Interesting new PSU, EVGA Supernova G3 550W

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Abula

Interesting new PSU, EVGA Supernova G3 550W

Post by Abula » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:24 pm

EVGA has release for some years now very good PSU, and its not surprise since their OEM is Superflower for most of their PSUs, their EVGA G2 and P2 imo are some of the best for the money, both in noise and power delivery. Today i saw the they have now out the new Generation 3, and it has some very nice things,

1) The price, G2 was already very good at it, but now you can get a 550W G3 fully modular for $80.

2) Its length, while still being ATX and having an 130mm fan on it, the length of the PSU is 150mm, which imo its pretty good, hell all of the G3 seems to be 150mm even the 1000W, this might play nice with small cramp builds like Fractal Node304 or Raijintek Metis.

3) 7 year warranty, and knowing EVGA their customer service is pretty good.

Overall seems like a very good offering, but i don't own one nor i have tested them, and there are very few user reviews, really hope SPCR gets a sample of this as it might become a very viable alternative to Corsair RM550X.

In case someone is interested on reading more, here some reviews,

JonnyGuru Reviews - EVGA Supernova G3 750W
JonnyGuru Reviews - EVGA Supernova G3 1000W
PC Perspective EVGA SuperNOVA 550W G3 Power Supply Review

CA_Steve

Re: Interesting new PSU, EVGA Supernova G3 550W

Post by CA_Steve » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:43 pm

Thanks. Looks nice.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:36 am

The real alternative to the RMx is the Bitfenix Whisper M. IMHO, of course.

Abula

Post by Abula » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:45 am

quest_for_silence wrote:The real alternative to the RMx is the Bitfenix Whisper M. IMHO, of course.
Interesting offering from Bitfenix, specially the pricepoint and that they have 450W version, BitFenix BWG450M $70, the only draw back i see, and this is more a personal preference, is that its multi rail design instead of a single.

Btw lucas do you know who is manufacturing these PSUs?
edit: Found it.
The OEM of these units will be Channel Well Technology (CWT)
Not a big fan of CWT, but i believe also makes the RMx so it might be fine either way.

Reading Anandtech review, it seems the design of heatsinks is the same for all, but what they change is the fan, so it might be better if going with Bitfenix Wisper M to go with lower wattage than higher.

Would be great if SPCR could review the EVGA G3 550W and BitFinix BWG550M, both seem to offer very good value.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:46 pm

Abula wrote:Not a big fan of CWT, but i believe also makes the RMx so it might be fine either way.
AFAIK actually the Whisper M was developed on the RMx design basis, it's sort of an evolution of the RMx.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/bit ... 805-4.html