Mist Frostbite - New CPU cooler

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

silvervarg

Mist Frostbite - New CPU cooler

Post by silvervarg » Mon Dec 15, 2003 9:32 am

I got my eyes on an interesting new cooler.
It is the Mist Frostbite.
If I got things right it is designed by the Norwegian shop Microplex together with a few manufacturers. The cooler seems has many things in common with NPH-2 and DP-102 coolers, e.g. a single fat heatpipe in the middle. They have one Socket A version and one socket 478 version.
It comes with a Delta fan (ouch) and a "speed-knob" for the fan.
I think the fan is a 70mm fan, but you can replace it with an 80mm fan.
The core is copper and the finns are aluminium.
Weight is 416g with fan.
Specs for dimentions are strange on site. They claim that the height differs 3mm with and without fan, but looking at the pictures there is no way height can change when you put the fan on.

So far there is no reviews at all for this cooler and no C/W values are availabe. Could SPCR ask to get a review sample?
Since the shop that designed and sells then are aimed towards modders and overclockers and other strange folks (like SPCR) I think they would be happy to send Mike a review sample.

Oh, price is 395 NOK (or 395 SEK), that is about ~45 USD.

I find it very strange to put a Delta fan on it, since heatsink of this kind is more os less made to perform well at low airflow.
What I really want to know is how well it performs with an 80mm L1A @12V, @7V and @5V.

Winston

Post by Winston » Mon Dec 15, 2003 10:14 am

It also looks like it would be possible to mount a second fan on this cooler... can anyone confirm this?

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Mon Dec 15, 2003 10:15 am

looks similar to the deep impact cooler with the massive heatpipe in the middle.

Winston

Post by Winston » Mon Dec 15, 2003 10:20 am

GamingGod wrote:looks similar to the deep impact cooler with the massive heatpipe in the middle.
It is fully possible that it IS that cooler, with some modifications. I have seen MIST do this with other equipment, for example the now so famous Fortron/Source PSU with 120mm fan. This one is modified to have a Papst fan, in order to make it more quiet. If you take a look around the Microplex site, you can find other MIST products too (it's all in Norwegian tho).

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Mon Dec 15, 2003 10:24 am

No the deep impact is copper i think. And it looks like copper disks stacked on each other. Like a spindle of copper cds with a heatpipe running through the center. But its clearly based on the deep impact.

silvervarg

Post by silvervarg » Tue Dec 16, 2003 1:04 am

GamingGod:
No the deep impact is copper i think.
There is two Deep Impace coolers that are slightly similar.
DP-101 has aluminum fins and looks a lot like this one.
DP-102 is all copper and has cound discs etc and looks a bit more different.

The cooler it resembles most is
Thermal Transtec NPH-2
The major difference is the shroud and that the fan is on the clip-side on NPH-2. The choice of fan is also different.

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Tue Dec 16, 2003 8:13 am

LOL yea, thats the thing it looks like. I couldnt remember the name of it, but I knew I saw it somewhere. Thanks silverarg, that was driving me crazy.