GTX 1050 Ti review compilation thread

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Jose Hidalgo

Re: GTX 1050 Ti review compilation thread

Post by Jose Hidalgo » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:10 pm

Hi everybody,

So what about the Asus GeForce 1050 Ti Expedition ?

It looks very quiet in this review (in french but with lots of self-explanatory charts), in both 2D and 3D :
http://www.lesnumeriques.com/carte-grap ... /test.html

It has a nice design with 2 silent fans that won't turn on below a certain temperature.
Maybe a competitor for the Gigabyte models ? (6 different models BTW, hard to choose ! ( http://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/G ... -10-Series )

:wink:

Abula

Post by Abula » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:54 pm

I have feeling that the 1050Ti are very similar to the 750Ti in terms of noise. Really didnt matter much which card you bought, well thats not completly true, on the 750Ti not all stopped on idle, only the Asus, but the MSI that i owned was very quiet, never even past 1000rpms and 65C temperature, today 1050Ti i think most of the stop their fans on idle, so i think it doesn't matter much.

Personally i dont like the design of the asus fans tonally, but in here shouldn't matter much as the card shoudlnt reach levels where those fans are audible, i still prefer the MSI as the fans to me have a better tone, but honestly buy whichever you like the best, i don't think either should be noisy.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:29 am

Palit KalmX @ Guru3D added.

LongJan

Post by LongJan » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:42 am

59W and still a PEG! Why?
I want a semipassive one without need for extra power.
If there is a connector I suppose you have to use it, or am I wrong?

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:54 am

LongJan wrote:
I want a semipassive one without need for extra power.
If there is a connector I suppose you have to use it, or am I wrong?
The gfx card may sense that the PEG connector is not plugged in and not work. Hard to tell w/o trying...and the Ti's are 75W power target for stock speed...some mfgrs add the PEG for overclocking room...some add the PEG so you don't run up against the 75W PCIe limit.

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:02 am

LongJan wrote:
There is no power connector on this card, as this review confirms. There is incidentally a mildly overclocked version of this card, the eSports OC Edition about to come on the market.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:09 am

Palit KalmX @ KitGuru added.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:51 am

Palit KalmX @ Tom's Hardware added. Noticable clock throttling without case fans, does fine with some airflow.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:14 am

CA_Steve wrote:Palit KalmX @ Tom's Hardware added. Noticable clock throttling without case fans, does fine with some airflow.
QED

shosiu

Post by shosiu » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:12 am

I was planning to buy KalmX, but currently put it on hold.
Some information, I've got from Palit support when asked them (might be useful for someone):
This card has 2pin input, so you can connect the fan directly to the card. You can control the fan speed via Afterburner, Thundermaster etc, but you cannot stop it (for example until the card reaches given temperature) - card BIOS has the minimun fan speed set and you cannot omit it. That's strange, because for such card (with the aim of passive cooling) fan should not run for over 90% of its time.

Unfortunately, but finding perfect 1050Ti is a challenge. Most of good samples have 6PIN connector, which is a problem for me. MSI 1050Ti Gaming would be perfect (cool, quiet) but has 6pin PEG connector. EVGA 1050Ti SSC is really good card, but their fans have nothing in common with silence.

Regards

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:59 am

The Asus Expedition GTX 1050Ti might be worth considering - it does not have a 6 Pin connector, it does have 0dB fans. By default the fans do not run while the GPU temperature is less than around 50C. Using Asus GPU Tweak II software there is the option of turning this 0dB fan option either on or off through a dedicated button. In addition GPU Tweak II can be used to create a custom fan profile that can extend the normal 0dB fan cut off point from about 50C to approaching 80C GPU temperature. At this point the minimum fan duty cycle that can be set is 30% and this can be maintained up to 100C. This would give an extended period of fanless operation with the fans only coming on under gaming stress and/or high ambient temperatures.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:20 am

shosiu wrote:MSI 1050Ti Gaming would be perfect (cool, quiet) but has 6pin PEG connector.
Use an adapter.

shosiu

Post by shosiu » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:02 pm

I could connect the card using SATA=>6PIN adapter (I saw such thing on auctions), but I'm not sure if it's safe. In theory it should be, as all those cards need very little power (there should be sufficient power directly from PCIE). What do you think?

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:54 pm

shosiu wrote:What do you think?

I don't trust SATA connectors that much, they are the weakest: so I would not use a SATA to PCIe, but a MOLEX (4 pin) to PCIe adaptor. If you don't have one (MOLEX), then a 2 SATA to 1 PCIe "y adapter".

Said that, even with the PEG connector aboard, the MSI is still a 60W card, and just the PCIe slot can supply 75W... do your math. :wink:

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:19 am

Asus Strix OC @ KitGuru added.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Fri May 19, 2017 6:28 am

Palit KalmX @ Techpowerup added.

LordKaramazov

Post by LordKaramazov » Sun May 28, 2017 8:07 am

shosiu wrote:I was planning to buy KalmX, but currently put it on hold.
Some information, I've got from Palit support when asked them (might be useful for someone):
This card has 2pin input, so you can connect the fan directly to the card. You can control the fan speed via Afterburner, Thundermaster etc, but you cannot stop it (for example until the card reaches given temperature) - card BIOS has the minimun fan speed set and you cannot omit it. That's strange, because for such card (with the aim of passive cooling) fan should not run for over 90% of its time.

Unfortunately, but finding perfect 1050Ti is a challenge. Most of good samples have 6PIN connector, which is a problem for me. MSI 1050Ti Gaming would be perfect (cool, quiet) but has 6pin PEG connector. EVGA 1050Ti SSC is really good card, but their fans have nothing in common with silence.

Regards
I think you are confusing the KalmX with the StormX. As the KalmX is a passive VGA, there are no fans, so what you wrote makes no sense. Now, if this was regarding the StormX, then yes, all is relevant.

Like someone else said above, they are looking to build a very quiet PC and wanted more info on these low powered guys and found this thread which has amazing info on all of these.

I myself am currently planning a build with a ryzen 5 1600 and a gtx1050 ti. I wanted to make the build as small as possible as well, but it seems that there aren't any reliable mini ITX motherboards for AM4 at the moment. Since the beginning I have chosen a mATX mobo, and, although I built computers in the past, it was always helping out at work, I have never ordered things for myself nor knew that there were so many standards and that the ecosystem was as large as it is.

I have 2 questions and they both revolve around the KalmX:
One, I was going to get the KalmX, but just last minute I found out it does not fit in the case I am currently going for (silverstone GD09), which left me very very sad, actually, because it took me 2 days to find this case. So, does someone have another case suggestion where I would mount the mobo horizontally, and where the case would be as small as possible for an mATX build, so possibly with an SFX power supply and >148mm of CPU cooler clearance (this counts with the massive size of the KalmX which is 142mm "tall"). I am starting to get a bit frustrated in terms of cases!

Secondly, if I would instead keep the case and switch to a cheap 1050 ti and slap an Arctic Accelero L2 plus on it, I am afraid of compatibility. Althouh arctic states it fits the 1050 ti, it in the end I guess, depends on the original manufacturer. Does anyone know if there is a list of vendors and compatibility, or if someone knows if it would fit on any of these:
Palit GTX 1050 ti StormX
Gygabyte GeForce® GTX 1050 Ti Windforce OC 4G
(these are my current 2 cheaper options)

I guess my full post strays a bit off topic, but if answered regarding the compatibility or the accelero L2, I guess this is good additional info for this thread.

clive r
Friend of SPCR

Post by clive r » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:57 am

I received and installed the Palit Kalmx card yesterday and am pleasantly surprised.

Most of the quiet versions of the 1050ti seem to be quite long, which isn't ideal owing to the position of the hard drive cage in my case. Also I have a thing for big shiny heatsinks :)

First thing to say is you can't plug a fan into the card. There is a 2 pin connector but it is covered by the heatsink. The heatsink is big enough to accomodate a 12cm fan. I had a spare Nexus slim 92cm fan so I cable tied that on.

With the fan running at a constant 1200rpm the temerature measures 24 degrees at idle and levels out at 48 under load (Valley benchmark). Interestingly the card seems to boost to 1911mHz so there is no loss of performance here.

My case setup is old school ATX with one 120cm intake and one exhaust plus the psu, all run at minimum speed through a fan controller. With the Kalmx in place the system remains inaudible to me at all times.

Personally I think if you have a suitable fan spare then this fanless version makes perfect sense with a fan attached :)

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:16 am

Thanks for the info. I'd think you could run the fan at a much lower rpm and still maintain decent temps. Would you mind trying?

clive r
Friend of SPCR

Post by clive r » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:14 am

I'd think you could run the fan at a much lower rpm and still maintain decent temps. Would you mind trying?
Whoops, I meant Noctua, not Nexus.

This one (Noctua NF-A9x14) stalls at 1000rpm, and it's not that stable, so I've left it at 1200. It has the advantage of being slim, but I should imagine any decent 12cm fan would run quite a bit cooler at around half the speed.

I admit I'm a bit perplexed at all the reviews for the super bling 1050tis which run hotter and not any faster :)

Derek Semeraro

Post by Derek Semeraro » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:36 pm

The GTX 1050 Ti is a great card for gamers on a budget, offering a comparable performance to the Playstation 4 Pro. Insofar as it costs around $50 more than a GTX 1050, it's an added investment but it is more powerful. It will probably be relevant for a year or two longer than the GTX 1050. Particularly, your extra $50 will prevent big-budget games from dipping to an unacceptable (<30) frame rate. For professional or passionate video editors, I would recommend going for GTX 1060 or higher.

Post by 1010101010 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:09 pm

Hi everyone,

why was the ASUS EXPEDITION never added to the first post? From the above review it seems a very quiet GPU (0db when under 50C & ~30db when under load).

I could not find any other noise-profiling reviews, so sticking it into the first post could also help get it some more attention...

Has anyone here managed to put their hands on it??

Cheers

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:58 am

From the above review
What review? Haven't seen any.

[email protected]

Post by [email protected] » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:09 pm

clive r wrote:I received and installed the Palit Kalmx card yesterday and am pleasantly surprised.

Most of the quiet versions of the 1050ti seem to be quite long, which isn't ideal owing to the position of the hard drive cage in my case. Also I have a thing for big shiny heatsinks :)

First thing to say is you can't plug a fan into the card. There is a 2 pin connector but it is covered by the heatsink. The heatsink is big enough to accomodate a 12cm fan. I had a spare Nexus slim 92cm fan so I cable tied that on.

With the fan running at a constant 1200rpm the temerature measures 24 degrees at idle and levels out at 48 under load (Valley benchmark). Interestingly the card seems to boost to 1911mHz so there is no loss of performance here.

My case setup is old school ATX with one 120cm intake and one exhaust plus the psu, all run at minimum speed through a fan controller. With the Kalmx in place the system remains inaudible to me at all times.

Personally I think if you have a suitable fan spare then this fanless version makes perfect sense with a fan attached :)
Can you advise how to attach a fan on a 1050ti Kalmx? I got the card and I am thinking of ways to improve temperature as it stays on 82 degree C while gaming. My case airflow is bad, so I will improve that first, but I am interested in checking out what you suggest as well.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:32 am

My first thought would be to zip-tie a 120mm fan, like the Scythe SY1225DB12M-P, to the cooler and connect it to your motherboard's CPU-OPT (or CPU 2) fan input or one of the case fan inputs and use the CPU temp for control. Maybe use a felt sticky on the four fan corners so it's a soft mount against the metal cooler. You should be able to set the fan profile in BIOS so it never goes higher than 500rpm. It'll be enough direct cooling and you'll never hear it.