Quiet cooler for Socket 479?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Fire-Flare

Quiet cooler for Socket 479?

Post by Fire-Flare » Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:57 pm

Yeah, it's an older socket, but I've come across a Pentium M board that I want to use in a retro setup without using its 40mm screamer.

Any of you know another cooler that might fit on its 4 mounting holes?

quest_for_silence

Re: Quiet cooler for Socket 479?

Post by quest_for_silence » Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:41 pm

IIRC any OLD (I'm not aware of any contemporary cooler with such a compatibility) 478 (P4) cooler should fit.

edh

Post by edh » Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:19 am

Socket 479 is different from Socket 478. I'm not entirely sure that a Socket 478 cooler would fit Socket 479 as it is an unusual socket to be replacing a cooler on as they were predominately found in laptops. Googling does show some motherboards with 4 hole mounting CPU coolers.

What is the hole spacing on Socket 479? If you have the motherboard you can check this and we might then be able to confirm more. There are mods that are possible to fit a cooler to a different socket. It is just a set of mounting holes afterall and with a bit of reengineering you may be able to find a solution. For example I have a Dell Socket 775 CPU cooler cable tied to a Geforce FX.

Fire-Flare

Post by Fire-Flare » Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:57 am

edh wrote:Socket 479 is different from Socket 478. I'm not entirely sure that a Socket 478 cooler would fit Socket 479 as it is an unusual socket to be replacing a cooler on as they were predominately found in laptops. Googling does show some motherboards with 4 hole mounting CPU coolers.

What is the hole spacing on Socket 479? If you have the motherboard you can check this and we might then be able to confirm more. There are mods that are possible to fit a cooler to a different socket. It is just a set of mounting holes afterall and with a bit of reengineering you may be able to find a solution. For example I have a Dell Socket 775 CPU cooler cable tied to a Geforce FX.
Indeed it is an unusual socket, but it is the only board I could find that supports Windows 10 and dual 5.25" floppy drives.

Intel's generic drawing in their Socket 479 PDF says the spacing is 41 units (I assume millimeters) and that matches my measurements.

boost

Post by boost » Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:28 am

How a bout a (used) Northbridge cooler? They were pretty common back when nvidia still made chipsets, I don't now if they're still available new. They should have the proper mounting hole distance, most used two push pins for installation. If I remember correctly I used a cooler like that in a S478 system. I think it was a Thermalright HR-05, which was the best Northbridge cooler available, if I recall correctly.
Maybe you could modify an Arctic Cooling S2/S3 or fashion a bracket for it and cool the system passively?
You could also try a used full copper 1U/2U cooler for an older socket like 771 with an appropriate fan of your choosing. You can easily drill your own mounting holes, the copper is very soft, and they have no heatpipes to drill into. Tall components around the socket might be in the way, socket 771 is a lot bigger than 41x41mm.

Fire-Flare

Post by Fire-Flare » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:29 am

boost wrote:How a bout a (used) Northbridge cooler? They were pretty common back when nvidia still made chipsets, I don't now if they're still available new. They should have the proper mounting hole distance, most used two push pins for installation. If I remember correctly I used a cooler like that in a S478 system. I think it was a Thermalright HR-05, which was the best Northbridge cooler available, if I recall correctly.
Maybe you could modify an Arctic Cooling S2/S3 or fashion a bracket for it and cool the system passively?
You could also try a used full copper 1U/2U cooler for an older socket like 771 with an appropriate fan of your choosing. You can easily drill your own mounting holes, the copper is very soft, and they have no heatpipes to drill into. Tall components around the socket might be in the way, socket 771 is a lot bigger than 41x41mm.
I actually have the SLI version of that Thermalright cooler, but it's too tall for the case I want to use.

And the space around the CPU socket is rather cramped, I don't think the S2 or S3 will work, nor a 771 cooler.

I did, however, pin an Enzotech CNB-S1 onto the CPU, and laid a 120mm fan across the entire ITX board which gave me a 3c improvement in CPU temperature over the stock cooler.