GTX 1070 Review Compilation Thread

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Abula

Re: GTX 1070 Review Compilation Thread

Post by Abula » Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:17 am

birthdaymonkey wrote:I'm also starting to feel disappointed with my EVGA 1070 SC. I bought it in the middle of the summer, when I had a dehumidifier running, so it's only now that the dehumidifier is off that I'm noticing the noises it makes. My main issue isn't the fans under load - although they do make a "ball bearing" hiss at all speeds, I'm fine with a bit of noise when I'm gaming. My issue is with the fans twitching at idle. Now that my room is often silent, I can hear an audible sound every time the fans twitch (which happens every few seconds). I don't know why EVGA's fans have this behavior when other manufacturers' fans just... idle at idle. Of course, it's much too late to return the card at this point, so I guess it's either put up with the noise or sell the card and buy a different one at a loss.
You can always go aftermarket cooler, the Prolimatech MK-26 VGA Cooler is a good candidate, on the case of MSI is a pretty easy change as it has frontal plate that cools VRMS and Memory, so in essence you just unscrew the cooler, clean up the old paste, apply new paste, align the MK26 and install the 4 screws, connect the cables/fans. I think EVGA on their recent cards follows a similar design for the frontal plate, it does has some extra tabs on the middle of the gpu, not sure if that would affect the installation, probably not, but its the only thing that i can see that might.

If you go for it, consider fans like Noctua that has very good PWM range of operation, personally i would chose fans that dont stop on 0% pwm but that drop super low, my suggestion is Noctua NF-S12B 1200PWM, if you want the fans to stop you could go with NF-S12A PWM or NF-F12 PWM. Also remember the mk26 will take 4 slots, and you need some space in the back as the screws stick up a little, but if you do have the space it should be a good upgrade both in quiet and performance.

Tzupy
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Tzupy » Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:16 am

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:21 am

Added. Comes across as 5dB quieter when compared to Guru3D's reviews of the Gaming X and Z. Then again, their idle noise floor seems to vary from 30dB to 33dB...So, a bit quieter. How much? Dunno. :)

Smanci

Post by Smanci » Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:01 am

All EVGA ACX models of GTX 1060/70/80 will be fitted with a BIOS update that increases fan speed across the board.

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Nvidia-Pa ... 0-1212246/

Vell_Muddasick

Post by Vell_Muddasick » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:47 am

I'm wondering if the BIOS update for the EVGA cards is as intrusive as some suggest (an increase of around 400 rpm at gaming temperatures). Based on the possible changes in noise I may decide to go with an MSI Gaming X and manually decrease the fan speeds if need be. Can anyone chime in on the noise difference after the BIOS update?

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:28 am

EVGA is offering kits to add thermal pads to their FTW cards (1070 and 1080). I will be getting this for mine.

There is also a BIOS update for EVGA cards that changes the fan profiles, increasing them by ~400RPM over the upper temperature range, as I understand it.

Button_Mash

Post by Button_Mash » Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:54 am

Button_Mash wrote:I purchased the EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0 yesterday. Even though most of the reviews I had seen were for the SC, the price difference was minimal and in theory the slightly bigger heat sink and fans should only make it better. I don't think it is displaying any signs of coil whine but I have never noticed coil whine before so I don't really know what to look for. Ignorance is bliss I guess. :wink:

Just in case though I ran a burn in loop of Unigine Valley on extreme HD settings. With an ambient temperature of 23°C it maxed out at 74-75°C with the fans running at around 1250-1300rpm. I also played Just Cause 3 for a couple of hours and that maxed out at 67°C and 500rpm. Idle it was hovering around 44°C. This was with the FTW running off the master bios and the case fans (2 front intake, 1 rear exhaust) running on the motherboards silent profile. I have still been too lazy to do any manual fan tuning yet. :oops:

While I couldn't guess what the dB might be, the noise profile seems pleasant enough to me. The card is enclosed in a Corsair 600Q standing on the floor at the side of my desk, about 1m away.

Overall I would call this a win and I can finally say I have finished my build. :)
I have updated my EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0 to the new bios with the updated fan curve for reduced PWM temperature but I do not have the additional thermal pads yet. I repeated my test with Unigine Valley on extreme HD settings. With an ambient temperature of around 16°C it maxed out at 70°C with the fans running at around 1550rpm. One odd behaviour to note, after stopping the test the GPU has cooled down to 32°C but the fans have not stopped spinning like they should have. This is on the master bios which should have 0db mode enabled. I will run the test again later to see if I can reproduce this issue.

If I had to make my purchase again today, I would probably go with MSI.

Abula

Post by Abula » Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:06 pm

Button_Mash

Post by Button_Mash » Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:20 pm

Button_Mash wrote:
Button_Mash wrote:I purchased the EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0 yesterday. Even though most of the reviews I had seen were for the SC, the price difference was minimal and in theory the slightly bigger heat sink and fans should only make it better. I don't think it is displaying any signs of coil whine but I have never noticed coil whine before so I don't really know what to look for. Ignorance is bliss I guess. :wink:

Just in case though I ran a burn in loop of Unigine Valley on extreme HD settings. With an ambient temperature of 23°C it maxed out at 74-75°C with the fans running at around 1250-1300rpm. I also played Just Cause 3 for a couple of hours and that maxed out at 67°C and 500rpm. Idle it was hovering around 44°C. This was with the FTW running off the master bios and the case fans (2 front intake, 1 rear exhaust) running on the motherboards silent profile. I have still been too lazy to do any manual fan tuning yet. :oops:

While I couldn't guess what the dB might be, the noise profile seems pleasant enough to me. The card is enclosed in a Corsair 600Q standing on the floor at the side of my desk, about 1m away.

Overall I would call this a win and I can finally say I have finished my build. :)
I have updated my EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0 to the new bios with the updated fan curve for reduced PWM temperature but I do not have the additional thermal pads yet. I repeated my test with Unigine Valley on extreme HD settings. With an ambient temperature of around 16°C it maxed out at 70°C with the fans running at around 1550rpm. One odd behaviour to note, after stopping the test the GPU has cooled down to 32°C but the fans have not stopped spinning like they should have. This is on the master bios which should have 0db mode enabled. I will run the test again later to see if I can reproduce this issue.

I took my EVGA FTW back to the store to explain that I was unsatisfied with the increase in fan speed with the new bios. They offered me a straight swap for an ASUS Strix so I decided to give it a try. It was worse than the EVGA, even with the new bios. It maxed out at 70°C with the fans running at around 2000rpm. The fans are also smaller and there are 3 of them so the pitch was less pleasant too. I found this out quick enough that I was able to get my old card back again. I am just going to have to wait it out and do the thermal mods. I might take this as an opportunity to try using a higher quality thermal compound and see if I can improve things all round.

It's a shame it is difficult to get MSI products where I live otherwise this could have all been avoided.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:37 am

Button_Mash wrote:

I will do the pads and stick with the original BIOS.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:21 pm

For those that can get the MSI Gaming X, Newegg has it for $386 after MIR for a couple of days.

Button_Mash

Post by Button_Mash » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:09 pm

NeilBlanchard wrote:
Button_Mash wrote:

I will do the pads and stick with the original BIOS.
So one final update, I have now added the thermal pads and I flashed the card to the bios version prior to the fan speed increase. I screwed up the thermal compound application the first time around so I did it again with some Noctua NT-H1. Using the same test with an ambient temperature of around 19°C it now maxes out at 74°C with the fans running at around 1300rpm. This is roughly where I started at, maybe fractionally better, but hopefully now I have a reduced chance of any components frying.

bburk

Post by bburk » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:40 pm

So now that the dust has pretty much settled on these cards, which is the quietest under load while not clocked higher than it comes out of the box? I've seen reviews claiming Zotac GTX 1070 AMP! Extreme Edition, MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Quick Silver 8G OC, and the MSI gamer X each stating they are the quietest... The prices are close enough I don't care, and I have plenty of room in my case. thanks
(I had and EVGA 1070 FTW and am very happy that newegg allowed me to return it, albeit for store credit, way too noisy under load for me)

Abula

Post by Abula » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:17 pm

bburk wrote:So now that the dust has pretty much settled on these cards, which is the quietest under load while not clocked higher than it comes out of the box? I've seen reviews claiming Zotac GTX 1070 AMP! Extreme Edition, MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Quick Silver 8G OC, and the MSI gamer X each stating they are the quietest... The prices are close enough I don't care, and I have plenty of room in my case. thanks
(I had and EVGA 1070 FTW and am very happy that newegg allowed me to return it, albeit for store credit, way too noisy under load for me)
It seems that triple slot cards are slightly quiter than the MSI, if you have the space i would go that route, else the MSI Gaming X is a good pick.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:39 am

MSI Aero ITX OC @ Guru3D added.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:06 am

MSI Aero ITX @ hardwareLUXX added.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:06 am

KFA2 EXOC Black Sniper @ hardwareLUXX added.

These names...:)

BrianF

Post by BrianF » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:42 am

Just a heads up on the height of MSI TwinFrozr IV based 1070s: They are abnormally tall at 140mm. Unlike their 1060 models which have the power jack(s) recessed a bit, on the 1070 (and most others) they are flush with the top, which means another 25mm or so for your power connectors/wires, so ostensibly almost 170mm tall in total. Sadly this precludes using them in many of the smaller/compact cases (and even some not so small).

BrianF

Post by BrianF » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:22 pm

Its curious to me why a card like the MSI Gamer X uses as much as 181Watts compared to FE solid at 150 (according to Tom's).

I know that the Gamer X can essentially be forced to stock, non-OC clocks ("Silent" mode). I wonder by how much the power consumption would be reduced. I cant imagine that the default nominal OC would be adding a whole 30 watts... ?!?

Abula

Post by Abula » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:29 pm

BrianF wrote:Its curious to me why a card like the MSI Gamer X uses as much as 181Watts compared to FE solid at 150 (according to Tom's).
The custom cards usually have custom power designs that go over what Nvidia designs, thus allowing more power delivery and to some point higher performance, but power deliveries in a lot of cases have been overdesign to levels where its not needed.
BrianF wrote:I know that the Gamer X can essentially be forced to stock, non-OC clocks ("Silent" mode). I wonder by how much the power consumption would be reduced. I cant imagine that the default nominal OC would be adding a whole 30 watts... ?!?
You can lower clocks/voltages to the point the consumption is extremely low, but so will be the performance of the card. Todays GPUs have what nvidia defines as Boost, where the card overlclock itself if the conditions allow, but it does consume more power as all overclocking do. As with all silicone, some GPUs might operate with lower voltages, some might not, but usually when you pass the limits of the cards, downclocking is needed to sustain stability.

If you are more interested on power consumption than performance, there are other offerings that might suit you better like GTX1060 or GTX1050Ti.

Or if you want the power consumption and performance of the GTX1070 FE, wait a couple of months for the GTX1170, its probably a refresh with GDDR6. If you feel its too noisy, you can always go with aftermarket cooler like Morpheus, MK26 or Accelero IV. Personally i take the extra power consumption.

whispercat

Post by whispercat » Thu May 10, 2018 9:59 pm

I was reading this review from Techpowerup:

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVI ... _GTX_1070/

The power consumption impressed me.

I'm not that knowledgeable about nvidia gaming cards. Is this a reference card? If so, would the power consumption levels be any different from other 3rd party cards?

How do I find this exact card? I don't see it anywhere. Or would you recommend a better GTX 1070.

Thanks.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Fri May 11, 2018 8:56 am

whispercat wrote:I was reading this review from Techpowerup:

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVI ... _GTX_1070/

The power consumption impressed me.

I'm not that knowledgeable about nvidia gaming cards. Is this a reference card? If so, would the power consumption levels be any different from other 3rd party cards?

How do I find this exact card? I don't see it anywhere. Or would you recommend a better GTX 1070.

Thanks.
1) Yes
2) could be. 3rd parties are free to adjust the power target. Generally upward if they are chasing higher clock rates. Reviews will show power use.
3) Why would you want to unless you plan to remove the loud reference blower and replace with an aftermarket cooler?
4) See page 1 of this thread if just for the two roundup articles.

whispercat

Post by whispercat » Fri May 11, 2018 12:59 pm

Well, according to most of those reviews, the reference GTX 1070 was even quieter than most other 3rd party cards, including the Asus ROG Strix 1070 they tested. https://www.kitguru.net/components/grap ... rgb-oc/27/

The Guru 3D review also showed only a 1 or 2 d/BA difference between the reference and the Asus https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/a ... .htmlStrix. Same for the MSI Gaming X 1070. The Nvidia reference card was still drawing several watts lower than almost any other cards.

The only review that I could find showing different results was the Techpowerup review of the Gigabyte Xtreme Gaming 1070, which was quieter on load than the reference Nvidia: https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Gig ... ng/25.html

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Fri May 11, 2018 1:23 pm

It's tough when all of these sites have a ~30dB noise floor. You really don't know what the effective noise level of a card is. Best case, you can find cards that are consistently shown as having a lower dB measurement, and hopefully while providing lower temps and lower fan rpm. For grins, here's a chart from the ComputerBase roundup listed in the first post.

Also, I do not think the Founder Ed card goes passive with 2D/idle loads...

Finally, here's a review from Tom's Hardware that compares fan rpm and noise profiles for the FE card and MSI's.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

whispercat

Post by whispercat » Fri May 11, 2018 5:22 pm

Thanks Steve. I think for most 1070s the noise at idle won't matter so much since the fans don't kick in until around 57-60 degrees.

I've been reading some good things about the EVGA 1070 SC. (and the black edition). But since I started looking around at general 1070 prices, I think I may have to drop down to a 1060. Just a little out of my reach.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Fri May 11, 2018 8:46 pm

Gaming card prices have started to head down. Nvidia is expecting the cryptocurrency demand to drop by 2/3 this quarter. That should help a lot more.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Sat May 12, 2018 1:09 pm

CA_Steve wrote:Gaming card prices have started to head down. Nvidia is expecting the cryptocurrency demand to drop by 2/3 this quarter. That should help a lot more.
Thankfully! It has been crazy paying so much.

BrianF

Post by BrianF » Thu May 17, 2018 2:54 pm

I checked our dealer costing on them today and saw a marked drop this week alone.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Thu May 17, 2018 6:02 pm

For grins, here's the 180 day price history for the MSI Gaming X via pcpartpicker. It's at MSRP. '1060's are still running $50 over MSRP.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.