Here's my build so far.

Ryzen 2600
MSI Mortar B450M
1TB SSD
Corsair RM550X
Noctua NF-S12A
MSI 1060 6GB
Fractal Define Mini C

Seems like a pretty quiet build but I was wondering which cooler would be good for the 2600. Do you guys have any ideas? I thought a Mugen 5 would be overkill. I don't plan to OC because of the smart boost.

Abula

Re: Quiet cooler for a Ryzen 2600

Post by Abula » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:47 pm

You probably would be fine with Scythe Kotetsu, but you will also need the AM4 mount.

flyingsherpa
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by flyingsherpa » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:31 am

If you mean XFR2/PBO, I thought that was only on the x models? I might be confused...

I recently bought a Ryzen 2400g and put a noctua NH-L12s on it. It got hotter than I liked during some loads, though I suspect something weird was going on with my boost clocks (I was getting all cores at max boost, when it should have only been 1 core that hits that), after a reboot this behavior would change. I got tired of troubleshooting and just disabled all boost in BIOS, so I am limited to 3.6 Ghz max (the base), but that way I am also locked at 65W max (TDP for ryzen is spec'd at base clock, and seems to be accurate in my experience, per my kill-a-watt). For my uses, this is plenty. In hindsight, I wish I would have gotten a beefier cooler, though, like one of the 140mm noctua towers or a Mugen 5 or something. Other towers are cheaper than the noctuas, but noctua fans are very good (though ugly) so I think it's worth the premium. Very easy mounting too, though some require an AM4 kit.

traceracute

Post by traceracute » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:30 pm

Abula wrote:You probably would be fine with Scythe Kotetsu, but you will also need the AM4 mount.
How would the Kotetsu compare to the Mugen in thermals and noise? I'm assuming the Mugen would be better given the larger heatsink which means better temps and the newer fan with rubber vibration pads.

Abula

Post by Abula » Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:28 pm

traceracute wrote:
Abula wrote:You probably would be fine with Scythe Kotetsu, but you will also need the AM4 mount.
How would the Kotetsu compare to the Mugen in thermals and noise? I'm assuming the Mugen would be better given the larger heatsink which means better temps and the newer fan with rubber vibration pads.
Should be similar, both coolers are 120mm fan cooled, the mugen has the advantage of being offset to the back so proabaly any memory will fit, but performance wise, should be very similar.

traceracute

Post by traceracute » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:21 am

Abula wrote:
traceracute wrote:
Should be similar, both coolers are 120mm fan cooled, the mugen has the advantage of being offset to the back so proabaly any memory will fit, but performance wise, should be very similar.
Do you know what each one is rated? I think the Kotetsu is only rated for 95w or is it 65w?

Abula

Post by Abula » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:52 am

traceracute wrote:Do you know what each one is rated? I think the Kotetsu is only rated for 95w or is it 65w?
No, i don't know the ratings cooler TDP rating, but to me those ratings are meaningless, as with CPUs they are rough figure, just to get an idea but really dont tell you how or what to expect. I own atm Thermalright True Spirit Power, rated for 360W, and it struggles to cool a delided i9 7940x on air with 2x TY147A @14000rpms, by number its suppose to cool better than the Silver Arrow (to say a cooler from the same brand), and D15S, if it was correct it would have a breeze with the cpu, which @ stock has a 165W tdp, but in reality it struggles.

Honestly both coolers are good, the Kotestu was reviewed by SPCR and called it the A Compact King, and the mugen4 was also reviewed and came out well, the mugen5 was not review by SPCR, but in my personal inspection seems better all around, better mounting than Mugen3, more area of dissipation, more wide spread fins for better low rpm operation, etc. Now if you ask me, either its a good choice, and neither will be noticeable different in cooling or temperature, but i prefer Mugen5 since it already comes with AM4 mount and its offest in case i use taller memory. Others that are worth it imo is Thermalright Macho RevB and True Spirit 140 Power and Noctua NH-U14S (i like this one a lot, but because of pricing i don't recommended too much), but really depends on what you have available near you and the pricing.

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:07 pm

The Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. B (AM4 brackets included) has a significantly better fan than the original Kotetsu. It is a Kama Flex PWM fan with a fluid dynamic bearing with a Mean Time Before Failure (MTBF) of 120,000 hours; the Kotetsu is fitted with a GlideStream PWM fan which has a sleeve bearing with a MTFB of only 30,000 hours. The Kotetsu is cheaper than the Mugen 5 but less so if you factor in the need to buy the AM4 fittings for it. So given the difference in quality between the fans I think the approximately $20 price premium for the Mugen 5 is worth it.

teodoro

Post by teodoro » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:02 pm

I had the mugen 5 rev b on my 8700k running at 4.7 all core with a very slight negative voltage offset. I didn't love the fan because in the ~800+ rpm range it had a sort of friction type noise that I hesitate to label a grind. to me it was very subtle and I could only hear it if I listened for it. in my real world usage (gaming) the fan seldom actually had to spin that high so it didn't bother me. point being, I think the mugen is great (and for me the kotetsu was only ~$12 cheaper).

traceracute

Post by traceracute » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:43 pm

teodoro wrote:I had the mugen 5 rev b on my 8700k running at 4.7 all core with a very slight negative voltage offset. I didn't love the fan because in the ~800+ rpm range it had a sort of friction type noise that I hesitate to label a grind. to me it was very subtle and I could only hear it if I listened for it. in my real world usage (gaming) the fan seldom actually had to spin that high so it didn't bother me. point being, I think the mugen is great (and for me the kotetsu was only ~$12 cheaper).
Which would you say is more bearable the Kotetsu or Mugen 5? Also what were your temps on the 8700k?

teodoro

Post by teodoro » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:18 am

I never owned/used a kotetsu as the price difference at the time of ordering led me to pick the Mugen. CPU temperatures were a bit of an afterthought for me with that cooler so I don’t have precise numbers. At roughly 23C ambient, only avx prime95 would force the fan to go above ~50% speed with temperatures in the mid 70’s. In gaming (which is my only typical workload) I would let temperatures get into the 60’s but that’s in part because my fan curve was conservative and generally wouldn’t exceed 40%. Cpu fan speed/temperature was never a noticeable contributor of noise to for me, which I think says good things about the cooler