Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - Silent with a 65W CPU?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

smilingcrow
*Lifetime Patron*

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - Silent with a 65W CPU?

Post by smilingcrow » Sat May 05, 2018 8:59 am

I’m building a system which will include a Fractal Design S case and an i5-8400 and looking for an inexpensive cooler that can run silently in that using the stock fan. Assume the case fans will be silent for the purposes of this scenario.
I think it has a PWM type fan which I’ve never used before so not sure if they can be controlled to the same degree as voltage controlled ones?
I am currently choosing a motherboard but it will have hybrid fan headers and decent fan control although I might use Speedfan.

Will the Hyper 212 EVO be good enough to cool the CPU whilst silent which presumably means running the fan at 800rpm or less?
The i5-8400 is rated at 65W and it is possible I could upgrade to the i7-8700 so I don’t want the silent cooling to be marginal for a 65W CPU as it leaves me no upgrade.
Or should I spend more and if so what do you recommend?
I don’t want to over-specify a cooler unnecessarily.
I have chosen this cooler based on this review:
http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.c ... 655&page=5

Thanks

lodestar

Re: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - Silent with a 65W CPU?

Post by lodestar » Sat May 05, 2018 11:00 am

The Hyper 212 EVO is a budget cooler. The main issue is that it has a 600 to 1600/2000 rpm fan (top speed varies in different markets). Idle speed is likely to be around 700 rpm and if this fits your definition of silent then it's not a problem. For a quieter cooler than this you could consider the Arctic Freezer single fan i32 or Arctic Freezer i33 Plus dual fan coolers. The main feature of both of them is that they feature a fan which actually stays off under 40% PWM duty cycle. So the fan or fans do not run when idling, only under load. Here in the UK either typically costs around 25% more than the 212.

If you prefer a cooler fan running continuously but don't want to spend too much then the next choice would probably be the Thermalright Macho Rev. B featuring the 147A PWM fan that has a minimum idle speed of around 350 rpm. From my local supplier the Thermalright Macho is priced at about 60% more than a 212 EVO. In terms of both quietness and performance it would significantly out-perform the Cooler Master.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Sat May 05, 2018 11:42 am

212 EVO would probably provide decent cooling, but it's stock fan may not meet your expectations..and if you add a decent PWM fan, it'll approach the cost of more effective coolers. Finally, it might be tough cooling an i7 quietly.

The Thermalright Macho Rev. B is a good choice as is the Scythe Mugen 5. I can't speak to the Arctic coolers. I tend to push the Scythe Kotetsu, but UK pricing is a little high.

smilingcrow
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by smilingcrow » Sat May 05, 2018 1:36 pm

Thanks All.
lodestar wrote:The Hyper 212 EVO is a budget cooler. The main issue is that it has a 600 to 1600/2000 rpm fan (top speed varies in different markets). Idle speed is likely to be around 700 rpm and if this fits your definition of silent then it's not a problem.
600 to 700 rpm is not inherently a problem as it depends on the quality of the fan. The review I linked suggested it has a good balance of noise to cooling but it wasn’t a SPCR calibre review which is an issue.
lodestar wrote:For a quieter cooler than this you could consider the Arctic Freezer single fan i32 or Arctic Freezer i33 Plus dual fan coolers. The main feature of both of them is that they feature a fan which actually stays off under 40% PWM duty cycle. So the fan or fans do not run when idling, only under load. Here in the UK either typically costs around 25% more than the 212.
I don’t mind paying more as it is a critical component. I’m out of the loop for a long time and get a sense that the base line quality has moved on a lot over the last 10 years hence I am looking at less expensive coolers.
It sounds an interesting design although I’ve never been sold on the idea of a passive CPU cooler as I feel a little air goes a long way and is silent, but I will consider it.
Whatever I use will be silent to me even at 100% CPU load so having it passive at low loads isn’t a concern.
There is no i33 seemingly as it’s the Freezer 33 Plus.
lodestar wrote:If you prefer a cooler fan running continuously but don't want to spend too much then the next choice would probably be the Thermalright Macho Rev. B featuring the 147A PWM fan that has a minimum idle speed of around 350 rpm. From my local supplier the Thermalright Macho is priced at about 60% more than a 212 EVO. In terms of both quietness and performance it would significantly out-perform the Cooler Master.
Thanks, another one to consider along with the Scythe Kotetsu which was recommend on another thread on here.
It’s only £15 more than the 212 Evo at Scan. Do you have a link to a review as I never base opinions on fan speeds at all but only on hard data.

smilingcrow
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by smilingcrow » Sat May 05, 2018 1:47 pm

CA_Steve wrote:212 EVO would probably provide decent cooling, but it's stock fan may not meet your expectations..and if you add a decent PWM fan, it'll approach the cost of more effective coolers. Finally, it might be tough cooling an i7 quietly.
That’s the niggling doubt in the back of my mind in terms of noise. Its cooling will be fine based on reviews but I only have one reference to fan noise which is not definitive.
I’m going to spend £5 to £15 more and get something I feel more confident about.
I don’t expect a problem cooling an i7-8700 (non K) quietly with the right cooler.
CA_Steve wrote:The Thermalright Macho Rev. B is a good choice as is the Scythe Mugen 5. I can't speak to the Arctic coolers. I tend to push the Scythe Kotetsu, but UK pricing is a little high.
The SPCR review of the Kotetsu is impressive and yes it is expensive in the UK. I’ll look at all those and do you have any specific reviews of them that you recommended?

Abula

Post by Abula » Sat May 05, 2018 5:56 pm

smilingcrow wrote:Thanks, another one to consider along with the Scythe Kotetsu which was recommend on another thread on here.
It’s only £15 more than the 212 Evo at Scan. Do you have a link to a review as I never base opinions on fan speeds at all but only on hard data.
Personally i like more the TY147 fan tonally and the range of operation, that said, in the US mostly the Kotesu does offer a lot for $36, reason why i suggested you in the other thread (not knowing you are from the UK). I think Loadstar can give you better advice in terms of value since you both are from the UK.

Coolers that imo offer good value in US (not sure on the UK):
- Scythe Kotetsu (i dont remember on a build that i did if it overlaps with memory, i think only the last dim, this offers the best value on US for the money).
- Scythe Ninja5 (overlaps with memory, needed to use standard height)
- Scythe Mugen5 RevB (tall memory friendly)
- Thermalright Macho Rev B (tall memory friendly)
- Thermalright True Spirit Power 140 (very high tower, check it fits before buying)

All of those range from $36-50, where to me its best bracket to spend, higher you will get marginally better performance and sometimes paying 50% more for a degree or two. And lower you get good value but the fans performance are not that great, or no backplate for mounting or not such good construction.... just spending on an extra fan place it very close to either of the above, where imo you get a better overall value, thats if they are with in your budget, which is the most important thing.
smilingcrow wrote:The SPCR review of the Kotetsu is impressive and yes it is expensive in the UK. I’ll look at all those and do you have any specific reviews of them that you recommended?
If you like the read on SPCR on the kotetsu, you should also read the SPCR Scythe Ninja 4: A Legend Reborn it will make you want to buy it. I still think any of the coolers above are very similar and equally worth in terms of good value with good performance and can quietly cool todays cpus to our standards, im more a fan of Thermalright overall, but both (scythe) deliver very good coolers overall, probably the two other that i would say its on their level are Noctua and Prolimatech but most of the time is more expensive (again not sure on UK).

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Sat May 05, 2018 11:12 pm

Abula wrote:If you like the read on SPCR on the kotetsu, you should also read the SPCR Scythe Ninja 4: A Legend Reborn it will make you want to buy it.
The price of the Kotetsu is inflated in the UK because it is imported from Germany. It was originally intended to compete with the Cooler Master 212 and at first it was available from UK sources in the £26 to £27 range. The need to import it has increased this price to around £38. The Ninja 4 from Scan is priced at slightly less than £43. Given the relatively small difference in price the Ninja 4 would be much better value for money. Noctua coolers such as the NH-U12S and NH-U14S cost about £55 so the Ninja 4 pricing is competitive. The Thermalright Macho Rev.B from Scan costs £40 so it is slightly more expensive than the Kotetsu and slightly cheaper than the Ninja 4.

Abula

Post by Abula » Sat May 05, 2018 11:29 pm

lodestar wrote:
Abula wrote:If you like the read on SPCR on the kotetsu, you should also read the SPCR Scythe Ninja 4: A Legend Reborn it will make you want to buy it.
The price of the Kotetsu is inflated in the UK because it is imported from Germany. It was originally intended to compete with the Cooler Master 212 and at first it was available from UK sources in the £26 to £27 range. The need to import it has increased this price to around £38. The Ninja 4 from Scan is priced at slightly less than £43. Given the relatively small difference in price the Ninja 4 would be much better value for money. Noctua coolers such as the NH-U12S and NH-U14S cost about £55 so the Ninja 4 pricing is competitive. The Thermalright Macho Rev.B from Scan costs £40 so it is slightly more expensive than the Kotetsu and slightly cheaper than the Ninja 4.
Yea checking scan.co.uk i agree, seems the two best choices would be,

Thermalright AMD/Intel Macho Rev.B Multi CPU Quiet Air Cooler £39.98
Scythe Ninja 4 CPU Cooler £42.98

Probably out of the two, i would go with Thermalright (baised =P), cheaper, memory friendly and imo looks better. That said, if smilingcrow is looking for a small cooler, some dont like the size of the Macho, then i would go with Kotetsu, even if the pricing isnt as good as the US, checking amazon.co.uk, seems they are getting the newer version, Scythe Kotetsu Mark II ventirad CPU Cooler £44.28 & FREE Delivery in the UK

smilingcrow
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by smilingcrow » Sun May 06, 2018 1:52 am

Abula wrote:If you like the read on SPCR on the kotetsu, you should also read the SPCR Scythe Ninja 4: A Legend Reborn it will make you want to buy it. I still think any of the coolers above are very similar and equally worth in terms of good value with good performance and can quietly cool todays cpus to our standards, im more a fan of Thermalright overall, but both (scythe) deliver very good coolers overall, probably the two other that i would say its on their level are Noctua and Prolimatech but most of the time is more expensive (again not sure on UK).
Thanks and I did notice that the version 4 was out and reviewed but not read it before you mentioned it.
I had the original Ninja with a Q6600 at 3GHz and that system was silent in usage.
I was imagining that I could get away with something smaller these days but I'd like to have the headroom for a 95W CPU.
The Ninja 4 is £35.47 at QuietPC but as I have free shipping at Scan it's still cheaper there.
I'll have to look at the fitting mechanisms, RAM clearance, weight etc and see what stands out and then compare prices.

Abula

Post by Abula » Sun May 06, 2018 9:43 am

smilingcrow wrote:I was imagining that I could get away with something smaller these days but I'd like to have the headroom for a 95W CPU.
You probably right, you can get away with something smaller, i would probably go with Loadstar suggestion into Arctic cooler, i personally haven't tested it, but seems a very capable and cheap cooler, that i would buy over the 212.

The thing is for me, i like big coolers, even on lower tdp cpus, usually it will allow you run them at lower rpms, and even under full load remain inaudible, but if you want a smaller cooler it should work out fine.