Which one "pulls" more air: NF-S12A or NF-F12? Or else?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

silentbobbo

Which one "pulls" more air: NF-S12A or NF-F12? Or else?

Post by silentbobbo » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:39 pm

I need a fan that pulls away as much air as possible and from "as far away" in the case as possible. I do not care about what happens to the air once it has been expelled from the case. I also have a preference for Noctuas, so I should choose between the NF-S12A PWM and NF-F12 PWM.

The NF-S12A is the one recommended as a case fan, while the NF-F12 is meant to be used in combination with heatsinks.

The stated airflow of the NF-S12A is 107,5 m³/h vs 93,4 for the NF-F12. Not a big difference. Or is it?

On the other hand, the static pressure for the NF-F12 is 2,61, more than twice that of NF-S12A, 1,19 mm H₂O.

For my use case (pulling away air), do I need more airflow or static pressure?

Or are there other (non Noctua) fans optimized for this use case?

quest_for_silence

Re: Which one "pulls" more air: NF-S12A or NF-F12? Or else?

Post by quest_for_silence » Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:18 am

At what speed will you run that exhaust fan?

silentbobbo

Post by silentbobbo » Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:21 am

quest_for_silence wrote:At what speed will you run that exhaust fan?
Hard to say without having the fans at hand. I'd say from less than half the speed to the maximum speed. For those fans it is 600 to 1200 rpm.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:55 am

silentbobbo wrote:
quest_for_silence wrote:At what speed will you run that exhaust fan?
Hard to say without having the fans at hand
Rephrasing, at which speed do you USUALLY run your case fans? Or don't you run any case fan at the moment?

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:34 am

I run the NF-S12A PWM as an exhaust fan. If I set it to 100% duty cycle the reported speed is 1230 rpm, spec is 1200 rpm. I also have the NF-F12 PWM as a CPU fan, and if it set to 100% duty cycle the reported speed in 1490. Which is not surprising as it specified to run at 1500 rpm. So in terms of wanting to exhaust more air the NF-F12 would be the obvious choice simply because of its higher rpm. I could get the NF-F12 down to about the same speed as the NF-S12A by setting the duty cycle to 80%, which gave 1250 rpm. But I am not sure why you would actually need to run either of these fans at these sorts of levels anyway.

Abula

Post by Abula » Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:17 am

I like a lot NF-S12A, not too much the NF-F12, to its more a matter of preferences and sonic signature, both are great fans, to me the P12 has better tone than the F12, but again its all a matter of personal preferences and likes.

I would wait for the Gentle Typhoon Noctua alike, in the past Scythe Gentle Typhoons were considered one of the best for heatsinks and rads, specially on the overclocking communities, SPCR did review the 800/1450 rpm versions on the Fan Roundup #6: Scythe, Noiseblocker, Antec, Nexus, Thermalright, and found them very good overall, worth meantioning this are real ball bearing fans so they have certain tone that some like others dont, to me they are very good fans, that said, Noctua is relasing a new fan, that has a lot of similarities to the GT, probably using their own style bearing, and it should come out before years end from what i read, to me that its going to be the best heatsink fan of all, specially since Scythe never really did a PWM version, and now there is a Darkpower (nindec version) PWM but still not as good in my testing, but i got good hopes for the noctua, as to me there are no 120mm pwm fans that i like as i do on 140mm.