Cerberus - Crowdfunded mATX Case

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Quinnbeast

Cerberus - Crowdfunded mATX Case

Post by Quinnbeast » Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:28 pm

http://imgur.com/a/mnIiE

I've seen this one discussed on one or two of the big tech forums, and it's a little way off release (Nov '16), but it does potentially bring some nice ideas to the table. While it obviously takes a few cues from the success of the NCASE M1, it looks to be a little bigger (mATX) and quite a bit more versatile because of it. I especially like the concept of the venting system used on the front and lower panels - designed to offer either minimal airflow resistance or as a mounting system for fans / HDDs / PSU / radiators etc. There are a few gif files further down that highlight the intended options for the bottom and front mounting system.

I'm not sure if this one has been posted on SPCR, but I thought there might be a few interested parties.

edit - Whoah. Looks like it has gone live on Kickstarter in the last few days. They're asking $249 for the privilege of receiving the finished deal... *whistles*

edh

Re: Cerberus - Crowdfunded mATX Case

Post by edh » Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:45 am

Now everybody is doing a Kickstarter case! I like the effort but I'm not a fan of the optional handle.

I think it is perhaps more based around fitting in big SLI graphics cards and water cooling than silence but the number of 120mm fan mounts is good. Unfortunately as it is only 170mm width it rules out use of the best tower CPU coolers and instead a 92mm fanned version or a top down cooler would be needed. This may be the biggest issue with it for a silent system.

The options to have ATX or SFX PSUs in different places is AFAIK unique for a similar layout but they are not interchangeable. Layout wise it is not hugely dissimilar to the Silverstone SG03 case of my last system if you make use of the ATX PSU mounting. Perhaps it's more like the SG04 with the top mounted handle.

The price is a lot for a small case. I think the fact they've gone for US production means that they will never be able to make it en masse cheaply.

Olaf van der Spek

Post by Olaf van der Spek » Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:50 am

Very interesting.

Why is a company like Lian-Li, Silverstone or Fractal Design not interested in producing such a design?

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:32 am

They might be more interested if it succeeds sales-wise but the initial price is a bit high which may prevent that.

Olaf van der Spek

Post by Olaf van der Spek » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:57 am

I'd swear someone posted here that Lian-Li was being subcontracted for this case..

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:25 am

Olaf van der Spek wrote:I'd swear someone posted here that Lian-Li was being subcontracted for this case..
I believe that's the nCase. Cerberus was supposed to be produced by Sliger Designs in Nevada.