the placebo effect is dominating me).

That said there are other interesting things coming on it, that draws my attention, there is a new fan coming on it, Thermalright TY-147B according to Nansgaminggear (the 3rd party seller on amazon), no info is available on the official thermalright, but according to him
TY-147B is improved model from TY-147A....low noise and long life. Now you can it with La grand macho only.
Looking for more info on the web, i stumbled on OCN ** Thermlright Le GRAND MACHO is out! **, where it has a picture of the fan, it seems very similar to the TY-147A, but with some openings on the frame of the fan, not sure if this helps with the noise or not, but this is the first i seen with that design,

Would be great if SPCR could get a sample of this fan to see how it impacts noise.

quest_for_silence

Re: Anyone have any experience with Thermalright Le Grand Ma

Post by quest_for_silence » Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:18 pm

Abula wrote:Would be great if SPCR could get a sample of this fan to see how it impacts noise.
Seemingly those openings would look like self defeating for an heatsink fan, as they likely reduce the static pressure.
BTW, if you're looking at THG reviews, even the Macho Zero seems to be a good, improved performer (and I've seen a german test where the rather cheap Macho Direct - here it costs as much as the Kotetsu, around 35 bucks - challenges the Le Grand Macho using a 600rpm fan).

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:35 pm

Abula wrote:That said there are other interesting things coming on it, that draws my attention, there is a new fan coming on it, Thermalright TY-147B according to Nansgaminggear (the 3rd party seller on amazon), no info is available on the official thermalright, but according to him
TY-147B is improved model from TY-147A....low noise and long life. Now you can it with La grand macho only.
Looking for more info on the web, i stumbled on OCN ** Thermlright Le GRAND MACHO is out! **, where it has a picture of the fan, it seems very similar to the TY-147A, but with some openings on the frame of the fan, not sure if this helps with the noise or not, but this is the first i seen with that design,

Would be great if SPCR could get a sample of this fan to see how it impacts noise.

Thinking twice, the image coming from the Doyll's post wouldn't seem what it pretends to be: the pictured photo might be the TY127 which comes with the TR Macho 120 SBM (look at the blades). Moreover, where does that watermark come from?

Abula

Post by Abula » Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:36 pm

quest_for_silence wrote:Seemingly those openings would look like self defeating for an heatsink fan, as they likely reduce the static pressure.
I kinda think its backwards, it help pull air in, either way would be intersting to see SPCR get a hold of some samples to see how it performs noise wise.

The picture came from the OCN thread posted above. Im not sure if thats how the TY14B is, maybe its different.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:29 am

Abula wrote:I kinda think its backwards, it help pull air in

Why, according to you? They are under the blade plane/line.

Vicotnik
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Vicotnik » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:44 am

It would depend on the resistance I think. With the fan laying flat on a table the air would rush out of the slits, but maybe with a low resistance heatsink the low air pressure behind the fan would turn the slits into intakes.
I would love to see some testing with smoke to see where the air goes. :)

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:02 am

Vicotnik wrote:I would love to see some testing with smoke to see where the air goes. :)
Providing it actually exists: I saw it just here. :mrgreen:

Mr Evil

Post by Mr Evil » Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:47 am

quest_for_silence wrote:
Abula wrote:I kinda think its backwards, it help pull air in

Why, according to you? They are under the blade plane/line.
It's possible that they could suck in air due to the Venturi effect.

continuum
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by continuum » Wed May 11, 2016 10:07 am

Hoping for a SPCR review here, too!

lb_felipe

Post by lb_felipe » Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:50 pm