Silent mATX build?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Kobold
Patron of SPCR

Re: Silent mATX build?

Post by Kobold » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:26 am

Final Config:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500
Cooler: Sycthe Kosetsu
GPU: Use old Powercolor Radeon R9 270 SCS3 while waiting for Pascal.
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB
HDD: WD20EZRZ 2 TB
RAM: 2x8 GB Kingston DDR2133-13 Savage
PSU: Be Quiet Straight power 10 500W
Mobo: Asus H170 Pro Gaming
Case: Corsair Carbide 400Q
Fans: 1 x Noctua NF-P14s redux-900 (140 mm front), 1 x Scythe Slipstream 800 rpm (120 mm back)

First impression: Holy cow, the HDD is loud in this (still open) case, makes a loud wooshing sound, i actually thought it to be the cpu fan until I just stopped it by hand and then realized it was the HDD. Will have to do sth. about it, figure out whether there is some resonance. (Ok Just plugged in a WD20EARS instead, also quite audible, but not as annoying in frequency spectrum)
I am also not totally sure about the Noctua, it seems to emit a hollow buzzing noise, whereas from the Slipstream I just get the usual air woosh.
The Carbide 400Q is also NOT a P182 regarding build quality :D (of course the Antec was more expensive :D)
Case looks rather empty... was to be expected, though (see pic).

However, I have not even installed an OS yet, and everything is still wide open and just put in. Will tell some more in a few days I guess.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Abula

Post by Abula » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:43 pm

Kobold wrote:Final Config:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500
Cooler: Sycthe Kosetsu
GPU: Use old Powercolor Radeon R9 270 SCS3 while waiting for Pascal.
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB
HDD: WD20EZRZ 2 TB
RAM: 2x8 GB Kingston DDR2133-13 Savage
PSU: Be Quiet Straight power 10 500W
Mobo: Asus H170 Pro Gaming
Case: Corsair Carbide 400Q
Fans: 1 x Noctua NF-P14s redux-900 (140 mm front), 1 x Scythe Slipstream 800 rpm (120 mm back)

First impression: Holy cow, the HDD is loud in this (still open) case, makes a loud wooshing sound, i actually thought it to be the cpu fan until I just stopped it by hand and then realized it was the HDD. Will have to do sth. about it, figure out whether there is some resonance. (Ok Just plugged in a WD20EARS instead, also quite audible, but not as annoying in frequency spectrum)
I am also not totally sure about the Noctua, it seems to emit a hollow buzzing noise, whereas from the Slipstream I just get the usual air woosh.
The Carbide 400Q is also NOT a P182 regarding build quality :D (of course the Antec was more expensive :D)
Case looks rather empty... was to be expected, though (see pic).

However, I have not even installed an OS yet, and everything is still wide open and just put in. Will tell some more in a few days I guess.
Have you tried the Q Fan Tuning in the bios? what numbers did the noctua fans reach? and the Glidestream on the Kotetsu? and what bios are you running?

Kobold
Patron of SPCR

Post by Kobold » Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:25 pm

Bios is now the newest one from Asus.

Q-Fan crashes in the Bios with four fans installed :D Anyways, previously without the fan on the GPU for the Noctua: 67% starting (which seems way to much), for the Glidestream 24%, the Splistream I think 42% (800 rpm full).

From the AI-Suite same results but without the crashing ;)

Still experimenting so more later :D

Abula

Post by Abula » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:10 pm

Kobold wrote:Bios is now the newest one from Asus.
Well im also with the newest 0703.
Kobold wrote:Q-Fan crashes in the Bios with four fans installed :D
I also have crashed sometimes trying to places some values, other times i the qfan tuning doesnt stick on the bios and the lower limits are not reachable, other times it doesn't understand the low readings from noctua fans and when i move the graphs the bios crashes, other times that the reading sticks, the saving doesnt.... kinda buggy atm, sad thing is i played wiht 0403 for couple of hours and even though i didnt mess a lot with it, didnt seem that unstable, as a matter of fact i got accurate reading, same as fanXpert. I have since open a ticket with Asus customer support, red is me, blue is asus cm.
Bios fan control cant retain the values stablished by Q-Fan tuning, i cant overide the
bios limits because bios 0703 is not able to recognize the min values that the fans
can reach, for example Noctua NF-P14r PWM can reach 14% and Qfan tuning also
reaches that, but once you go into the bios to see the values, im stuck at 60% again,
this was not happening on 0403, something was changed that its not allowing this
function to work correctly, in some cases i get resets if i touch the graph manually.

Thank you for contacting ASUS Technical Support.
I apologize for the inconvenience caused and I will do my best to help you in this regard.
I understand that you are having issues with our latest BIOS version.
We always appreciate customers who take time to give us their feedback. I'll pass what you've said onto our management team.
In this case, I suggest you to kindly downgrade your BIOS to previous version. Hopefully this issue, will be fixed in the upcoming version.
If you need further assistance from our end, please feel free to contact us.
It would help if you also do a report, so they can see its more than one person having the bios issues. I honestly think they are on the right track but they mess it up along the updates, but i dont have high hopes since i have had issues with their personel not being helpful, you can see my past suggestion to asus in this thread, ASUS Bios fan control request
Kobold wrote:Anyways, previously without the fan on the GPU for the Noctua: 67% starting (which seems way to much), for the Glidestream 24%, the Splistream I think 42% (800 rpm full).
Thanks for the values. The noctua is way to high, you should check in the bios if the Qfan is set to PWM or DC on this header particularly.
Kobold wrote:From the AI-Suite same results but without the crashing ;)
This is the main reason i still recommend Asus mobos, as their FanXpert works really well.

Kobold
Patron of SPCR

Post by Kobold » Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:52 am

Will also open a ticket with Asus.

However, the Noctua really does not seem to start below 60 % in Ai Suite. Cannot test this in Bios, because it does not allow me to go below starting speed (how do I get rid of this "feature"?). Header is set to DC.

What I also don't get why non of this software is able to use a high starting speed and then lower the fan to the wanted level.

Best

Daniel

Abula

Post by Abula » Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:46 pm

Kobold wrote:Will also open a ticket with Asus.
Thanks, hope once asus see more complaining they test it and fix it, as it looks pretty good, just its buggy atm.
Kobold wrote:However, the Noctua really does not seem to start below 60 % in Ai Suite. Cannot test this in Bios, because it does not allow me to go below starting speed (how do I get rid of this "feature"?). Header is set to DC.

What I also don't get why non of this software is able to use a high starting speed and then lower the fan to the wanted level.
Sadly im not home anymore to help with screenshot, but ill try to tell you what to do and see if that works out.

1) Open the AI Suite (blue icon on your task bar)
2) Click the left red tab, it will open all the AI Suite software you have installed, it should show FANXPERT
3) Click on fanXpert
4) Look for a button called Tuning, it should be mid screen on the left, and click it.
5) It will warn you that its going to test stuff, click yes.
6) wait for the test to finish, and click close or finish (i dont remember the exact word).
7) in the middle of the screen you can see all the fans, you can move by click on the next one or with the little oooo on the middle. go to the Noctua and print screen it and uploaded it, i want to see how it is on your side.

This is how it should be, remember this is fanXpert2, not 3.

When i get home (probably two and half weeks) i can run the NF-P14S REDUX 900 on the Asus H170 Pro Gaming and post you the exact graph you should have, but in the mean time, post me yours.

Kobold
Patron of SPCR

Post by Kobold » Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:24 am

Sorry for the long silence guys,

second child arriving, lots of work, first child sick... and so on, anyway I actually did some preliminary tests weeks ago ending up with 54 °C CPU temps under load and something like 75°C GPU. Still without the front panel though. I hope to have more time for that the next few weeks, as this system is still not yet in usage.

I was just wondering if Realtemp is still the utility to go for the modern Intel processors?

Best

Daniel

Abula

Post by Abula » Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:11 am

Kobold wrote:Sorry for the long silence guys,

second child arriving, lots of work, first child sick... and so on, anyway I actually did some preliminary tests weeks ago ending up with 54 °C CPU temps under load and something like 75°C GPU. Still without the front panel though. I hope to have more time for that the next few weeks, as this system is still not yet in usage.
Congrats on the newborn, hope you son gets better.
Kobold wrote:I was just wondering if Realtemp is still the utility to go for the modern Intel processors?
I think it is still relevant, that said i never been a big fan of it, i like more CoreTemp for minimalistic CPU cores monitoring. But im more into a all in one, and while Aida64 and HWinfo have tons, i like more the like and use of HWmonitor, this is what i used on the daily basis. But CoreTemp + GPUz would be my minimialistic monitoring preference if i were to to drop hwmonitor.

Kobold
Patron of SPCR

Post by Kobold » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:07 am

I am now waiting for Prices on GTX 1060 to come down a bit in Germany. New graphics Card will likely be a MSI GTX 1060 Gaming (not X), however 330 € is to darn expensive IMO.

Had some time today to do some testing on the system today (still with front panel removed, case is otherwise closed). System is nearly inaudible on load, the exact noise source needs to be determined but probably either HDD or air woosh from fans.
Else, I am really happy with temps (theres plenty of headroom if I need more silence):

Pics are:
1) After 10 minutes of Prime95 + Furmark
10minutes_TT.jpg
2) After 45 Minutes of Prime95 + Furmark (CPUs level off around 50 °C, the GPU at 75°C)
45minutes_TT.jpg
3) After 50 Minutes (Prime and Furmark off for 5 Minutes), CPU Idle temps are really good at around ambient (I was actually afraid that I attached the cooler to tight, but everything seems fine)
50minutes_TT.jpg
To make the airflow from the front to back more deterministic I blocked of the parts of the Cage where no fan is installed using 2mm silicone Sheets and magnets to attach them. Will likely use those also in other places in the case (backside...)
DSC05260.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.