GameMi v2, FT05 + GTX980ti SLI

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Abula

GameMi v2, FT05 + GTX980ti SLI

Post by Abula » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:16 am

Just a small update, finally the FT05 arrived and i moved the GameMi to it, if you wish to see more about it check Fractal Design Define R4 build.

Components
CASE: Silverstone FT05S (Silver)
CASE FANS: 2x Silverstone AP182 + 1x Prolimatech Ultra Sleek Vortex 12
PSU: SeaSonic Platinum SS-860XP2
MOBO: MSI Z87-GD65 GAMING
MEMORY: Crucial Ballistix Sport Very Low Profile 32GB Kit
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E
CPU FAN: 3x Prolimatech Ultra Sleek Vortex 14
GPU: 2x ASUS GTX970 STRIX
AUDIO: HT OMEGA eCLARO
SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 512GB
HDD: WD Red 3TB - WD30EFRX
PWM Fan Splitter: Circotech 4pin PWM Fan Splitter
Perifericals: Logitech MX 518 + Logitech G13 + Logitech G710+
Monitor: Acer B326HK 32-inch IPS UHD 4K (3840 x 2160) LED-Lit Monitor

I did do some small changes beside the monitor and the sli, like swaping the Hitachi 7k1000 2.5 hdd for a WD 3tb Red mostly because of the space on the back is limited for CM. I also swaped the stock AP181 for the AP182 that allow much lower rpms controlled by the bios, you can read more on Taming the beast, Silverstone AP182. Changed the CPU cooler fans to Prolimatech mostly because of the orientation of the case, i wanted full ball bearing fans as the AP182 are, you can see more testing on Prolimatech Ultra Sleek Vortex 12 & 14. What took most of the time was swapping the fans.... its not that hard, but it does take some time to take the knobs out and install them on the FT05, and working inside is a little rough, much harder than on the R4, there is very little effort from Silverstone into adding the user with the cable management.

The build is inaudible @3ft, at 1am with almost no background noise, haven't stress tested it, but seems to be idling a little better than the Fractal Design Define R4. I gotta play with the knobs of the AP182 to establish the highest rpms i can run the fans without hearing them, but i run out of time this weekend =(. I did some very brief gaming to test, nothing demanding, just playing LOL at 4k for an hour, and here are temps,

I still have to do some testing and really work on the cable management on the back.... the only complaint i have about the case is there is little space to do all the CM, but its not that bad, just i feel they could have given us an extra 5mm and more hooks, would make it much easier.

I still also have to do some stress testing to see if there are gains over the R4, if i manage to get some spare time in the next weeks i'll try to post some, but really busy atm.

Thanks for taking the time and looking at my current rig, if you have any questions let me know, ill try to answers them as best as i can.
Last edited by Abula on Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:21 am, edited 5 times in total.

Cistron

Re: GameMi v2, FT05 + GTX970 SLI

Post by Cistron » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:24 am

Wow, so jealous.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:30 am

Thanks for the inspiration mate! :D

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:52 am

Btw, I'd try the Prolimatech Static Booster for the CPU central fan.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:53 am

Very pretty.

Is the CPU cooler overhanging the first PCIe x 16 slot causing you to use the further two slots for the GTX cards?

Abula

Post by Abula » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:06 am

quest_for_silence wrote:Btw, I'd try the Prolimatech Static Booster for the CPU central fan.
Very interesting add on.... i might try it.... but it would mean to take out the motherboard, the right side of the cooler is not accesible, specially the bottom. I kinda wish i would have know about it before.... so much pain to re take the motherboard out.
CA_Steve wrote:Is the CPU cooler overhanging the first PCIe x 16 slot causing you to use the further two slots for the GTX cards?
No, the SA IBE is asymmetrical measuring exactly 70mm toward the left of the cpu socket, that by most standards never overlaps the first PCIe slot, on my motherboard as with your G45, the first 16X PCIe is the 2nd from top to bottom, the first PCIe is a 1x, and in the case where the HT Omega eClaro is located.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:05 am

Some kind of optical illusion for me then as the third PCIe x16 isn't visible..or maybe I just need more coffee :) I was wondering why you didn't opt to use the first and third PCIe x16's for more separation/airflow? Is something else blocking this? Or, maybe you are and these cards are just a lot frigging wider than I thought.

Abula

Post by Abula » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:28 am

CA_Steve wrote:Some kind of optical illusion for me then as the third PCIe x16 isn't visible..or maybe I just need more coffee :) I was wondering why you didn't opt to use the first and third PCIe x16's for more separation/airflow? Is something else blocking this? Or, maybe you are and these cards are just a lot frigging wider than I thought.
Yes, somewhat the angle of the picture as it covers it. But you can see the case PCI covers/opening, where you can see the 4th and 7th still have the black perforated covers with the holes.

Crhis

Post by Crhis » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:10 pm

Thanks for the info. I have some AP182s and a whole bunch of cable ties on the way to help tidy up my FT05, I'll post pictures of my own when it's all done.

aerial

Post by aerial » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:03 am

From my experience, after using FT02, issue with those type of cases is, that if you set bottom 180mm fans to low rpm (not case stock switch low, but actually minimum with analog fan controller), then the airflow they generate is pretty insignificant. They still put fresh air into the case, that is true, but there is very little advantage of 90 degree orientation. You practically can't feel the air coming through the top of the case, aside from natural convection.
After moving from FT02 to standard atx layout, I actually get slightly better temps..
Of course, if you crank up the 180's, then this case offers great performance, as you can feel the air blowing through the top of the case. But if fans are set to bare minimum, their starting speed, it doesn't work that well.

Abula

Post by Abula » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:20 pm

quest_for_silence wrote:Btw, I'd try the Prolimatech Static Booster for the CPU central fan.
You temp me too much my friend, luckily the booster arrived Friday =), and i also re did the CM, didn't like the GPU power on the bottom, and did it kinda like how i did on my TJ08-E, and routed better a lot of cables, used the hdd space to hide some and these are the end results,

[imghttp://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img537/5044/jy45L7.png[/img]

aerial wrote:From my experience, after using FT02, issue with those type of cases is, that if you set bottom 180mm fans to low rpm (not case stock switch low, but actually minimum with analog fan controller), then the airflow they generate is pretty insignificant. They still put fresh air into the case, that is true, but there is very little advantage of 90 degree orientation. You practically can't feel the air coming through the top of the case, aside from natural convection.
After moving from FT02 to standard atx layout, I actually get slightly better temps..
Of course, if you crank up the 180's, then this case offers great performance, as you can feel the air blowing through the top of the case. But if fans are set to bare minimum, their starting speed, it doesn't work that well.
Ill do some stress testing later on, from my experience the TJ08-E had much better temps than my R4, will see if FT05 beats the R4 under low rpms or similar.
Last edited by Abula on Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

aerial

Post by aerial » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:58 am

I did own TJ08-E some time ago, and had similar issue. If the 180mm front fan was tuned down to absolute minium rpm (below starting speed, with fan control panel), then there was pocket of hot air above gpu (between gpu and psu). Nearly all the cool air that was coming through front, was channeled through cpu, because of extra fans there, directing air through the back of the case. While above the graphic card, there was very little to no air movement. It was with aftermarket gpu cooling, not blower style reference cooler.

Of course if I increased the 180mm RPM, if was blowing air through entire case and temps were very good. But noise level wasn't. Overall very tricky case to make quiet, because of that huge fan intake at the front.

Unhedged

Post by Unhedged » Tue May 26, 2015 7:48 am

Is there a reason why you decided to go with the Prolimatech fans instead of the stock Silver Arrow IB-E ones? also, what made you choose the IB-E over say, the NH-D15?

Abula

Post by Abula » Tue May 26, 2015 8:47 am

Unhedged wrote:Is there a reason why you decided to go with the Prolimatech fans instead of the stock Silver Arrow IB-E ones?
I wanted real ball bearings for the horizontal placement and pwm so i could control them with the MSI BIOS. The included TY143 are fine fans, but i like more the TY147, so was either to get some TY147 or Prolimatech Ultra Slim Vortex14 or Noctua NF-P14 Redux PWM, at the end decided toward the prolimatech for the ball bearings and that they can be lowered a little more than thermalright.
Unhedged wrote:what made you choose the IB-E over say, the NH-D15?
The NH-D15 is not asymmetrical as the IB-E, thus taking the first PCIe slot, in my build, i have there the Omega eClaro (check the diagram a couple of posts above), with the NH-D15 i would not been able to do this.

Unhedged

Post by Unhedged » Tue May 26, 2015 12:11 pm

Abula wrote:
Unhedged wrote:Is there a reason why you decided to go with the Prolimatech fans instead of the stock Silver Arrow IB-E ones?
I wanted real ball bearings for the horizontal placement and pwm so i could control them with the MSI BIOS. The included TY143 are fine fans, but i like more the TY147, so was either to get some TY147 or Prolimatech Ultra Slim Vortex14 or Noctua NF-P14 Redux PWM, at the end decided toward the prolimatech for the ball bearings and that they can be lowered a little more than thermalright.
Unhedged wrote:what made you choose the IB-E over say, the NH-D15?
The NH-D15 is not asymmetrical as the IB-E, thus taking the first PCIe slot, in my build, i have there the Omega eClaro (check the diagram a couple of posts above), with the NH-D15 i would not been able to do this.
Thanks for the quick response :)

I'm planning a build with the FT05 so I'm researching which components would be optimal. It will be X99-based (undecided yet if 5820k or 5930k, depends if I go for GTX 980 or 2x970), and I'll probably replace the AP181s with AP182s like you did.

Boffinboy

Post by Boffinboy » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:38 am

Sorry for the bump, but I am really interested in how this compares to the Fractal? I have an FT-02 which I am looking to downsize, and deciding whether going for an FT05 over a cheaper case is worth it.

I would likely running in SLI, but am also considering cards with closed loop coolers and sitting the rads on top of the 180mm fans. I am not sure whether a different mid-size case would suit that better though - I want a very sedate look, but it would ideally then need to have two 120mm exhaust slots that could fit the graphics cards' clc radiators.

I have a Noctua D15 as my CPU cooler.

Abula

Post by Abula » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:20 pm

Sorry for the late reply but i didnt see it till today.
Boffinboy wrote:Sorry for the bump, but I am really interested in how this compares to the Fractal? I have an FT-02 which I am looking to downsize, and deciding whether going for an FT05 over a cheaper case is worth it.
The Fractal R4/R5 is bigger than FT05, but imo the fractal is quieter case. I would recommend you read the SPCR guides, Quiet ATX Gamer and Quiet SLI Gaming PC Build Guide, both should give you a good idea into what will work better for you. If you still have second troughs, my recommendation is simple, single gpu go for the R5 and SLI go for the FT05.
Boffinboy wrote:I would likely running in SLI, but am also considering cards with closed loop coolers and sitting the rads on top of the 180mm fans. I am not sure whether a different mid-size case would suit that better though - I want a very sedate look, but it would ideally then need to have two 120mm exhaust slots that could fit the graphics cards' clc radiators.
I would consider the phantek cases as good option if you want to go with rads.

The MSI GTX980Ti Gaming arrived, and my suspicion were correct, its quieter than the Asus GTX970 on load, at least i cant notice them while gaming D3.

Image Image

As a side note, the GPUs are not loaded really into what they can reach, so i expect im going to need to increase the case fans on demanding games.
Last edited by Abula on Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

Boffinboy

Re: GameMi v2, FT05 + GTX980ti SLI

Post by Boffinboy » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:21 am

Thank you for this. Interesting that you find the new cards quieter. I am considering either the MSI Gaming 980Ti or the Asus DC3 OC Strix. I assume the Strix will be a bit quieter than your old dual-fan 970s from Asus.

I don't think I will go SLI this time, so the Asus backplate and slightly higher stock clocks are making me lean towards that.

Abula

Post by Abula » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:27 am

Boffinboy wrote:Thank you for this. Interesting that you find the new cards quieter. I am considering either the MSI Gaming 980Ti or the Asus DC3 OC Strix. I assume the Strix will be a bit quieter than your old dual-fan 970s from Asus.

I don't think I will go SLI this time, so the Asus backplate and slightly higher stock clocks are making me lean towards that.
The Asus could be quiter i think, its more when it passes above 2k becomes like a jet engine, at least in the FT05 that has the opening on the top and i kinda have it lowered from my desk so its more noticeble. But i do think if you can keep it below 2k it should be decent, im not a big fan to mess with afterburner, kinda odd for me as i love to test fanxpert and bios fan controls... but that the way it is. Now remember for me the first card always, as with most SLIs, its warmer by 5-10C, so in a none SLI it could be fine with the Asus, so i think you should be fine with either on a none SLI setup.

And if by any reason you still don't like the sound/noise on either card, the Prolimatech MK-26 can handle any GPU in the market, and you chose your own fans.

Boffinboy

Post by Boffinboy » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:46 am

Thank you for the advice!

Abula

Post by Abula » Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:32 pm

Very small update... well a downgrade, with the GTX1080 in the horizon, and a friend wanting a GTX980Ti i decided to part from one, and also in my usual games like LOL and D3 the noise was fine, much better than the Asus GTX970 Strix, but playing more demanding games started to get noisy, so SLI wasnt cutting it, so i took the first chance i had to lose $100 on one of the cards and go back to quiet gaming. In the change i decided that i had space for the all mighty and considered by many to be the best GPU cooler of all time, the Prolimatech MK26.

Dissembling the MSI GTX980Ti, is fairly easy, you simply remove 4 screws on the back and the cooler comes off, you can see in the picture there is no need to remove the frontal nor the back plate, the MK26 fits with it making it much eaiser and safer since you use the the same cooling to keep the VRM and memory cooling.

Some more pics into how massive is the MK26 compared to the Twin Frozr IV.

I ran some test with FanXpert3 on MSI Twin Frozr cooler and on the prolimatech ultra sleek vortex 14 fans,

Sadly i couldn't do the upgrade during the day to get better pictures, but here are some already put in the FT05,

Now to the performance, I ran Unheaven 4.0 before upgrading it and then i ran the same benchmark with the upgrade, both on 30C ambient.

Overall its an upgrade, 5C cooler and much quieter, the Prolimatech fans at 1k rpms are very quiet compared to the MSI at 2k rpms, that said, i did expected to run cooler, but i also heard in the past that MK26 isnt that good on the vertical orientation of the FT05. Im also glad to report that the current cards can be controlled fine with vbios, in the past i had issues with Accelero III and somewhat fixed on IV but not fully, i attributed it to something was different on the PWM design of the vbios of the video card, but this gen works pretty well, the MSI card can run fine the prolimatech fans in their full range without any issues. Weather its a worth upgrade its up to each person, for me it was in terms of a quieter setup, that said i expected to run cooler for its size and price.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:22 am

So, what's the dominant noise source now while gaming?

Abula

Post by Abula » Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:35 pm

CA_Steve wrote:So, what's the dominant noise source now while gaming?
Well from my limited experience, only a couple of hours yesterday after finishing the card upgrade, nothing stands atm, at 2 meters where my case is placed, i cant hear anything yet. My guess is it will be the AP182s, but for this to happen the CPU has to go over 70C, temp where the AP182 are ramp over 700rpms, but will see, atm i gamed very little, practically a couple of LOL games and i didn't hear at all, but will see in three weeks, when i return home, to test other games.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:36 pm

So, you did the mod and then immediately left town? Dude!

Shaderr

Post by Shaderr » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:07 am

Thanks. Very interesting mod. Vrm temperatures as good as on stock msi cooler? Maybe with two ty-147a temperatures will be better. From coolingtechniqe review ty-147a fans better noise/airflow ratio and better static pressure, than vortex 14

[Mod: fixed links.]

lb_felipe

Post by lb_felipe » Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:12 pm

Thank you, Abula.

I was waiting for that.

What do you think of two Noctua NF-P14s in standard case with that graphics card and that cooler? I mind those because they have better PWM ticky noise (IC used by Noctua). I do know whether standard orientation makes those Noctua sound bad, so what can you say?

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:16 am

Shaderr wrote:Maybe with two ty-147a temperatures will be better.

It may or it may not, as you can't take into account actual parasitic/side leakings in such a scenario.

Shaderr wrote:better noise/airflow ratio

CT noise related measures are somehow problematic, particularly in order to compare to SPCR ones, as well as their recorded figures (just for instance, check the Grand Flex outcome and compare it to the relevant SPCR review).

Abula

Post by Abula » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:42 am

CA_Steve wrote:So, you did the mod and then immediately left town? Dude!
Yea ='(, thats my life, as when i visit you.... i spend most of my time outside home. Right now im two weeks in honduras, to return to home for three days then going to Richmond Virginia for a week.... and then a week back home then another two in honduras.... then im going to LA for a week or so... that how life is atm ='(.
Shaderr wrote:Thanks. Very interesting mod. Vrm temperatures as good as on stock msi cooler? Maybe with two ty-147a temperatures will be better. From coolingtechniqe review ty-147a fans better noise/airflow ratio and better static pressure, than vortex 14

[Mod: fixed links.]
lb_felipe wrote:Thank you, Abula.

I was waiting for that.

What do you think of two Noctua NF-P14s in standard case with that graphics card and that cooler? I mind those because they have better PWM ticky noise (IC used by Noctua). I do know whether standard orientation makes those Noctua sound bad, so what can you say?
To both, im going to do some testing on the test bench soon, not sure when, as i cant tell when i would have the time to sit with it, and im still trying to calibrate the microphone to be able to measure DB vs Temperature on each fan, my idea is to test most of the 140mm fans (120 mounts) that are fairly common in the coolers that we buy or are good fans that most recommend as good options like

Noctua NF-A15 PWM 1200
Notcua NF-P14r PWM 1500
Thermalright TY-147A
Prolimatech Ultra Sleek vorted 14 (with and without the static preassure addon).
Phanteks PH-F140HP_BK2

And this are the one that i might get very soon to compare also)
Thermalright TY-147B
Fractal Design Venturi HP-14 PWM
Fractal Design Venturi HF-14 PWM

But dont expect it too soon, im still having issues with the calibration and learning the software.

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:13 pm

Abula wrote:...Thermalright TY-147B...
I suspect that this is actually an all black version of the TY-147A, that is currently fitted to some of the newer Thermalright coolers such as the Macho Direct (see image below, source Thermalright). The spec is the same as the TY-147A. But it is currently being described as a TY-140 Black which is not right as the TY-140 is a nominal 900 to 1300 speed fan.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:57 am

lodestar wrote:
Abula wrote:...Thermalright TY-147B...
I suspect that this is actually an all black version of the TY-147A
No, it isn't.