MikeC wrote:iirc, I actually ran a system in the Antec ISK300 for a while, something modest with onboard graphics & the internal 65W AC/DC adapter. Not sure if that models is still available, I see the links are for the one with a 150W PSU which isn't quiet under load. Anyway, I just used a couple of quiet 80mm fans for intake only, with the biggest stock Intel heatsink at the time. Kept its fan going as slow as possible. It was a decently quiet system sitting on its side.
Today I would consider a Silverstone ML05 with one of their SFX PSUs, only 2.5" SSD/HDDs, and a Big Shuriken 2 rev. B. Make a simple cradle from wood & paint it black to put the case on its side (PSU side) for desktop use. Or flat/horizontal under/behind your monitor if you have an extended arm type stand (which I do). I have one of these cases/systems for an audio only PC. Not silent but quiet enough. Rosewill RS-MI-01 is also an option tho its PSU probably isn't efficient & may need fan modding. They are both cheap cases, so easy to justify buying & experimenting.
thanks for an advise, but I already have RVZ01B from Silverstone. Imho SFX PSUs are far from satisfying my personal needs
on silent computing:
- 450W Gold rated PSU from Silverstone has much audible idle fan noise(not speaking of load fan noise) - own one myself. Waiting for fan replacement for warranty void process to begin
- 600W Silverstone PSU has quieter fan, albeit possible coil whine + fan clicking sounds on low rpms + unfair "semi-fanless" operation - from Hardforum discussions
I tested following setup:
- Asus Z97I Plus + 4690K + Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev B. + Thermalright TY140 @ 600 rpm
- Asus Strix 970 + 2*Noiseblocker XL-1 @ 500 rpm
- WD Green 1Tb + 250 Gb SSD
- Silverstone 450W Gold PSU
after silencing everything else including GPU & CPU I can only hear PSU fan noise.....
That is why I'm looking towards Define R5 + Seasonic X1050(happen to have already) + perhaps same above mITX components(cant afford full ATX MB now(no sense, unless going 970 SLI) and, possibly, Scythe Kotetsu for CPU)
If you can recommend any smaller case fitting all above and yet, providing silence - will be much appreciated.
Apologize for going offtopic