Noctua 24V iPPC QUIETER than 12V versions!

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Notwist

Noctua 24V iPPC QUIETER than 12V versions!

Post by Notwist » Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:23 pm

I had to share this the moment I tested:

I had previously been disappointed to find that Noctua's iPPC fans made a real ugly clicking noise when running at low RPMs. I've discovered many other reports of people with the same findings.

On a whim, I ordered the 24V model thinking that if the noise was due to the PWM IC, maybe running it in DC would make it quieter? And since the 24V fans run at half the speed of their 12V counterparts when connected to a 12V connections, the RPM would be easier to voltage control.

Lo and behold, regardless of whether being run through PWM or DC, the ugly clicking noise is NOT present on the 24V fans! In fact, they sound basically identical to your typical beige F12 (for good and bad).

Anybody else test this out who can backup my findings? Thanks!

quest_for_silence

Re: Noctua 24V iPPC QUIETER than 12V versions!

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:50 am

Notwist wrote:the ugly clicking noise is NOT present on the 24V fans! In fact, they sound basically identical to your typical beige F12 (for good and bad).

As a matter of fact a 24V 3k is rather similar/almost overlaps the std F12 but at twice the price: does it worth?

Notwist

Re: Noctua 24V iPPC QUIETER than 12V versions!

Post by Notwist » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:17 am

quest_for_silence wrote:
Notwist wrote:the ugly clicking noise is NOT present on the 24V fans! In fact, they sound basically identical to your typical beige F12 (for good and bad).

As a matter of fact a 24V 3k is rather similar/almost overlaps the std F12 but at twice the price: does it worth?
Well, for alot of these fan choices it comes down to aesthetics and noise preference. And you can't out much of a price on aesthetics since everybody is different.