PII heatsink=hard drive heatsink.

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

PII heatsink=hard drive heatsink.

Post by Bluefront » Sat Dec 13, 2003 6:34 am

So I found several PII heatsinks (these are slot one types, rather large pin fins). They look like they would make good HD heatsinks, attached to the top of the drive.

Now I don't want to permanently attach the things and I have no mounting hardware for them. So how to do it? Perhaps some thermal compound with rubber band type straps holding them down? If they make any difference in a low airflow setup I could later attach them with something permanent.

Also would it be worthwhile to remove the label on the drive top....looks like a difficult task, no doubt scratching the aluminum (Maxtor drive).

Winston

Post by Winston » Sat Dec 13, 2003 9:22 am

I've been concidering something similar with my Seagate, so let's hope someone can give a good answer in here. How much effect will this have on the temperature of the harddrive? Is it any point at all?

Harry Azol

Post by Harry Azol » Sat Dec 13, 2003 10:24 am

instead of voiding your warranty by removing the label.. rig up some heatsinks on the sides and mount it in a 5.25" bay instead.. the sides of the hd hotter then the top/bottom as well

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Sat Dec 13, 2003 11:10 am

What warranty are we talking about? :lol: I've already got side heatsinks...the last place for a heatsink on this drive is the top. This is a good-sized area waiting for a heatsink.....

AndrewC

Post by AndrewC » Sat Dec 13, 2003 12:00 pm

If your not worried about voiding your warranty why don't you just use thermal tape. It might be a little messy to take off but it will keep them on there.

pingu666
Friend of SPCR

Post by pingu666 » Tue Dec 16, 2003 6:36 am

i use p2 heatsinks as side sinks 8D