Compact mATX case recommendation?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

catalinr

Compact mATX case recommendation?

Post by catalinr » Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:08 pm

I am looking for a Antec NSK 3480 replacement. I want the same or smaller size (so <25 liters) and same shape (so no ugly cubes).

If they still made it I would buy it. But they don't, so... what else is out there?

Thanks!

mikeb

Re: Compact mATX case recommendation?

Post by mikeb » Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:03 am

RAIJINTEK STYX?

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:27 am

catalinr wrote:...If they still made it I would buy it.
There still seem to be at least some available from retailers for example Overclockers UK or there is always eBay such as this potential source.

ggumdol

Post by ggumdol » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:04 am

You are looking for a chassis whose market segment (non-cubic mATX with <25 liters) is practically being abandoned by manufacturers. Hence there are very few options. You could consider Bitfenix Prodigy M or Phenom M (>>25 but reasonably small) or Raijintek Styx.

I'm satisfied with my Raijintek Styx so far but two gripes of mine are:

(1) The "fifth" PCIE slot seems to be unnecessary, only adding to its volume.
(2) To install a graphics card longer than 28cm, you need to use SFX PSU instead of a standard PSU.

The material feels very sturdy and you can also choose from various colors (e.g., a black one for a bit reticent style).

catalinr wrote:I am looking for a Antec NSK 3480 replacement. I want the same or smaller size (so <25 liters) and same shape (so no ugly cubes).

Olaf van der Spek

Post by Olaf van der Spek » Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:17 am

ggumdol wrote:(1) The "fifth" PCIE slot seems to be unnecessary, only adding to its volume.
It's useful for brackets and for two-slot GPUs in the bottom mATX slot, allowing one free slot in a dual-GPU setup.

boost

Post by boost » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:07 am

Jonsbo RM2 or RM3.

catalinr

Post by catalinr » Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:22 pm

Actually, I am starting to like the Fractal Design 1100 more and more. Good looks, classical layout and slim(er) profile. Opinions?

Vicotnik
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Vicotnik » Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:12 pm

Fractal Design Core 1100 is the best cheap case I've used. But it is a cheap one. The Antec NSK 3480 is much more solid. That said, if it's a simple system it will do the job.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:04 pm

catalinr wrote:Actually, I am starting to like the Fractal Design 1100 more and more. Good looks, classical layout and slim(er) profile. Opinions?

Limited use, due to 92mm fan, somehow limited CPU cooler clearance (for the vast majority of quiet tower coolers), and top mounted PSU against a solid panel. It sports just one stock fan, so it offers a rather limited airflow.

The 27 litres Aerocool QS-200/ACE Ecco 250 are more flexible (albeit they're still cheaply built, and probably not easily sourceable: with reference to availability, the more recent Cougar MG100/Spike is a somehow similar design).

Talking about Fractal Design, their 32 litres Core 1300 is more flexible than the 1100, as probably even the similarly sized (34 litres? Check) CM Silencio 352 / N200 (which sport rather bad sounding fan, OTOH). In the same "league" there's the Corsair 88R/Spec-03 (about 33 litres) and the Aerocool QS-240 (about 32 litres).

You might browse NewEgg's offering, whether you were looking for some inspiration.

Olaf van der Spek

Post by Olaf van der Spek » Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:33 pm

quest_for_silence wrote:
catalinr wrote:Actually, I am starting to like the Fractal Design 1100 more and more. Good looks, classical layout and slim(er) profile. Opinions?

Limited use, due to 92mm fan, somehow limited CPU cooler clearance (for the vast majority of quiet tower coolers), and top mounted PSU against a solid panel. It sports just one stock fan, so it offers a rather limited airflow.
For some systems, 0, 1 or 2 case fans is enough..

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:13 pm

Olaf van der Spek wrote:
quest_for_silence wrote:

Limited use...
For some systems, 0, 1 or 2 case fans is enough..
Limited use...

Olaf van der Spek

Post by Olaf van der Spek » Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:27 am

Isn't everything by definition?

No case is perfect.

pony-tail

Post by pony-tail » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:11 pm

You really do not need 4 or 5 120mm fans to cool most P.C.s
A single 120 mm case fan ( plus the internal cpu and graphics card fans if used ) can cool a pretty decent machine if it is laid out correctly .
That though only works in a negative pressure setup - at the expense of dust . The alternative is positive pressure and requires an intake fan usually front mounted most often accompanied by an exhaust fan ( of less capacity ) Plus the usual cpu and video fans .
This sucks in less dust at the expense of noise !
unless you are overclocking the c### out of the machine that should be sufficient .
I have not as yet found a nice quiet small uATX case for an air cooled build .