Any good flamboyant cases?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Gunbuster

Any good flamboyant cases?

Post by Gunbuster » Mon May 22, 2017 11:50 am

Hi all,

having lived with the Fractal Define R2 for ages, I guess I am just fed up of Scandinavian minimalism.

Does anyone have any experience of more out there cases like the Aerocool P7.

I know around here discreet is preferred, I am not questioning anyone's tastes.

One thing that also bothers me about the Define is the restricted intake, its great for idle or light usage, but means everything ramps up that much more under load. I'd rather settle for quiet, not silent for all of the time, rather than noisy under load and silent at idle.

Just a thought, thanks all.

Guess I am looking for the Scythe Kotestu of cases, fun, but not stupid.

Example system if that helps:
Ryzen 1600x + Kotetsu
Vega Core/GTX 1070
Mostly SSD storage
EVGA G2 750
Black or monotone system fans from who ever is usually the best. I currently have a range of Noctua, BeQuiet!, Phanteks and Fractal fans kicking around.

NeilBlanchard

Re: Any good flamboyant cases?

Post by NeilBlanchard » Tue May 23, 2017 4:53 am

Maybe a Silverstone Raven?

Gunbuster

Post by Gunbuster » Tue May 23, 2017 8:05 am

NeilBlanchard wrote:Maybe a Silverstone Raven?
Probably the RV05, but as Abula said about the FT05, its showing it age a little viewtopic.php?f=14&t=69683

Looks like Silverstone is only interested in reheating old versions and teeny-tiny Mini-ITX cases now. All the towers are conventional layout and 3x140mm not 2x180mm.

I'd love an RV06 but that is a vague hope.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Tue May 23, 2017 10:19 am

Computex is next week - so expect a bunch of 2017 case models to be shown...availability to buy is another matter. :)

Gunbuster

Post by Gunbuster » Tue May 23, 2017 10:33 am

CA_Steve wrote:Computex is next week - so expect a bunch of 2017 case models to be shown...availability to buy is another matter. :)
Agreed, at least then I will know what is coming up.

Abula

Post by Abula » Tue May 23, 2017 4:30 pm

I think the Corsair Air 740 could be a good candidate, more open, more fans and this should mean less rpms for the same cooling (its something that im going to try soon with a rebuild of HTPC going into a Racing SIM), as long as you don't have noisy components inside, should be a decent option, one thing that have me thinking is the grills or perforation on all around where the fans are.... i think this is going to create some turbulence and noise, how much... its something that i have to test with the hardware inside. The plan is use Thermalright TY147ASQ for top and bottom fans (4), TY147B for Silver Arrow and back case fan (3) and Bequiet BL066 for the 3 frontal fans. Im going to try to have the Asus GTX1080Ti strix control the bottom TY147ASQ, and the top TY147ASQ and the back TY147B and two on the CPU cooler controlled by the motherboard CPU_FAN1 header (with swiftech 8PWM splitter), and the Bequiet 120mm PWM BL066 will be controlled by the CPU_FAN2 (with a cryotech 4PWM splitter), all controlled by the bios. I might ass a noctua 92mm for cooling a mechanical hdd on the back, still undecided how it will be controlled, probably with CHA_FAN1 on voltage control, but i have to check the case and the fan to find a way to mount it.

About the FT05, its a good case, its not as quiet as R4/5 on idle, but its more constant on load, but you do need to undervolt the AP181, around 500rpms they are decent (not silent). If you go this route, expect a case that its not so easy to do the CM but with some patience it can be done right, look for a 160mm PSU if you plan on using the 3.5 hdd mount, larger might not fit with it or make it harder to route the cables. One last thing, keep in mind that the FT05 has a PCI max card length of 12.3" (312mm), cards like Zotac GTX1070 AMP Extreme wont fit as they have length of 325mm, so when choosing the GPU be really careful, look into Steve GTX1070 compilation and search for the quietest (i think the its the zotac but after that seems its the MSI, but crosscheck it, i didn't research 1070s as much as i did 1080/1080ti).

Gunbuster

Post by Gunbuster » Thu May 25, 2017 1:58 am

Abula wrote:I think the Corsair Air 740...
Thanks Abula, thats some useful info. I will take Steve's advice and at least see what is coming before taking the plunge. I picked up 32GB of DDR4 that was on special offer, so I have that, an EVGA G2 750 and a Scythe Kotetsu that will migrate over.

SSD wise I have 2x 960GB Sandisk Ultra IIs and a Crucial CX100 512GB. Should be enough. Though some of my decisions comes down to a test of a graphics card I just bought as my betweener card (R7 265), the card I will use when I have sold my old main card, but not received my new one. It doesn't work in my Asus P6X58D-E, in fact the machine doesn't even post with it in. I will be trying that in my Dad's machine tonight. I also have issues with powered external drives disabling the LAN adapter. It might be close to retirement, hence my search.

If the card doesn't work in his, then it probably just needs replacing and the X58 system is still a goer. If it does work, then I think its time to decommision.

Hence the case search.

I personally prefer the 540 for looks, but thinking about a cube case makes sense as my tower lives in the elbow of an L shape of desks.

Abula

Post by Abula » Thu May 25, 2017 6:13 pm

Gunbuster wrote:I personally prefer the 540 for looks, but thinking about a cube case makes sense as my tower lives in the elbow of an L shape of desks.
Look is more personal, i think both look great, i prefer the 740 more because it already come with support for 140mm fans on the bottom, these are the fans i want to link to the Asus GTX1080Ti Strix to control directly, on the AIR 540 i would have need to do some modding, not that hard.... but for the price difference... i prefer not to.

Lots of ssd space you have, for me that would me more than enough for years. If you end up redoing your build, just be careful on the motherboard choice, a safe bet is Asus as long as you like to use FanXpert, for pure bios i like more AsRock (specially the ASRock X370 Taichi), but Asus is also decent, just not perfect on bios, if you in fact like software FanXpert should do magic with the fan control and bringing your pc to inaudible levels. For the GPU i would look into MSI GTX1070 Quick Silver 8G OC.

Btw the Corsair fans that come with the Air540/740 suck, they tick and the led simply are not that good when undervolting, im going to be changing them, for now im trying to get some Thermalright TY147ASQ, else im going to go with BeQuiet Silentwing3 140mm PWM BL067.

Good luck with your build.

Gunbuster

Post by Gunbuster » Fri May 26, 2017 4:03 am

Okay so the R7 265 didn't work in Dad's either...

Its allways a trip down memory lane with his old machine.

He's rocking a passive Nvidia 7970 GT https://www.overclockers.co.uk/arctic-c ... 23-ar.html

:D

Already seeing some stuff from Computex I like the sound of, will see what gets announced.